truck full of soil for garden

Kakricas

Good morning

Has anyone of you bought some soil for his garden? Before few months ago i ordered one small truck to come and unload a good quality soil (red colour) into my yard. I have just paid 900baht for this, i lost the contact and i am wondering if anyone of you knows someone.

Thank you

p.s i am based in Chalong

p.s2 the garden shops normally they overprice that's the reason i am asking here first

21 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Ouch

Cant help you with a contact, but thats a heck of a charge

I got 2 truckloads of top soil for my garden when laying new lawn, price was 280 baht a load !

can i ask you what kind of truck you mean, our normal pick ups or 6 wheeler.

• Like 1

Last time the below came in my house and unload the red soil. I paid 900baht for it. As i can not find the contact for similar truck i consider a pick up full of soil at a fair price. If you have any contacts please advice. By the way i was driving back home yesterday and i stopped to ask a garden shop for red soil and they have given me ridiculous pricing this is the reason that i post here. 

Thank you all and have a great day ahead.

image.png.58a71396e186e836d00cdcba1053cefa.png

22 hours ago, Kakricas said:

Before few months ago i ordered one small truck to come and unload a good quality soil (red colour) into my yard. I have just paid 900baht for this,

This soil is useless for anything except landfill for building on.

You'd have been better off buying sacks of 'Din Dee' from the local garden shop.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for your answers but what i got (red soil) worked perfectly fine in my garden. I have not used it to grow lawn though. Nevertheless, if you can help on the question (can you share a contact that can deliver red soil at a fair price) would be great if not there is no need for spamming. 

I appreciate your understanding and there is no need to open any non sense dispute here. 

cheers

Most locals will look for a site where dirt is being dug for a retention pond or building site, and make a deal to have their excess dirt delivered.  We've done this on several occasions in a different province, and have had hundreds of dump truck loads delivered for about 150-160 baht per load. Timing and location are everything!

7 hours ago, DrDave said:

Most locals will look for a site where dirt is being dug for a retention pond or building site, and make a deal to have their excess dirt delivered.  We've done this on several occasions in a different province, and have had hundreds of dump truck loads delivered for about 150-160 baht per load. Timing and location are everything!

this dirt cheap, in the village is 600.-baht for 6qm or one truck load.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:59 PM, KarenBravo said:

Red soil isn't that great for growing stuff due to a lack of certain minerals and it's failure to retain water.

Black topsoil is the best.

What color soil is most fertile?
Black/dark brown soil usually indicates the presence of decaying organic matter so is generally fertile. Pale brown/yellow soil often indicates that organic matter and nutrients are low and this generally means poor fertility and structure.

The advantages of red soil are:
  • Red soil has better drainage capacity compared to other soils and the soil is porous, fine grained and fertile in nature.
  • Red soils also have higher iron, lime content and aluminium.
  • Red soil has a high acidic nature.

12 hours ago, huuwi said:

this dirt cheap, in the village is 600.-baht for 6qm or one truck load.

We've done this three times in Phayao. The last time was about 18 months ago when we had 120 6-wheel truckloads delivered for about 150 baht each. The dirt came from a retention pond being dug at a rice farm, and they needed to get rid of the dirt as they were digging. They ran 4 trucks continuously between the dig site and our property all day, and were happy to dispose of the dirt at not much more than what it cost them to run the trucks.

• Like 1

It seems that the price is  very different in different regions. Red soil here in my area of Isaan would be unlikely to be good for agriculture . But other variations can be very viable but not exactly friable. There is very little naturally occurring black top soil in Thailand. Depending on location the quality can be quite different .

My GF near Chiang Rai gets  truckloads of soil from the rice fields, 150 baht per load. Grows anything. Apparently the fields silt up over time and the farmers are happy to get paid for what they have to get rid of anyway.

Not sure if Chalong would have any rice fields, though.

900 baht sounds excessive.

Goodmorning all.i find my way and got the soil that I wanted. I post the details and photos for future reference as I might help someone with this post. The contact details are in the bill.

Cheers

IMG_20210604_121515.jpg

IMG_20210604_095436.jpg

IMG_20210604_095405.jpg

IMG_20210604_095231.jpg

IMG_20210604_095229.jpg

IMG_20210604_095047.jpg

• Like 1