Durian and Alcohol-Beware!

It's absolutely true! About 30 years ago when I used to be a heavy drinker, I combined durian with several whiskeys and soda, and the next day I woke up sicker than I have even been in my life. It was only then that I was told I shouldn't have mixed the two. My current wife says the same thing, but since I no longer drink alcohol, I don't have to worry!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:58 AM, bermondburi said:

Some horrendous smelling poos. 

TMI.

I can imagine red wine and durian would be a disgusting combination.

One of the most dangerous medications to take with alcohol is paracetamol, found in most painkillers here. Can cause acute liver damage.

• Like 1

The OP’s wife is correct. Alcohol and durian do not mix as the durian on top of alcohol creates a very bad and often deadly form of gas in the stomach and can trigger many side effects. Over the years, I have seen and heard of quite a few deaths caused by consuming the 2 together.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, internationalism said:

even just eating durian in excess will make us sick.

mixed with poisons, as pure alcohol is, is risky.

you won't know, until you try on yourself.

probably in the morning, so you will have time to run to hospital in emergency

I drunk a dozen pints of beer then eaten a very toxic looking lamb donner kebab, and apart from being hungover, I always survived. I doubt that durian is any worse than a late-night donner kebab.

But by some of the logic touted here, it was the donner kebab that made my hangover worse, not the gallons of booze.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

you can get sick from eating durian in excess. Contain sulphur or such.

Possibly causing body to stop metabolise alcohol, so it accumulates. Similar to disulfiram effect in pharmocology 

The sulphurous compounds in durian are not comparable to disulfiram at all. Maybe enough to cause some skin-flushing or additional nausea, but unless you're talking about a lot of durian and a lot of alcohol, it's not something that you need to worry about.

You can eat a few pieces of durian and then go out and have a few beers, and you'll be fine, I know because I've done it.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, internationalism said:

good to know. Just distant comparison. Probably not worth trying. Might take away pleasure of eating and pleasure of drinking

Well, I don't get any pleasure from eating durian, nor do I get any pleasure from drinking Thai beers.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:58 AM, bermondburi said:

There was a study done by a Japanese university into this years ago. And whilst it's true that there is an enzyme present in durian that inhibits the body's ability to break down alcohol, you would have to be consuming alcohol in high concentrations, and at a rapid pace before it became dangerous. So unless you're knocking back neat spirits at rapid pace, which let's face it, could be dangerous anyway, then you've got nothing to worry about.

Thais who don't know any better have bought into the idea that any alcohol and durian is lethal and will kill you. 

I'm living proof that it won't. The disgusting, and I really do mean disgusting here, smelly s h **Ts on the toilet the next day, after a few beers and 3 or 4 pieces of durian will certainly come close though!! 

Some horrendous smelling poos. 

You're a classy guy

1 hour ago, BenDeCosta said:

Well, I don't get any pleasure from eating durian, nor do I get any pleasure from drinking Thai beers.

Wow , great news .

You are a kindler ?.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, fangless said:

Has anyone ever heard of this before or suffered any side effects when combining the two?

Typical wife suggestion so they can keep the durian to themselves. Every time I have beer and the wife has durian she tells me. Not that they go together but have never had any adverse affect having both.

Too many people here seem to believe everything their wives say. Because they're right about everything right??????????

How about being a man and saying to the wife, you know what, I'll just try a bit and see how I feel. 

Grow some!

• Sad 1

Alcohol is the World's Most Dangerous Drug because the "recreational" dosage typically consumed by Alcoholics is very, very close to the fatal dosage.

I used to live near a University that was famous for its party, drinking scene.

Almost every year one or two people died after drinking "games". ????

52 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Too many people here seem to believe everything their wives say. Because they're right about everything right??????????

How about being a man and saying to the wife, you know what, I'll just try a bit and see how I feel. 

Grow some!

I suggest you actually read my OP in full, especially the bit about Mr. Google, and not just the headline!

Edited by fangless

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

even just eating durian in excess will make us sick.

mixed with poisons, as pure alcohol is, is risky.

you won't know, until you try on yourself.

probably in the morning, so you will have time to run to hospital in emergency

Have you been experimenting with an excess of Durian and alcohol by any chance before that post?

36 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Alcohol is the World's Most Dangerous Drug because the "recreational" dosage typically consumed by Alcoholics is very, very close to the fatal dosage.

I used to live near a University that was famous for its party, drinking scene.

Almost every year one or two people died after drinking "games". ????

I have never drunk a "game"! what does it taste like?

7 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Any Fruit combined with Alcohol will be a problem.

The Sugars that are omni-present in all Fruits will turn into Alcohol in the Gut while being digested.

Remember Fruit Punches ?

Biochemically this is nonsense. Humans do not possess enzymes that can turn sugar into alcohol, this is what yeasts do!

A medical condition does exist where some people have an abnormally high level of certain yeasts or abnormal bacteria in their small intestine, sometimes as a result of very prolonged  treatment with certain antibiotics.

This condition is incredibly rare, so that in  a study of the condition in the US, the authors considered themselves lucky to have been able to accumulate as many as 28 patients from the entire country (see  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6475837/).

This extreme rarity means the idea that fruit will be converted to alcohol in your gut applies to nearly no-one, and should not be taken seriously!

• Like 1