Must I get 12 month insurance 43k. To re enter Thailand on retirement visa ? + Vaccine inUSA?

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Wouldn't there be a check on your outbound flight to ensure you were leaving within the 90 days?

If you have a valid visa or re-entry permit you do not need a return or onward flight.

The 90 days of insurance is required to apply for a certificate of entry.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

So I'm assuming he has an extension with a multiple re-entry permit.

Then he doesn't need the Health Insurance to enter Thailand.

He may have it, but it isn't a condition.

He only got it because he needed it to re-enter.

I'll try to find out where he got that requirement from, but when I asked if it's checked on entry he confirmed.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Uroller said:

My visa actually has Retirement at the top in red????

Your visa was issued with a particular classification: ie for reason of retirement. The same visa could have been issued for reason of marriage. The classification no more makes it a retirement visa than it makes it a marriage visa. It is a non immigrant O or OA visa with reason for issuance of retirement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a valid visa or re-entry permit you do not need a return or onward flight.

The 90 days of insurance is required to apply for a certificate of entry.

To be clear he has both

1. The US$100k Covid cover

2. The Baht 400k outpatient cover

And feels that BOTH are required for him to return

Are you saying he doesn't need 1.? or 2.? or both?

Edited by LongTimeLurker
typo

30 minutes ago, tonray said:

Your visa was issued with a particular classification: ie for reason of retirement. The same visa could have been issued for reason of marriage. The classification no more makes it a retirement visa than it makes it a marriage visa. It is a non immigrant O or OA visa with reason for issuance of retirement.

I think his 'Visa', may be an extension.  ????

Difficult to know unless they know the difference.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'll try to find out where he got that requirement from, but when I asked if it's checked on entry he confirmed.

They'll look at anything you give them on entry, doesn't mean it was required.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think his 'Visa', may be an extension.  ????

Difficult to know unless they know the difference.

You're correct of course because there is no 'red' writing on the actual visa stickers to my knowledge. But the extension stamp would have this.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

1. The US$100k Covid cover

2. The Baht 400k outpatient cover

The 400/40K Health Insurance is only required to obtain certain Visas types from a Thai Embassy, OR re-entering with a re-entry permit when your original Visa was a Non Imm O-A/O-X.

The Covid Insurance is required for the COE.

If your friend originally entered on a Non O and now extended his stay (extensions) and re-entering with a re-entry permit, then he is mistaken to believe he requires both.

8 minutes ago, tonray said:

You're correct of course because there is no 'red' writing on the actual visa stickers to my knowledge. But the extension stamp would have this.

My extension have been stamped with 'retirement', then 'marriage' at the top of the permit in both red and blue.

I know the Embassies put a notation on O-A Visas as to the required Health Insurance.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:17 AM, ubonjoe said:

The only insurance needed is the $100k covid 19 insurance if you extended a non-o visa entry and you can get insurance up at the age of 99.

Look at this site. https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

When I spoke to the Thai embassy in London 3 days ago I was told that everyone must have covid19 and medical insurance for the length of stay . The link you have shown is covid only and does not include ordinary medical insurance which seems to be difficult to get when 75 years old and up .

I believe the AXA ins company have the 2 insurances combined but limit is 74 years old .

13 minutes ago, superal said:

When I spoke to the Thai embassy in London 3 days ago I was told that everyone must have covid19 and medical insurance for the length of stay .

That is incorrect information.

They may have meant Covid Insurance which includes medical treatment of the virus.

The separate Health Insurance 400/40K general treatment (illness, accidents) is only required when applying for certain Visa types, not for re-entering Thailand on a re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement (or marriage).

On 6/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

The only insurance needed is the $100k covid 19 insurance if you extended a non-o visa entry and you can get insurance up at the age of 99.

Look at this site. https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

Joe, My daughter is visiting me from USA in January. My current NON-O will not expire until June 2022. We are to vacation in Singapore for two weeks. I planned on requesting a re-entry when we leave. Do I understand that only the 100K insurance is needed to be in effect January to June?

@LongTimeLurker

Afterthought!

Ask your friend is he required to provide this 400/40K Health Insurance to his local Immigration office in order to obtain a 1 year extension.

If yes, then he certainly originally had a Non Imm O-A Visa (with the exception of Phuket IO).

If no, then he originally had a Non Imm O and certainly doesn't require the Health Insurance to re-enter on a re-entry permit.

10 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Joe, My daughter is visiting me from USA in January. My current NON-O will not expire until June 2022. We are to vacation in Singapore for two weeks. I planned on requesting a re-entry when we leave. Do I understand that only the 100K insurance is needed to be in effect January to June?

Your Non O has almost certainly expired, you obtained an extension (a permit, not a Visa) of your permission of stay for 1 year, valid until June 2022.

You only require the $100 Covid Insurance to obtain the COE for re-entry with a re-entry permit. The Insurance must cover the period of stay granted on entry.

In your case that permission of stay will be until June 2022. (The expiry date of your extension).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Your Non O has almost certainly expired, you obtained an extension (a permit, not a Visa) of your permission of stay for 1 year, valid until June 2022.

You only require the $100 Covid Insurance to obtain the COE for re-entry with a re-entry permit. The Insurance must cover the period of stay granted on entry.

In your case that permission of stay will be until June 2022. (The expiry date of your extension).

I appreciate you helping me Yesterday I spent one hour at CM Immigration getting a new one year visa. My old one year visa was schedule to expire on Friday. 

10 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I appreciate you helping me Yesterday I spent one hour at CM Immigration getting a new one year visa. My old one year visa was schedule to expire on Friday. 

Hi Earl, it's not a 'Visa', it's a 'permit' (of stay).

At some point you would have originally had a Non Imm O Visa, which grated you permission of stay for 90 days. You then apply to extend that stay for a further 365 days each and every year (an extension of your permission of stay).

I know Immigration officers and agents call it a 'Visa', but you cannot extend a Visa, it has an expiry date. My guess is they don't know the difference themselves, or describing it as a 'Visa' just makes their life less difficult.

You could have applied for a re-entry permit yesterday whilst at CW.

Single entry are 1,000 baht, multiple entry 3,800 baht.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Hi Earl, it's not a 'Visa', it's a 'permit' (of stay).

At some point you would have originally had a Non Imm O Visa, which grated you permission of stay for 90 days. You then apply to extend that stay for a further 365 days each and every year (an extension of your permission of stay).

I know Immigration officers and agents call it a 'Visa', but you cannot extend a Visa, it has an expiry date. My guess is they don't know the difference themselves, or describing it as a 'Visa' just makes their life less difficult.

You could have applied for a re-entry permit yesterday whilst at CW.

Single entry are 1,000 baht, multiple entry 3,800 baht.

Yes you are correct This is an extension of stay to 2022. The insurance is notated as $100K Is the yearly cost about 3000 baht?

42 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That is incorrect information.

They may have meant Covid Insurance which includes medical treatment of the virus.

The separate Health Insurance 400/40K general treatment (illness, accidents) is only required when applying for certain Visa types, not for re-entering Thailand on a re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement (or marriage).

Sorry but both insurances are needed according to the Thai embassy , no exemptions including me on a re-entry retirement extension , applies to all I was told , hope I am wrong , waiting for Ubon Joes opinion , then I will call embassy again if needed .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Yes you are correct This is an extension of stay to 2022. The insurance is notated as $100K Is the yearly cost about 3000 baht?

You can obtain the required Covid Insurance online here: Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org)

Prices reflect the period of Cover and the risk factor of the Country your entering from.

1 year cover from Singapore is 14,400.

When do you plan to go and return to Thailand?

5 minutes ago, superal said:

Sorry but both insurances are needed according to the Thai embassy , no exemptions including me on a re-entry retirement extension , applies to all I was told , hope I am wrong , waiting for Ubon Joes opinion , then I will call embassy again if needed .

The Embassy confused a lot of people.

If you have an extension with a re-entry permit as many will testify, the 400/40K Health Insurance was not required to obtain the COE.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can obtain the required Covid Insurance online here: Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org)

Prices reflect the period of Cover and the risk factor of the Country your entering from.

1 year cover from Singapore is 14,400.

When do you plan to go and return to Thailand?

Leave in January and return I January.  I have lived here 5 years now and had used re-entry before when I vacationed in Bali two year ago. Prior to vacations two months in California. Now I see this is Covid related requirements and looks like where I vacation is related to risk of the country I re-enter from. Correct?

Edited by earlinclaifornia

5 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Two weeks

Thanks.

The Country you'll be arriving from is Singapore. (Country of origin).

You'll need to purchase the 180 day Covid Insurance > 7,680 BHT.

I certainly hope quarantine restrictions have been lifted by then.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The Embassy confused a lot of people.

If you have an extension with a re-entry permit as many will testify, the 400/40K Health Insurance was not required to obtain the COE.

Thanks ,   Just phoned the embassy for confirmation but I was number 18 in the queue so I have sent them an email . BTW my friend says same as you , medical ins not needed with a re-entry permit but Thai lady at embassy said I must have but their web page does not specify that . Confusing and I do not want to get turned around at the airport for not complying with the rules .

1 minute ago, superal said:

Thanks ,   Just phoned the embassy for confirmation but I was number 18 in the queue so I have sent them an email . BTW my friend says same as you , medical ins not needed with a re-entry permit but Thai lady at embassy said I must have but their web page does not specify that . Confusing and I do not want to get turned around at the airport for not complying with the rules .

You won't be turned away if you have the COE.

If you needed the 400/40K Health Insurance they'd require it for the COE - they don't.

Have you read and understood the COE requirements?

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you needed the 400/40K Health Insurance they'd require it for the COE - they don't.

Required documents for the Certificate of Entry (apart from visa or re-entry permit) : Copied from Thai embssy web page below 

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

- Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

35 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Just received an email reply from embassy ref; insurance requirements 

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry. Our requirement is a copy of insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD – please print the insurance certificate and all pages of the terms and conditions on the COVID coverage and medical benefits (some people were refused to board the flight because they could not show that their insurance meet this requirement).

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

• Thanks 1