Police, Thief, 2 Bystanders Killed In Clash

george

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting the focus on the guns. Typical preoccupation from people who aren't free to own them.

As for me, I'm angry at the loss of the Durien vendor.

Different perspectives I guess.

:o

kenk3z

"Typical preoccupation from people who aren't free to own them."

You can be as free as you like to own them - I am glad we can not in the UK and that will never change now as we have learned our lesson from letting nutters have guns - seem some countries will never learn

Funny about the UK, huh? Nobody can own a gun. The coppers never used to carry 'em. Now, all you see is bloody coppers standing around with submachine guns and flak jackets. What for? Does that make you folks feel safe or does it sort of send a chill up your spine? Just curious as it seems a little ominous.

Oh yeah. To stay on topic...real tragedy about all that. I think it's funny that people are lamenting the cops who got shot down, because they're automatically good guys right? PAAhahaha Who knows? Maybe they were boy scouts.

Edited by dkstoney

Police, thief, 2 bystanders killed in clash

BANGKOK: -- One police officer, a thief and two bystanders were killed at Talat (market) Thai in the Thon Buri section of Bangkok early Wednesday, when police clashed with a gang of car thieves.

Two other officers were also critically wounded in the shootout.

Pol Maj Gen Prapan Panikom, commander of Phathum Thani provincial police, said police are hunting down two more thieves who are on the run.

Police found equipment used in stealing cars of all types, and two guns at the body of the dead thief.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-05-23

In here they say the Thon-Buri section of Bangkok, which it isn't. Can I presume that's just a printing error?

Kinda confused me reading this then the next report. As someone else mentoined; it seemed like they were different incidents.

I think its very odd that someone is walking around with a kalashnikov and 2 grenades.

the guy must be realy insane.

no one walk in to a police station armed for war to complain about a bike.

this guy had a reason or he was out of his mind.

so sorry an inocent man died.

As for holding Guns. I think most people who own guns usualy rely on a pistol rather then a machine gun.

As for the UK. I think you can be a police force if the vilans are packing guns and you only walk around with a stick. :o

Doubtless, more utter fabrication from the police. He turned up with a hidden AK-47. :o

Every time the completely indisciplined Thai police kill bystanders, the cover-up begins. They probably shot the policeman too.

Wow,seems thailand is not behind in the splur of violence what is occuring more and more on daily basis in a lot of other places around the world.it almost looks like a trend is going on.Very sad indeed and I wish me and all other people on the forum never have to engage in such useless violence,it makes me sad,in the these days things can happen and come from any corner on anyplace,we should be aware it could be just around the corner,and that the nice lady who sells durian to you was the unwanted victim of a totally craze man.So useless,such a waste.

As for the UK. I think you can be a police force if the vilans are packing guns and you only walk around with a stick. :o

Did you miss a "don't" out from your last sentence? :D

In the UK, it's the nutters that have the guns and the law abiding folks are at their mercy.

Hmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! three granades an Ak and night vision equipment, not exactly the normal car thief.

Wonder where thi story will lead.

Where did you read "three grenades"? I didn't see that...

post-27080-1179913287_thumb.jpg

The unidentified man armed with AK49 assault rifle and three M26 grenades was killed in the clash with Pathum Thani police.

post-27080-1179914348_thumb.jpg

The M26 has a filling of Composition B contained within a sheet steel two part outer shell which covers a prenotched fragmentation coil inner liner. The use of the inner liner creates a highly predictable fragment pattern and causality radius.

Looking at your posted pictures, it looks like he may have been up to more than stealing cars. Could be he is affiliated with the problems down south. Most car thieves in the States may have a handgun, due to concealment, a slim jim, and screwdriver to pop the ingnition. Ak's and grenades and nightvision goggles sounds more like a possible mission of some sort. Not typical tools of a car thief who typically wants to grab the car and go. Also, why did he not use at least one grenade to get away? Obviously he was better armed than the police. Kind of a confusing story...

Edited by PuaSai

The unidentified man armed with AK49 assault rifle and three M26 grenades was killed in the clash with Pathum Thani police.

The M26 has a filling of Composition B contained within a sheet steel two part outer shell which covers a prenotched fragmentation coil inner liner. The use of the inner liner creates a highly predictable fragment pattern and causality radius.

The always helpful and informative asd. :o

Thank you once again for your posts and your unrivaled photographs... :D

I hope to see you back again posting soon on the political front. :D

On May 30, keep us here at thaivisa in mind, please, for your unique access to the breaking news...

I was researching Thailand statistics as compared to some other countries a couple months ago - population demographics, economic stats, and what have you. I ran into a website called - nationmaster.com - which has some interesting and startling statistics about LOS as well as other countries. According to the site, Thailand is the 3rd most 'trigger happy' country, with only S. Africa and Colombia outperforming Thailand in the category. The US comes in at a wimpy #8 with UK hardly even making it on to the charts at #32. According to the site your chances of getting shot to death are over 11 times greater here than in the US. Looking on the bright side that is a lot better than S. Africa at about 25 times greater. Thailand is #1 in rice exports and % of women incarcerated. If you visit the site, don't waste too much time there, and take everything with a grain of salt (preferably on your rice).

So now it comes out this guy stabbed the first guy to death and was stealing motorcycles with a AK47 and Grenades and being financed by some offshore ATM his momma was plugged into. Hey drunk tourist guys who marry hookers, don't send your dumbasss wannabe mafia adult stepmonsters violent video games and gun money.

Gunman runs amok

Enraged loner and gun enthusiast kills three, injures seven in two-hour clash with police, guards at Pathum Thani market

A bloody two-hour gunfight between an enraged gunman and scores of police officers at an open market on the outskirts of Bangkok ended yesterday in the death of four people, including the attacker. Seven others were injured, some of them seriously.

Kiartipong Meksawat, 21, armed with an AK47 assault rifle, went on a shooting spree just before dawn yesterday after stabbing to death a security guard, Sa-ard Khamsri, at the Thai Market in Pathum Thani's Klong Luang district.

Police said Sa-ard became Kiartipong's first victim after he questioned whether Kiartipong was the rightful owner of a motorcycle parked at the entrance of the market.

Moments later, the shooting spree began as police arrived at the crime scene to investigate an incident that soon became even more bloody than they initially anticipated.

Market women and wholesale buyers ducked for cover as gunfire was exchanged between the young man and police.

A durian seller, On Thongsuk, 46, and Pol Sergeant Issara Maneesaeng, were the gunman's next victims, while a pickup truck driver Theerayuth Sri-ariyakul, 30, who refused to give the gunman a lift, was shot and wounded.

A motorcycle taxi driver, Prasert Wabanthap, also took a stray bullet in his right leg.

Kiartipong was running for cover when he shot at Issara, hitting the officer in the head. Several others - including Pol Lt Col Ritthinan Puipanthawong, who was also injured - scrambled to get away from the hail of fire.

Doctors at the Thammasat Hospital in Rangsit sub-district performed surgery to remove the bullet from Ritthinan's stomach. He was later transferred to the Police Hospital in Bangkok, where he was put in the intensive care unit.

During the gunfight, Pol Private Virote Boonlawong was hit in the leg and stomach. Doctors said he is still in a critical condition as the bullets hit main blood vessels.

Two hours after the stabbing incident at Soi Aiyara 1/1, not far from where the first victim lay dead, Kiartipong was finally shot dead by police.

Initial investigations provided a glimpse into Kiartipong's personality.

It is known that he meditated, visited temples, yet also owned handguns, loved to play violent video games, read 'Guns and Ammo' magazines and had no friends except his sister, who visited him regularly.

"He was a loner," said Metropolitan Police Area 2 commander, Maj-General Amnuay Nimmano.

Police searched his apartment and found two fully loaded AK47 magazines, 35 rounds of bullets for .22mm handguns, three knives and one samurai sword, ninja-style throwing stars, weapon magazines and combative computer games.

Kiartipong was last seen leaving his apartment on his motorbike at about 9pm on Tuesday.

Police found in Kiartipong's possession some tools, which they believed he used to steal motorbikes, a mobile phone, and three AK47 magazines.

Police said they were not ruling out the possibility that Kiartipong may have been part of a gang behind a series of motorcycle thefts.

Amnuay, who led the search, said Kiartipong had been renting the room for over a month. The rent was paid for by his sister, who visited him regularly. She accompanied the police during the search yesterday.

Amnuay said Kiartipong's mother had married a foreign man and lived abroad. His mother sent him money regularly, he said.

The Nation

The OTHER shooting spree that occurred yesterday that resulted in 3 deaths, including ANOTHER TWO policemen.... :D :D but in this one, the gunman is still loose.... :o

SHOOTING RAMPAGE

Jilted husband sought for killing 3, wounding 2

Search for gunman who shot policeman who had affair with his wife, plus friends

Police are hunting a man who killed three people, including two police officers, and wounded two others in a shooting rampage late on Tuesday night. The man was apparently enraged because his former wife had had an affair with one of the police officers killed.

The gunman has been identified as Montree Saenkham.

Tha Kham police have ordered officers to exercise extreme caution - and to shoot to kill, if necessary - because Montree is said to have good shooting skills from his frequent hunting trips.

Police found Montree's car yesterday abandoned on Rama II Road in Samut Sakhon province. The vehicle was discovered near the crime scene, an electrical-appliance shophouse located behind Central Rama II department store.

The shophouse was co-owned by Siriphorn Nutadee, one of the murder victims, who was a sister of Nittaya Nutadee, the gunman's former wife.

Police quoted witnesses as saying that Montree, armed with a pistol, raided the shophouse from a nearby hiding place and opened fire on Siriphorn and her husband Suchart at around 10.30pm on Tuesday night after the two had just had dinner with three police officers.

Montree had waited until the three officers left the shophouse before making his attack.

Siriphorn was seriously wounded and was later pronounced dead in hospital, while her husband was only wounded slightly.

The gunman then ran after a car in which the three police officers were already driving away from the shophouse. He fired at the vehicle and the three officers got out and tried to escape.

Montree walked up to Pol Sr Sgt Major Banjong Katemanee, the driver, who was behind the car, and shot him, killing him instantly. He then shot Pol Colonel Praphon Klaekosol, the officer who was having an affair with his former wife. Praphon also died instantly.

Pol Lt Colonel Natthaphong Boolong was also shot, and he lay unconscious as Montree fled the scene in his car. Natthaphong is still in a critical condition in the emergency unit of Nakhon Thon Hospital.

The three officers were assigned to Metropolitan Police Division 9.

Praphon, 54, had been seeing Nittaya, 32, since he was divorced from his wife in 2000. Nittaya and Montree, who had two children together, were divorced in 2001.

A source said Montree, 40, had been trying to renew his relationship with Nittaya but she continually refused.

Montree had reportedly been angry with Siriphorn as he believed she kept encouraging her sister to continue seeing Praphon instead of going back to Montree. Tha Kham police have pressed six criminal charges against Montree.

Division commander Pol Maj General Phanurat Meephian said the police were also looking into other possible motives for the shootings apart from the affair between Praphon, a division deputy commander, and Nittaya, who jointly owned the electrical-appliance shop with Siriphorn.

- The Nation

I was researching Thailand statistics as compared to some other countries a couple months ago - population demographics, economic stats, and what have you. I ran into a website called - nationmaster.com - which has some interesting and startling statistics about LOS as well as other countries. According to the site, Thailand is the 3rd most 'trigger happy' country, with only S. Africa and Colombia outperforming Thailand in the category. The US comes in at a wimpy #8 with UK hardly even making it on to the charts at #32. According to the site your chances of getting shot to death are over 11 times greater here than in the US. Looking on the bright side that is a lot better than S. Africa at about 25 times greater. Thailand is #1 in rice exports and % of women incarcerated. If you visit the site, don't waste too much time there, and take everything with a grain of salt (preferably on your rice).

I am a bit surprised at these statistics that you posted. Thailand is 3rd? US is 8th? Try looking up any local newspaper from any major city in the US and you will find that Thailand doesn't even come close when it comes to murder or using a gun. What about the middle east? Try the Philippines. I have lived in Thailand for the past 12 years and one of many reasons why? Because it is safer here than in most places in the US. Thailand has it's fair share of gun toting citizens but carrying a gun and using a gun are two different ideologys. I once heard that better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one. I think this describes the gun carrying Thais

I am a bit surprised at these statistics that you posted.

Many people are when they hear this the first time, but this numbers are tru. Farang "feelings" do not work very reliable in South East Asia.

I'm afraid NationMaster need to clean up their data before their figures can be taken seriously.

In the overall statistics for "murder", Thailand comes 14th with a figure of 0.08:

Murders (per capita) by country # 14 Thailand: 0.0800798 per 1,000 people

But, in the sub-set of "murders with firearms", the figure is 0.31!!

Murders with firearms (per capita) by country #3 Thailand: 0.312093 per 1,000 people

So NationMaster need to explain how there can be 4 times more murders "committed with firearms" than there are murders overall.

I am a bit surprised at these statistics that you posted.

Many people are when they hear this the first time, but this numbers are tru. Farang "feelings" do not work very reliable in South East Asia.

I'm afraid NationMaster need to clean up their data before their figures can be taken seriously.

In the overall statistics for "murder", Thailand comes 14th with a figure of 0.08:

Murders (per capita) by country # 14 Thailand: 0.0800798 per 1,000 people

But, in the sub-set of "murders with firearms", the figure is 0.31!!

Murders with firearms (per capita) by country #3 Thailand: 0.312093 per 1,000 people

So NationMaster need to explain how there can be 4 times more murders "committed with firearms" than there are murders overall.

I looked at the Nationmaster stats some time ago and was not impressed. There were quite a few discrepancies and things that just did not add up--not only for Thailand but for other countries as well.

I am a bit surprised at these statistics that you posted. Thailand is 3rd? US is 8th? Try looking up any local newspaper from any major city in the US and you will find that Thailand doesn't even come close when it comes to murder or using a gun. What about the middle east? Try the Philippines. I have lived in Thailand for the past 12 years and one of many reasons why? Because it is safer here than in most places in the US. Thailand has it's fair share of gun toting citizens but carrying a gun and using a gun are two different ideologys. I once heard that better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one. I think this describes the gun carrying Thais

No. In the USA the media and government want the citizens to live in fear so every violent crime is reported with great hysteria. Works great to control the population and pass unconstitutional and undemocratic laws like the Patriot Act with barely a whimper of public outcry.

The reality is crime rates are far higher in places like the UK for every category of violent crime except gun murders. Violent crime rates are even higher in Thailand but you don’t hear about most of it unless you read the Thai newspapers. Plus a lot of crime goes unreported.

Most murders in the USA are drug related and committed in inner city areas. Murder rates in small towns, suburban areas, and countryside are lower than most everywhere in Europe.

Maybe if the average law-abiding Thai could own a gun this nut wouldn’t have been able to run around for 2 hours shooting people as they could have defended themselves.

No. In the USA the media and government want the citizens to live in fear so every violent crime is reported with great hysteria. Works great to control the population and pass unconstitutional and undemocratic laws like the Patriot Act with barely a whimper of public outcry.

The reality is crime rates are far higher in places like the UK for every category of violent crime except gun murders. Violent crime rates are even higher in Thailand but you don’t hear about most of it unless you read the Thai newspapers. Plus a lot of crime goes unreported.

Most murders in the USA are drug related and committed in inner city areas. Murder rates in small towns, suburban areas, and countryside are lower than most everywhere in Europe.

Maybe if the average law-abiding Thai could own a gun this nut wouldn’t have been able to run around for 2 hours shooting people as they could have defended themselves.

The average law-abiding Thai can own a gun through a fairly simple licensing process and many do. You need to show basic ID and house registration documents, a relatively low bank balance and I think you need an employment reference. (For those who are interested foreigners are not specifically excluded but most can't show a house registration certificate which effectively excludes most of them. I believe certain provincial governors, e.g. Phuket, have arbitrarily decreed that they won't issue licences to foreigners in their provinces.) Carry permits are very hard to obtain tho and have to be renewed annually. So most Thais can only keep their guns in their homes but many flaunt this law by carrying registered guns on their persons or in their cars. Getting back to the point I don't see how even allowing Thais to carry concealed weapons would have prevented this case. The police had guns which didn't stop them from getting shot.

The always helpful and informative asd. :D

Thank you once again for your posts and your unrivaled photographs... :D

I hope to see you back again posting soon on the political front. :D

On May 30, keep us here at thaivisa in mind, please, for your unique access to the breaking news...

Hello SJ :o This is a great website for checking the current Thailand situation.

Whatever the ins and outs of this case, the bottom line is that the police have one hel_l of a difficult job and sometimes as in this situation get the shit end of the deal.

No one should ever say that they wear the uniform, so take the consequenies.

Every day the police are out there risking their lives for us.

A policeman is our best friend, appreciate it, as maybe one day you may be in need of one these friends to rescue you.

Edited by distortedlink

Whatever the ins and outs of this case, the bottom line is that the police have one hel_l of a difficult job and sometimes as in this situation get the shit end of the deal.

No one should ever say that they wear the uniform, so take the consequenies.

Every day the police are out there risking their lives for us.

A policeman is our best friend, appreciate it, as maybe one day you may be in need of one these friends to rescue you.

Been in Thailand long, mate? :o

Update:

AK47-armed gunman kills 3 in suburban Bangkok

PATHUM THANI: -- Four persons died in suburban Bangkok Wednesday morning -- a gunman, a police officer, and two bystanders -- when a man armed with an AK-47 assault weapon and police here exchanged gunfire in a key green- and agro-industrial market.

The unidentified gunman, believed by police to part of a transnational car theft ring, was killed in the clash with Pathum Thani police. The dead assailant had extra ammunition and a set of automobile master keys in the pockets.

Police Corporal Wichet Samranlertwichai was killed in the incident, along with two innocent passers-by identified as Theerayuth Sriarayakul and Sa-ard Kamsri.

According to police, the gunman -- whose identity is being investigated -- was thought to be preparing to rob a trader in Pathum Thani's Talad Thai.

Police are investigating the incident and the car theft ring.

Talad Thai is a central market for agricultural goods and integrated agro industries. Located on a 200 acre site, the market supports a flow of over 15,000 tons of agricultural produce and products daily, making it a busy meeting place for traders and entrepreneurs.

--TNA 2007-05-23

Could it be possible he was trying to get his hands on some ammonium nitrate based fertiliser. The type used by Tim in the Oklahoma bombing of Federal building. Just a thought...

Edited by dingue2rep

i live here and its seems fine to me better than london and manchester anyway very quiet and the local people are very nice

Well, that's good.

I have on more occasions than i can count picked up people injured and killed in fights in that exact area (and several times during that experienced some hairy situation myself).

'Dalat Thai' is well known for being a very rough place. Closed to 'Dalat Thai' is 'Nava Nakhorn' - an industrial development zone privately owned - and an urban nightmare right out of a science fiction novel. Regular gang fights and shoot outs, mostly populated by rural migrants.

If you around on the streets in that area at night, in the entertainment areas, the lower class Mu Bans, the slums and the migrant living quarters - then you will see very soon that the Nationmaster statistics are not far from reality.

the Nationmaster statistics are not far from reality.

But their figures don't add up:

0.08 per 1,000 people murdered (per capita)

0.31 per 1,000 people murdered with firearms (per capita)