3BB internet connection – any thing I should do first before I call the service people.

Bill Poster

I have recently had a 3BB fibre internet connection installed in my house and originally it seemed to be working well . The 3BB package I signed up for is the The 3BB GIGA Fiber  Download speed – 1000 Mbps / Upload speed – 300 Mbps.

My computer has a direct wired connection to the 3BB router via an ethernet cable. The 3BB installation people originally first tested the connection speed by using my computer and going to this web page …. https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

The results from that very first internet speed test are shown on screen shot – A

Ive now noticed that the download speed seems to be getting slower , so I went to this internet speed test web page …..   https://testmy.net/ . And the current results from that web site are shown on screen shot - B 

As you can see there is a big difference between the speed test results as shown on screen shot A and screen shot B.

I have replaced the original ethernet cable and I have also done a speed test on a second computer I own , which was also connected to the 3BB router via ethernet cable. The speed test results on that second computer were the same as shown in screen shot B.

So I was wondering before I contact 3BB and ask them to come and check things out , if there’s any thing else I should personally check or can do .

Thanks.

A.jpg

B.jpg

Unplug the router ,wait 10 mins and switch back on again, 

Do you have AdGuard  Ad blocker installed ?,I have it on

couple of my PC's and it cuts the speed  by 50% . .

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Unplug the router ,wait 10 mins and switch back on again, 

Do you have AdGuard  Ad blocker installed ?,I have it on

couple of my PC's and it cuts the speed  by 50% . .

regards worgeordie

Hi and thanks , this is a screen shot just now with my browser ad blockers turned off 

C.jpg

I have that same package and it's slower than my previous True package which was rated only half as fast. Connection falls out more often, too. If you call, in my experience, they push some magic button and your speed will return for a bit. I don't know what strings they're pulling but I imagine it's something like robbing Peter to pay Paul. My personal feeling is that it's a crock of you know what. The 1000mbps/cheap price was a marketing gimmick which sucked us in and a lot of other folks, most likely, but they don't have the capacity to deliver it. I think they bump it up for installation and then steal it back to give to someone other newly signed up person.

Caveat: I don't know if what I said above is even possible to do, shuffling bandwidth around. Let me also say that I'm a bit sour on big business and paranoid, too, thinking they are always up to nefarious acts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

So I was wondering before I contact 3BB and ask them to come and check things out , if there’s any thing else I should personally check or can do .

Had similar experience, called them, guys came out same day, did some stuff on my laptop, asked wife to ask what he was doing and he said the guy who installed it previously didn't go into the system to do it manually, something on those lines and it has worked perfectly since then, if you don't include the blackouts ????

6 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

3BB and all the others only guarantee speed in Thailand.

You were quicker.

There is not the slightest chance that 3BB will/can do much about screenshot B.

Screenshot A is perfectly OK. Please don't moan about 922 vs. 1000.

Just did testmy.net to Singapore. Download gives 351. I have a 1000/500 package with 3BB.

I won't complain. No chance.

I monitor actual download/upload speeds with a tool in the taskbar (NetSpeedMonitor).

The highest speeds that I achieve are tool based youtube video downloads (1080p, FullHD) at about 400 MBit/s.

The actual speed needed to stream such videos is below 10 Mbit/s.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

Your first test A is using Multi thread 3BB test to Thailand, Your second/third test is using Testmy.net single thread test to Tokyo Japan.

3BB and all the others only guarantee speed in Thailand. Your speed to Japan looks about right.

Hi and Thanks .

So what you are saying is when I signed up for 3BB GIGA Fiber  Download speed – 1000 Mbps / Upload speed – 300 Mbps. I was really signing up for a service that will only give me accesses to the speeds advertised , but only for content based in Thailand ? 

Have I got that right .

• Like 2

You are not going to get the same speeds internationally whoever you use.  I have the 1000/500 package with 3BB and have no problems with anything I want to use,

Streaming live TV etc.

There is nothing wrong with your system, you should be able to use it for everything you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You were quicker.

Just did testmy.net to Singapore. Download gives 351. I have a 1000/500 package with 3BB.

I monitor actual download/upload speeds with a tool in the taskbar (NetSpeedMonitor).

The highest speeds that I achieve are tool based youtube video downloads (1080p, FullHD) at about 400 MBit/s.

Hi and thanks for the comment ????

I'm a bit confused , if I signed up for 3BB GIGA Fiber  Download speed – 1000 Mbps / Upload speed – 300 Mbps and no one in the 3BB office or the 3BB  installation guys mentioned about '' Only  '' getting the advertised speeds ''  if the content supplier is based in Thailand . Any where outside of Thailand then the advertised speeds do '' NOT '' apply . Have I got this right ?

8 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

Any where outside of Thailand then the advertised speeds do '' NOT '' apply . Have I got this right ?

Yes in a way. For a private user its close to impossible to get guaranteed rates overseas.

Professional services could get you guaranteed "leased line" connections to specific servers/locations. But not for xxx Baht per month.

And in the end the server you are connected will limit what you get.

The 400 Mbit/s that I mentioned is only possible with a major player that has/uses worldwide distributed sites (content delivery network). The youtube content might come from within Thailand, Singapore or HongKong and not from US westcoast. I haven't tried to find out exactly.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

Hi and Thanks .

So what you are saying is when I signed up for 3BB GIGA Fiber  Download speed – 1000 Mbps / Upload speed – 300 Mbps. I was really signing up for a service that will only give me accesses to the speeds advertised , but only for content based in Thailand ? 

Have I got that right .

The way I see it, once the connection leaves Thailand, it’s out of their control - they are using other ISP infrastructure and the companies that link via undersea cables.

When you connect to a server in Europe, the packets flow along different hops, using different ISPs.

What you can do is contact 3BB and make sure everything is optimized for you and that everything is running fine. 

There are several different levels of support in 3BB - a poster above says that some guys were using his laptop, why are tech support not carrying their own. They need a consistent reference to establish issues.

Maybe I’m lucky, but the guys who come to me if ever there is a problem are the same two guys who seem to have a good understanding, carry some of the correct kit and act in a professional manner.

Similarly, there is an ISP team that deal with routing and checking the performance, they can tell you everything from sitting at a desk in BKK. 

Just make the call - try to get the right people to help you, that’s not the guys on the bamboo ladders or the help desk who are going through a checklist. 

• Thanks 1

Are you using a VPN?  If you are the speed will be noticeably lower.  I also have the 3BB 1000 plan.  I have never been able to achieve even close to the 1000 download speed.  However for routine browsing anything above 100 MBPS is not bad at all.  Doubtful you would recognize much of a change from lets say 400MPBS to 700 MPBS.  I have noticed however at times mine gets very slow.  A call to 3BB they have me unplug and reboot the router and they push some magic button and my internet speeds improve.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Are you using a VPN?  If you are the speed will be noticeably lower.  I also have the 3BB 1000 plan.  I have never been able to achieve even close to the 1000 download speed.  However for routine browsing anything above 100 MBPS is not bad at all.  Doubtful you would recognize much of a change from lets say 400MPBS to 700 MPBS.  I have noticed however at times mine gets very slow.  A call to 3BB they have me unplug and reboot the router and they push some magic button and my internet speeds improve.  

No VPN ????

I have a gigabit up and down - I got a worse upload result than you. 

But 3BB are spot on, around 950Mbps.

I’m sure if I pinged my work server and my personal servers in Europe I would get  acceptable results. There have been occasions when I have experienced disruption to service or slow transfer speeds, and I have contacted the ISP team at 3BB who noticed a routing issue.  

Apart from the actual speeds, are you experiencing any issues? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, recom273 said:

I have a gigabit up and down - I got a worse upload result than you. 

But 3BB are spot on, around 950Mbps.

I’m sure if I pinged my work server and my personal servers in Europe I would get  acceptable results. There have been occasions when I have experienced disruption to service or slow transfer speeds, and I have contacted the ISP team at 3BB who noticed a routing issue.  

Apart from the actual speeds, are you experiencing any issues? 

Thanks, well my 3BB internet connection completely went off ( currently using a SIM card to connect ) this is the message I now get on my mobile phone using the 3BB app.

Waiting to see what happens next ????

3BBdown.jpg

22 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Hi and Thanks .

Have I got that right .

Only for servers of 3BB in your city. To any other servers it depends.

To servers in other countries it can of course be significantly lower, as you just noticed.

That's by the way the same with all providers world wide, is this the first time you got your own internet connection?

If you get the full speed on the 3BB test site, then there is nothing any technician at your home could do to increase the speed to other servers.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

I just checked my speed to an LA server from Thailand and the results are good, about 900Mbps. I use a ToT 1000/200Mbps fiber connection. At my neighbors crib, his 3BB speeds are similar, approximately 900Mbps to west coast servers from Thailand. I used a macbook / ethernet to test.

ToT-LA server.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:26 AM, bamboozled said:

I have that same package and it's slower than my previous True package which was rated only half as fast. Connection falls out more often, too. If you call, in my experience, they push some magic button and your speed will return for a bit. I don't know what strings they're pulling but I imagine it's something like robbing Peter to pay Paul. My personal feeling is that it's a crock of you know what. The 1000mbps/cheap price was a marketing gimmick which sucked us in and a lot of other folks, most likely, but they don't have the capacity to deliver it. I think they bump it up for installation and then steal it back to give to someone other newly signed up person.

Caveat: I don't know if what I said above is even possible to do, shuffling bandwidth around. Let me also say that I'm a bit sour on big business and paranoid, too, thinking they are always up to nefarious acts.

agree,  have exactly that problem, signed for 1,000 down and 300 up the day they installed it their test was around 962 or something close to that and 314 up.... has been reducing speed ever since, stable around 518-526 down and 183 to 197 up, I have been calling them on a weekly basis asking them to reset/flash my service, they do and for the next hour or so (sometimes up to a full day 555) the down speed gets closer to the 900's but soon after back to the slower one, my main problem is that I just (2 months ago) signed for 1 year deal, thus not many options besides tell them to f...off and loose the money, have some neighbors using AIS fiber and they are very happy and their speed is stable

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

agree,  have exactly that problem, signed for 1,000 down and 300 up the day they installed it their test was around 962 or something close to that and 314 up.... has been reducing speed ever since, stable around 518-526 down and 183 to 197 up, I have been calling them on a weekly basis asking them to reset/flash my service, they do and for the next hour or so (sometimes up to a full day 555) the down speed gets closer to the 900's but soon after back to the slower one, my main problem is that I just (2 months ago) signed for 1 year deal, thus not many options besides tell them to f...off and loose the money, have some neighbors using AIS fiber and they are very happy and their speed is stable

I feel validated! Thank you!

• Haha 1

I had a problem the same as this in the past.  3BB technicians came to my house and fixed it immediately.... 

My WiFi was turned on at the same time the computer was connected to the router by ethernet.  Once the WiFi was turned off, the normal, fast download and upload speeds returned.

I am not saying that is your problem, but if your WiFi is turned on, you could try turning it off, restarting the computer and the router and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 11:33 AM, KhunBENQ said:

You were quicker.

Tomorrow I’m having 3BB coming to install 1GBPS Fiber (500 Mb) the 700 baht package with WiFi 6 router (what is that router exactly?). Had 3BB previously at another address a couple of years ago which worked really well. I’ll have router connected by Ethernet cable to my new LG OLED Smart tv I think best? and wireless for other mobile devices. Is there anything I should check for or ask them (wife is here re language though not tech savvy) ? 
Much of the time I’m using vpn for uk tv but that’s via iPad for connection (screen mirroring or lightning to hdmi) to tv. I don’t think there’s a way of getting my Nord vpn installled nor the various BBC iPlayer/uk terrestrial tv directly onto my TV to work in conjunction Unless anyone knows differently?

Thanks for any tips..

39 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Tomorrow I’m having 3BB coming to install 1GBPS Fiber (500 Mb) the 700 baht package with WiFi 6 router (what is that router exactly?). Had 3BB previously at another address a couple of years ago which worked really well. I’ll have router connected by Ethernet cable to my new LG OLED Smart tv I think best? and wireless for other mobile devices. Is there anything I should check for or ask them (wife is here re language though not tech savvy) ? 
Much of the time I’m using vpn for uk tv but that’s via iPad for connection (screen mirroring or lightning to hdmi) to tv. I don’t think there’s a way of getting my Nord vpn installled nor the various BBC iPlayer/uk terrestrial tv directly onto my TV to work in conjunction Unless anyone knows differently?

Thanks for any tips..

If your smart TV has access to the full google playstore, then you should be able to install NordVPN and iPlayer on that TV. Some smart TVs have a customised, cut down version of the playstore with only a small subset of the apps in the full playstore. Not sure if your smart TV falls into this category. You also may be able to install NordVPN & iPlayer onto the TV from a USB stick. (Often referred to as sideloading)

Edited by Mutt Daeng

55 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Thanks for any tips..

19 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

If your smart TV has access to the full google playstore, then you should be able to install NordVPN and iPlayer on that TV. Some smart TVs have a customised, cut down version of the playstore with only a small subset of the apps in the full playstore. Not sure if your smart TV falls into this category. You also may be able to install NordVPN & iPlayer onto the TV from a USB stick. (Often referred to as sideloading)

Ignore my post above. Just realised LG OLED Smart TV uses WebOS not android, so no playstore.

• Like 1