Typical Daily Life In Huahin

teacup

Hi I (thai) + hubby (farang), are thinking about living in HuaHin. Well actually we are running away from my family, sort of, but that is for another topic. Anyway just want to know a few things from you experts here,

My husband doesn’t drink/smoke and bar scene is not his style, we’re under 50

What are your typical daily activities?

The availability of the brain foods…..ex-many bookstores or similar activities?

How good is the highspeed internet access, and healthcare providers (of scale 1-5)?

Is that true, you’re getting the shadow for most part of the afternoon?

Is the beach always crowded (M-F), or pretty much emptied most of the times?

How many good local thai foods restaurant and night market does the city have?...we both love thai foods!

How is the beach and air quality?

How happy are you in HuaHin?

Or anything else you wish to tell/advice a nice young runway couple on.

Thanks in advance

Teacup :o

There is no typical daily life/activities. Everyone is different. Golfers will play golf virtually every day. Some will be involved in their kids & social activities. Some ladies do the yoga/coffee morning/lunch/visiting each other's houses & pools thing. Some shop. Some drink. Some go to the beach. Some (like me) have totally different activities to occupy their time. Some even work. :o

There are a few bookshops. I'm not sure what you mean by shadow. D'you mean the whole town is in shadow from the hills? No. The beach is crowded in high season & less so or pretty empty in low season. Yes, there are plenty of Thai restaurants that provide good food. The beach is OK. Very shallow & no good for diving or snorkelling, but nice for visiting. Air quality - I have no idea. I don't pay attention to those indices. It seems OK to me, not smoggy or anything.

Healthcare - not good & quite expensive. It is said it will get better when the new Hua Hin Hospital opens. Internet - sporadic. None of the services are very good, or that reliable IMO (wireless, ADSL, dial-up..)

Hope that helps :D

Teacup,

I'm a 48 year old American from California married to a 36 year old Thai from Prachuabkhirikhan. I moved there 6 years ago and then I was a bit bored. Now, the town has grown and many more farang are living there and there is more to do. We have a condo in Bangkok (and lived there for 2 years) but now prefer Hua Hin. It's a great place to raise a kid. I don't drink or smoke either and I find lots of healthy male companionship around. Lots of golfers, I golf about once every 2 weeks, my wife more. I have a little airplane on a grass airstrip nearby I fly regularly, but mostly I enjoy my 2 hour walks in nature in the mornings, eating on the beach, enjoying the clean air and nice people, swimming, and going to the mall with the wife and kid. We drive out into the surrounding areas regularly and have found many good friends in Hua Hin to get together with. What does your husband like to do? Hobbies? For healthcare, Bangkok is only 2.25 hours away and excellent. ADSL is available in most places but not all. We live 12km out of town on a golf course and i'm stuck with an aircard connection. The beaches are uncrowded M-F. Brainfoods are scarce and must be self-made! The sun rises on the ocean and I love the mornings. It's nice that the sun sets behind the mountains as you have a little easier time of the afternoon. There is plenty of sunshine in Thailand and living here you tend to want to avoid the worst of it. Why don't you runaway for a short vacation in Hua Hin and see how you like it. Please feel free to contact my wife and I and we'll take you out to dinner and an airplane ride if you want!

Some ladies do the yoga/coffee morning/lunch/visiting each other's houses & pools thing.

It will definitely take some miracle for us to be into the “yoga” thing, exp. Mr teacup!, and the idea of ““visiting each other’s houses” is definitely err….well….we don’t think so-coz too many bad memories. But we sure looove 3in1 nestle though :o

There are a few bookshops...... The beach is crowded in high season & less so or pretty empty in low season. Yes, there are plenty of Thai restaurants that provide good food. The beach is OK. Very shallow & no good for diving or snorkelling, but nice for visiting. Air quality - I have no idea. I don't pay attention to those indices. It seems OK to me, not smoggy or anything.

Well at least there are a few bookshops there, GOOD!– English books or just thais mostly?

And …

As long as you have a clean beach there, then it’s enough for us, we don’t normally like swimming in it anyway. Normally we just lay there on the beach all day while reading the favorite book of the day! Sure we can read the book at home, but the setting won’t be the same as being on the beach where you’re surrounded by palmtrees, sands, ocean, and people doing diff things nearby. That is what we called it “a paradise!”

Healthcare - not good & quite expensive. It is said it will get better when the new Hua Hin Hospital opens. We are relatively young and still healthy for now, knock knock. But just in case we do need one, well I could send my hubby to the good one, as for me…..there is still that 30bth health card, hehe

Internet - sporadic. None of the services are very good, or that reliable IMO (wireless, ADSL, dial-up..)

Bummer! I sure hope it will get better soon….. otherwise we definitely will be bored to death! COZ...it doesn’t sound very much fun so far :D

Thanks again for your informative post.

TC :D

Mdeland: You too!, thanks for the info. I will be back for the reply....got to go and cook dinner for mr teacup first! Be right back

Edited by teacup

I personally don't think there is much to do in HH, if you are young, not into golf, not really into the expat scene & not into drinking. I'm busy 24/7, but that's a different thing & I could literally be anywhere in Thailand.

There are largely English bookshops, as well as Thai ones. We have Asia Books & Bookazine & many second hand book stalls. Restaurants are good & varied. The beach is nice, but I only ever set foot on it to catch dogs that have been reported to me. You will always have internet, but it's much slower than you would expect & wireless signals can't always be relied on to be there.

Mdeland, c'mon... The beaches are uncrowded Mon-Fri? It makes no difference to holiday makers what day it is, during high season. Yes, BKK residents come down at weekends, so they are more crowded, then, but in high season, they're never uncrowded.

Teacup,

Now, the town has grown and many more farang are living there

Has the town change for the better or worse, in your opinion….and in what way?

and there is more to do.

such as?

Lots of golfers, I golf about once every 2 weeks, my wife more.

don’t like golfing, at least not anytime soon and sorry to say It’s a bit boring to us

mostly I enjoy my 2 hour walks in nature in the mornings,

ok me too

eating on the beach, enjoying the clean air and nice people

eating on the beach,- yes yes ooh yeees!

OK so the air is clean then over in HH. Anywhere is better than BKK and Chonburi

going to the mall with the wife and kid

I have heard you have only 1 mall, is this enough? Aren’t you getting soo tired of it after awhile?

And....We too, probably will have 1 or 2 little ones soon, I hope

We drive out into the surrounding areas regularly

That is what we hope to be able to explore ourselves, the countryside. I’m sure we will have soo much fun doing it!

What does your husband like to do? Hobbies?

Hmm.... Well he likes eating!, home improvement projects, electronic gadgets, oh yeah karaoke!

And he definitely love to swim, and at one time (many moons ago) he was one of the state champions! Therefore we will, for sure, get a house with a pool!

The beaches are uncrowded M-F.

We don’t mind a crowded beach.... we love sight, sound, and people watching

Brainfoods are scarce and must be self-made!

not to worry, my husband will be taking this opportunity to write a few technical books – structural engineering textbooks. As for me I probably will be drawing up and compiling residential homeplans based on US building code, and trading stocks online (this is why I must have a more reliable connection). However it would be quite a nice change of scene if we could, from time to time, be able to get away from “the office” and have fun at some other “unique” things the local area has to offer.

It's nice that the sun sets behind the mountains as you have a little easier time of the afternoon. There is plenty of sunshine in Thailand and living here you tend to want to avoid the worst of it.

Well this is one of the reasons why we want to be there.

Why don't you runaway for a short vacation in Hua Hin and see how you like it. Please feel free to contact my wife and I and we'll take you out to dinner and an airplane ride if you want!

-We would love too, I bet you know all the good places!.....we will insist on paying ½ though!

-about the airplane thing…..I don’t like height so I will pass on this one, but my husband is quite adventurous by nature and he might take on you offer, I will let him know. Thanks for your generous offer

Keep in touch, and take care

TC :o

Edited by teacup

Teacup,

You'll love Hua Hin as long as you can afford it. For the past three years it has been the fastest growing city in Thailand which means lots of foreign money coming in running up prices. There is a huge construction boom and that house with a pool will be easy to find in almost any price range but that boom also means Bangkok style traffic downtown at times and huge parking problems. As far as things to do besides golf, there is a tremendous variety of restaurants with every kind of food imaginable, and there are actually two malls, one normal "everything mall" and a mall for furniture and home supplies. As for activities, there are three national parks nearby, plenty of other small beach towns to visit, paintball, horseback riding, 4 wheeling (the 4 wheel motorcycle kind), go cart racing, shooting range, bowling, spas and exercise clubs, good night markets and a lot of nice people (as well as some not so nice ones) to meet and talk to. Its clean and very safe since it is the King's residence and there are a lot of festivals and seasonal activities. Come down in June for the Jazz festival. It is really great and you can get a flavor for the town when it is really crowded.

Hey All,

Very timely post fpr me!

My wife (from Tha Am near by Cha Am) and I (Californian) are coming back over. We will be moving to Thailand full time in about 4 years, and visiting in August.

My concerns are similar to Teacups, I'm 50, but very active, my wife 35. No kids at this point (not sure of the future), but I'm concerned of living in HH too. Her family is near, and great, but I am more of a water person (not bars). I hoped to make scuba and fishing, much of my retired life, but know HH is not the best for that.

I enjoy getting out, the walks, etc, but have to weigh the distance to good diving against my wife's property she owns.

I'll continue to listen!

Thanks

HHfarang

Thanks for the info

I wish I could be down there in June for the festival, but unfortunately I am just back in US again at the moment. We will definitely be checking into Huahin once we’re back there again around Jan.

Any other helpful additional information is welcome and will be checking back from time to time, same as ‘migrant’.

:o

Teacup,

and there is more to do.

such as?

don’t like golfing, at least not anytime soon and sorry to say It’s a bit boring to us

ok me too

OK so the air is clean then over in HH. Anywhere is better than BKK and Chonburi

I have heard you have only 1 mall, is this enough? Aren’t you getting soo tired of it after awhile?

That is what we hope to be able to explore ourselves, the countryside. I’m sure we will have soo much fun doing it!

Hmm.... Well he likes eating!, home improvement projects, electronic gadgets, oh yeah karaoke!

And he definitely love to swim, and at one time (many moons ago) he was one of the state champions! Therefore we will, for sure, get a house with a pool!

not to worry, my husband will be taking this opportunity to write a few technical books – structural engineering textbooks. As for me I probably will be drawing up and compiling residential homeplans based on US building code, and trading stocks online (this is why I must have a more reliable connection). However it would be quite a nice change of scene if we could, from time to time, be able to get away from “the office” and have fun at some other “unique” things the local area has to offer.

It's nice that the sun sets behind the mountains as you have a little easier time of the afternoon. There is plenty of sunshine in Thailand and living here you tend to want to avoid the worst of it.

Why don't you runaway for a short vacation in Hua Hin and see how you like it. Please feel free to contact my wife and I and we'll take you out to dinner and an airplane ride if you want!

-We would love too, I bet you know all the good places!.....we will insist on paying ½ though!

-about the airplane thing…..I don’t like height so I will pass on this one, but my husband is quite adventurous by nature and he might take on you offer, I will let him know. Thanks for your generous offer

I trade stocks online as a fulltime manager of my own portfolio and have no problem with the internet. When it goes down (so do I...for a nap). When I wake up so does the internet. This is called living close to nature and accepting life at a slower and happier pace. It really isn't a major problem. A second shoping plaza is about to commence construction. The new hospital (state of the art) is nearly ready to open...Bookazine offers the fullest range of foreign newspapers and magazines, lots of good restaurants....nice beach in Khaotakiab.....what's not to like about Hua Hin...says this resident of 15 years.

• 4 weeks later...
Teacup,

and there is more to do.

such as?

ok me too

I trade stocks online as a fulltime manager of my own portfolio and have no problem with the internet. When it goes down (so do I...for a nap). When I wake up so does the internet. This is called living close to nature and accepting life at a slower and happier pace. It really isn't a major problem. A second shoping plaza is about to commence construction. The new hospital (state of the art) is nearly ready to open...Bookazine offers the fullest range of foreign newspapers and magazines, lots of good restaurants....nice beach in Khaotakiab.....what's not to like about Hua Hin...says this resident of 15 years.

hi rampage any idea where abouts that this new shopping plaze you mention will be constructed?