Chiang Mai Has Set Up Network Of Governance Volunteers

Jai Dee

Chiang Mai has set up network of governance volunteers

The northern province of Chiang Mai will form a local network of governance volunteers to help suppress corruption and other unlawful activities.

This morning (May 22) at the Northern Regional Office of the Bangkok of Thailand, Chiang Mai Governor Wichai Srikwan opened a training seminar for governance volunteers. The objective of this network is to carry forward national agenda of suppressing corruption and unlawful activities. During the preliminary stage, the training will be carried out in two Chiang Mai districts, namely Muang and San Pa Tong. The network includes a total of 506 volunteers from the private and public sectors in the regional and local levels.

The network of governance volunteers will join forces in preventing and suppressing corruption activities.

They will promote ethics, morality, good governance, and honesty, with an aim for Chiang Mai to have a good and attractive society.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2007

I'm going to get my girlfriend on this I think. She loves this kind of stuff. Over a number of years she's established a very fine network of military, police, civil servant, newspaper and political contacts (in Chiang mai and Bangkok). In the past year she shut down one forest encroacher near our area and sharply curtailed the corrupt activities of our khumnan and orbortor. She's like a pitbull with this stuff and has a pretty good sense about how far one can go without creating a problem for oneself. Basically you're just putting out new fires everywhere and no one is ever punished. She'd like to go further but there's never been mandate for that, or protection available, and this new scheme may not provide any also.

Chiang Mai has set up network of governance volunteers

The northern province of Chiang Mai will form a local network of governance volunteers to help suppress corruption and other unlawful activities.

This morning (May 22) at the Northern Regional Office of the Bangkok of Thailand, Chiang Mai Governor Wichai Srikwan opened a training seminar for governance volunteers. The objective of this network is to carry forward national agenda of suppressing corruption and unlawful activities. During the preliminary stage, the training will be carried out in two Chiang Mai districts, namely Muang and San Pa Tong. The network includes a total of 506 volunteers from the private and public sectors in the regional and local levels.

The network of governance volunteers will join forces in preventing and suppressing corruption activities.

They will promote ethics, morality, good governance, and honesty, with an aim for Chiang Mai to have a good and attractive society.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2007

I am not sure whether to be amused or bemused by this news item. However for there to be 506 volunteers is quite incredible. Are they trying to get in on the act or catch out the others already with their snout firmly lodged in the trough.

CB

More government B.S., I'd say.

Who are the volunteers?

What exactly will they do?

I figure it's simply the governor creating some 'good things for the folks to read' without really telling anyone anything...

Edited by Ajarn

The thing that always gets me about these news releases, is that they are announcing the training seminar begins today. I don't recall any prior announcement whereby the government was seeking these 500 plus volunteers for training. It almost makes you think that if such a program exists at all, it will be undertaken by handpicked personnell to achieve a directed outcome. If I had to guess I'd say that directed outcome will strongly resemble the status quo.