Ubon golf

kensisaket

Update for anyone interested in playing golf in Ubon.  The RTAFB golf course is undergoing a major renovation.  A rough guess would be they have already spent north of 100 million baht pretty much changing the whole course design/layout.  Hundreds of trees have been removed; and, water hazards have been expanded/added to nearly every hole.  Three new holes have been added, at least 6 holes have had their greens changed/moved; and, tees have been moved/lengthened on many holes.  Two of the new holes are par 5's (not open yet) that appear to be in the 600-700 yard range in length. You almost need binoculars to see the green(s) from the tee boxes.  My guess is it will be close to another year before completion; but, the base commander has put everything on a fast track; so, it could be done in 6 months.  I have to say, it's an amazing sight to see that much money being spent on a military golf course in Thailand (actually anywhere for that matter).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joebrown said:

I'm sure this is wonderful news for non golfing Thai tax payers and those whose incomes have disappeared, without any income support from the government, during the  current pandemic.

My post had a dual purpose. First to point out the changes; and, second to shed some light on the money being spent without getting too political.  At least someone was able to read between the lines to get the second part.  

16 hours ago, kensisaket said:

My post had a dual purpose. First to point out the changes; and, second to shed some light on the money being spent without getting too political.  At least someone was able to read between the lines to get the second part.  

I live a long way from Ubon, but I do play golf regularly on a Military course in my province. Coincidentally, my course is also undergoing extensive re development. It seems a misappropriation of taxpayers' money in current circumstances and demonstrates the total disregard the military have for the common people.