Wireless Adsl Link

Artisan

I'm sure that this has been covered previously in this Forum but I can't locate the topic. So, apologies from me for raising it again. :o

I have a desk top computer with a 4-port ADSL router........not wireless. My daughter has her own desk top computer in her bedroom and I would like her to be able to access the Internet using a wireless connection to my router (my router has 3 ports free). I really need help on this please.

Can this be done? If so, what do I need to buy and how do I set up the link? Her computer has an internal ethernet card already installed.

Thanks so much for your help.

Easy!

On your side you'll have to connect a wifi accesspoint to one of the three free ports in your router.

Example here.

On your daughter's side the easy way would be to install a USB wifi adapter.

Example here.

Thanks Monty.....that was a rapid response and I'm obliged to you. I'm leaving for TukCom (Pattaya) now.

Just one more query that I've just thought about Monty........will I have to configure this new hardware, and my existing router, to my daughter's computer?

On your daughter's computer you'll just need to install the driver software included with the USB network adapter, BEFORE you first plug in the device!

That's about it.

For the accesspoint, best is to follow the QUICK INSTALL guide included. Most often it'll work OK, if not, you'll have to revert to Thai Visa's nerds again :o

Basically the only things you'll have to make sure is that the Accesspoint is in the same network range as your router, and you'll have to disable the DHCP server built into the accesspoint, since that duty will be handled by your router...

I know that most D-link AP's have a default IP address of 192.168.0.50, but most routers are in the 192.168.1.XXX range (notice the 1 instead of the zero).

Would be cheaper to run an ethernet cable to your child's room if that's possible.

Thank you Simmo. I'd thought of that option and considered using it as a temporary measure. It would have to be temporary as the ethernet cable would have to pass under three doors and across the floors of three rooms..........but, if my brain can't handle how to install the wireless access point, as suggested by Monty, then I might do that for a while.

Monty......please stand by!!! I might need more help from you. :o:D

On your daughter's computer you'll just need to install the driver software included with the USB network adapter, BEFORE you first plug in the device!

That's about it.

For the accesspoint, best is to follow the QUICK INSTALL guide included. Most often it'll work OK, if not, you'll have to revert to Thai Visa's nerds again :o

Basically the only things you'll have to make sure is that the Accesspoint is in the same network range as your router, and you'll have to disable the DHCP server built into the accesspoint, since that duty will be handled by your router...

I know that most D-link AP's have a default IP address of 192.168.0.50, but most routers are in the 192.168.1.XXX range (notice the 1 instead of the zero).

Hi Monty......I bought the two items that you suggested today at Tukcom (Pattaya).

I installed the driver software for the USB adapter on my daughter's computer, restarted the computer and attached the adapter to a USB port. Great, recognised immediately.

I plugged an ethernet cable between a port on the wireless access point and a free port on my existing router and bingo....there was an instant wireless connection of (quote) "excellent strength" displayed on my daughter's computer.

But that's as far as I can go! She can't connect to the Internet. How do I make sure that the access point is in the same network range as my own router and how do I disable the DHCP server built into the access point? What's the significance of the two IP addresses that you quoted and how do I use them? (D-link AP's default IP address of 192.168.0.50, routers are in the 192.168.1.XXX range)

Do I have to install the access point driver software on my daughter's computer even though it's working from a router that's configured to my own computer.?

I'm sorry to be a nuisance Monty..... but thank you anyway.

<deleted>.................!!!! :o

Monty, I bought a D-Link Wireless Router (DI-524) instead of the D-Link Wireless Access Point that you suggested. They look very similar to my old eyes!!

I'll try and exchange it tomorrow at TukCom but, if they won't oblige, what are my options? Can I go ahead with my plan using this D-Link Router or would it be better to ditch my cable router and start afresh with this new wireless one? The picture on the back of the box says I need to have a Cable/DSL modem between the wireless router and the Internet!

I hope that my plan hasn't gone pear-shaped!

Thanks again Monty.

Ouch Artisan,

Should be perfectly usable, only a bit more difficult to get it going...

You basically have two devices trying to do the same now!

Could you find out which revision your newly acquired toy is? Then I can download the correct manual and take a quick peek on how to get you going...

On the bottom of the device is a sticker, on the bottom left side it should say H/W Ver X1, where the X can be A, B, C or D.

I need to know which one it is...

Some info I'll need later on as well:

on your PC go to start, run, type cmd and in the new command window type ipconfig

I would like to know the IP address of your ethernet adapter, and the default gateway.

Some info I'll need later on as well:

on your PC go to start, run, type cmd and in the new command window type ipconfig

I would like to know the IP address of your ethernet adapter, and the default gateway.

Good Morning Monty,

The answer to your query about the IP address of my ethernet adapter is:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ouch Artisan,

Should be perfectly usable, only a bit more difficult to get it going...

You basically have two devices trying to do the same now!

Could you find out which revision your newly acquired toy is? Then I can download the correct manual and take a quick peek on how to get you going...

On the bottom of the device is a sticker, on the bottom left side it should say H/W Ver X1, where the X can be A, B, C or D.

I need to know which one it is...

Monty,

The model is DI-524 and the label on the bottom reads:

H/W Ver: B4

F/W Ver: 2.03

Many thanks to you.

We'll take it step by step...

First: power up your new router, then take the cable going from your PC to your current router and plug it into one of the four LAN ports of your the DI-524...

Do the ipconfig thingy again, and normally your IP should have changed to 192.168.0.100 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1

If not, reboot PC.

Second. Open up Internet explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address box. This should bring up a log in screen of the router. Username is admin, the password is empty, just hit OK.

Third. Click on the "run wizard" button

Follow the steps.

* Change password (this will be the one needed when logging into the router next time. Username will remain admin!

* Choose your time zone

* Select your internet connection. Mark Static IP address.

* In the set static IP address box use following parameters:

WAN IP address: 192.168.1.1

Wan Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Wan gateway address: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS address: 192.168.1.1

Secondary DNS address: 192.168.1.1

*in the Set 802.11g box change the default ssid to something you like (e.g. Artisan), leave the channel on 6

*in the next box, set the protection to disabled.

*in the next box click restart...

Then hook up the new DI-524 to your current modem/router. You have to use the WAN port on the DI-524 for this!

Both your PC (now connected to the new DI-524) and your daughter's PC should have internet access.

We'll take it step by step...

First: power up your new router, then take the cable going from your PC to your current router and plug it into one of the four LAN ports of your the DI-524...Did that OK

Do the ipconfig thingy again, and normally your IP should have changed to 192.168.0.100 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1 Yes the IP address changed

If not, reboot PC.

Second. Open up Internet explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address box. This should bring up a log in screen of the router. Username is admin, the password is empty, just hit OK. Yes, did that and OK

Third. Click on the "run wizard" button. Yes, did that and "Run Wizard" started

Follow the steps.

* Change password (this will be the one needed when logging into the router next time. Username will remain admin! Yes, did that but not ok

Thanks Monty. Your detailed procedure was flawless but I fell down shortly after I started it. I changed the password, and reconfirmed the password, to a very simple one but I got no further. A window popped up and asked me to log on again with the username and my new password but I was deemed "unauthorised" when I entered my new password.

Now I'm completely lost!!! :o What can I do to go back to the start?

The DI-524 should have a a factory reset process outlined in the manual. That will get you back to square one so you can start again.

Regards

PS Won't be offended if you await Monty's blessing on this :o

PPS Downloaded manual and the reset is on the rear of the box Page 60 of the manual

/edit added PPS //

Edited by A_Traveller

Good advice traveller, with pretty much every D-link device you can get back to factory settings by doing the reset!

Can't find a reason why it's not working though, do you give your new password when logging in? You still have to use admin as username...

Monty and A. Traveller....................thank you, thank you, thank you.

I pressed the reset button and started again. Monty's procedure worked great and my daughter's computer now connects (with excellent signal strength) to the TOT Router/D-Link Wireless Router combination three rooms away.

More configuration still to do, I think. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you both again.

One thing:

You've got the same address for WAN IP address, and default gateway. I don't have D-Link myself, but wouldn't the first one be the IP address of the Access point (from the router's viewpoint), while the second is the IP address of the router.

i.e. I think the WAN IP address should be something like 192.168.1.100 (assuming that's outside the DHCP range on the router).

She has to set up the IP range that the DHCP may use for the LAN on the ADSL router, then put the other router she is using as a wireless access point on a fixed IP outside of that range.

Should be on the "home" tab then DHCP tab or at least it is on my D-Link router.

Also makes things easier if your going to do P2P and setting up firewalls exceptions.(fixed IP's)

In the wireless router she should only allow the MAC address of her daughters PC to connect to the network. (should be printed on the wireless card)

This on the wireless Tab then Advanced Tab then Filters tab.

Otherwise the network could be wide open !

Or use some of the other Authentication options to safeguard the network.

I would also set up the DHCP of the wireless network to be in a other part of the same range of IP that the ADSL router DHCP uses , but not sure if thats really needed with NAT in the wireless access point but safer IMHO , but ask maybe Monty knows this.

If you put the computers in a other range they will not see each other due to the network masking.

Something like this ADSL router (Fixed IP 192.168.1 to 192.168.1.19 just leave this out of the DHCP range)

DHCP range 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.1.99

and the wireless router DHCP range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254

Just make sure they not overlap.

then set your IP for the adsl router to 192.168.1.1 and the accesspoint to 192.168.1.2

ps I have D Link equipment myself so maybe I can help with questions :o

Edited by brianinbangkok