Have You Ever Met a Golf Star at a Thai Tourament?

ASEAN NOW Golf

In Thailand up to a few years ago, most of the big names in the game came over to Asia, and in particular Thailand to earn a few extra dollars by ending their seasons entering tournaments.

First in the 90's we had the Johnnie Walker Classic, a European tournament played in the Asia Pacific Region. Ernie, Tiger and Couples all played at the Phuket's Blue Canyon, and at Bangkok's Thai Country Club too. Ernie winning in 1997 and 2003 and a young Tiger in 1998 and 2000. Geoff Ogilvy also won at Alpine .

We then had the Volvo Masters at the Bangkok Golf Club in 2003  and at Thai Country Club from 2005 - 2008., won twice by Thongchai Jaidee. 

There was a memorable skins game in 2010 when Tiger flew in by helicopter at Amata Springs to play against Paul Casey, Camilo Villegas and Thongchai Jaidee.

Move forward to December 2011 and then Amata Springs started hosting the Thailand Championship, part of the Asian Tour.  With US$1Million at stake and a change to grab a quick holiday in the sun before Christmas, it attracted some stella fields. These including crowd favorites Bubba Watson, John Daly, and even a very young Tommy Fleetwood. Westwood won the first year, then Charl Schwartzel, Garcia, Westy again and the final year in 2015 Jamie Donaldson won.

While all this was going on the LPGA was developing a following first at Amata Spring in 2006, then it moved in 2009 to Siam Country Club's Plantaion and then in 2010 it moved at the Old Course, it's current venue. We got used to seeing a field of 72 players covering most of the top 50 ladies on the Rolex Ranking. 

These were other the big events on the calendar, with the Asian, European and LET tours bringing a few token stars to play.  Sadly we now only have the LPGA playing in Thailand while the other tours have departed.

I remember as a journalist how easy it was to say interview Sergio or Bubba before an event, as most of the local golf media here did not speak much English. So it was usually left to Roger Crutchley from the Bangkok Post, and myself as editor of Thai Golf News to ask the questions. We had a field day with a few exclusives along the way.

I have attached a few photos of stars I got to know during those years. Bubba, Rickie and Michelle

As I am sure many of you went to these events do let us know who you had a chance to chat to as well?

Mike Bridge Editor in Chief Golf in Thailand.

Mr Watson in Thailand.JPG

Rick Fowler.jpg

Michelle Wei.jpg

• Like 1