Recommended G1 and G3 English book.

I've been asked to volunteer teaching grade 1 and grade 3 at a local school twice a week. Around 20 students per class.

They don't have books and I was told to send in worksheets or whatever to the office and they'll copy them. I'd rather book.

Are there any English course books that you'd recommend for G1 and G3? 

Are you a native English speaker?

If you are, please don't use any books. Kids of that age will simply copy what you do into the books. They will then close the books and forget all about it.

No real need for worksheets either. At the start keep their desks totally clear of anything. This way you will have their attention, at least some of it.

Choose a subject. Let's say "weather". Write some vocab on the board. Get the kids to speak the words. Draw pictures or get a student to draw pictures on the board. Even take the kids outside to see the weather and use the vocab they have learnt.

Let the kids create their own sheets on blank paper from what you have taught.

Make it fun, keep the kids active. 20 in a class should be a piece of cake.

• Like 1

A lot depends on how often you will be teaching and what are the schools expectations?   Also, what is the language level of the students?

If this is a long-term arrangement, then I would tend to go with a book.  I'd pick a series that progresses from level 1 on up.   The series such as "Let's Go!" give a good foundation.  "Let's Go!" is American English.   There is a British series which escapes my mind right now, but it is equally as good and goes through the same systematic approach to language and grammar.  

If, however, this is going to a hit or miss type of thing or very limited in scope, such as once a week, then you may want to structure it differently. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scott said:

A lot depends on how often you will be teaching and what are the schools expectations?   Also, what is the language level of the students?

If this is a long-term arrangement, then I would tend to go with a book.  I'd pick a series that progresses from level 1 on up.   The series such as "Let's Go!" give a good foundation.  "Let's Go!" is American English.   There is a British series which escapes my mind right now, but it is equally as good and goes through the same systematic approach to language and grammar.  

If, however, this is going to a hit or miss type of thing or very limited in scope, such as once a week, then you may want to structure it differently. 

I could be wrong but, reading between the lines, I believe this could be a small village type school. The OP talks about "local" and "volunteer". He also mentions only 20 kids in each class.

To me that would mean there will be an element of poverty within the school. Not fair to ask kids to fork out for books, especially expensive ones.

The OP seems to have a free rein on this. Grammar, in my opinion, would be best avoided at the first stage. I would go with speaking, speaking, speaking, fun, fun, speaking, speaking and, did I mention, speaking.

When, if, the kids have a good level of understanding what they are saying, they could then be taught the grammar side so they know why they are saying it. Just the same way as we all learn to speak our mother tongue.

I would love to have the opportunity to teach a group of 20 kids with the school director answering "up to you" when I ask what style he would like me to teach.

I totally agree that the emphasis should be on speaking.  The series books are good in that they usually don't try to explain grammar, they use it in speaking.  

These books will start with sentences that are applicable, usable and in a consist grammatical manner.   But the emphasis is on speaking. 

But, yes, it depends on a lot of factors.  That is why I asked about how long, how many times per week etc.