Tha Chat Chai checkpoint update?

smerty

Anyone know the current requirements for expats crossing the bridge to Phang-Nga, is testing still required when coming back?  What if you have family or property near Phuket and need to cross often?  Test every time?

I came 2 days ago from a neighboring province via minivan and was surprised that there was no covid check, not even a temperature check or questions about my travel history.  I haven't had the vaccine yet and never had a covid test done.

• Sad 1

I cross into Phuket one or two times a day at the moment. If you are a frequent traveller on legitimate business, you can get a letter at the checkpoint which is good for about a month or so which just outlines your home address, where you travel to, why and how regularly. This letter I just show at the checkpoint and then when they say I need a new one I just stop, do the application on the app, then within a few minutes the next letter is ready. I travel between house in Phuket and daughters school in Khokloi,  Phang Nga. 

We have been told this letter is good only until 1 July. However the school at the weekend asked all our details to enable them to produce apply for something which will allow us to cross everyday after 1 July. 

1 hour ago, arick said:

So AstraZeneca you need your two jab.  But sinovac just 1....a joke 

You have it backwards.  You only need to have had one (1) AstraZeneca jab at least 14 days before entering Phuket, or two (2) Sinovac jabs at least 14 days before entering Phuket.

AstraZeneca is more effective after one dose than is Sinovac after one dose.  There is a vaccine shortage in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

You have it backwards.  You only need to have had one (1) AstraZeneca jab at least 14 days before entering Phuket, or two (2) Sinovac jabs at least 14 days before entering Phuket.

AstraZeneca is more effective after one dose than is Sinovac after one dose.  There is a vaccine shortage in Thailand.

Thanks for that.  Many media types don't clarify this. Sure you can leave Phuket anytime domestic travel. But it's the coming back is the issue. I agree Sinovac 14 days, but I remember the lady saying in post vax briefing something about 20 days for AZ before travel. It's all a mess.

6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Thanks for that.  Many media types don't clarify this. Sure you can leave Phuket anytime domestic travel. But it's the coming back is the issue. I agree Sinovac 14 days, but I remember the lady saying in post vax briefing something about 20 days for AZ before travel. It's all a mess.

Actually, I too remember hearing 20 days for AZ before travel from the lady in the recovery room after the jab.  14 days is the standard period after which a vaccine is expected to reach its advertised effectiveness, but 20 is probably better and possibly your body continues to develop immunity even after that.  20 days may be a specific Thai requirement for Phuket re-entry.  I'm not sure.

As said before, I actually don't have any plans to travel outside Phuket before my second AZ jab in 12 weeks (which may be rescheduled for earlier if the supply allows according to some reports).  I just was curious to see what the process was like and wanted to see what the certificate of vaccination looked like.

If I were traveling outside Phuket before my second jab of AZ I would definitely want to get the Vaccination Certificate (showing the one dose received) because the vaccination receipt that you get while perfectly suitable to allow you to get a second jab would not work for getting you back into Phuket in my estimation because they don't put your full name on the receipt (just your first name which is used to call you to pick up your receipt in the waiting room after you receive your jab).  It might work or it might not but I wouldn't want to risk it.  On the other hand, I would feel confident with the Vaccination Certificate getting back into Phuket (at least 20 days after the jab) without needing to take a covid test.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What I miss here:

is it still possible to get the rapid antigen test at or near the checkpoint?

Don't know for sure.  However, I have a memory of reading that the rapid antigen tests you could get at the checkpoint were discontinue, but can't find the announcement to that effect.  If I remember correctly, earlier in the year they were 300 baht for everyone, then for Thais it was free and for foreigners it was 500, then it was no longer free for Thais, and then I think they just stopped doing the tests at the checkpoint entirely.

You can get a rapid antigen test at Takuapa Hospital in Phang Nga for 620 baht.

Or if you have had one (1) jab of AstraZeneca at least 20 days before, you can re-enter Phuket without needing to take a test if you have a National Vaccine Certificate (which you can get from the hospital that staffed the vaccination center where you received your jab).

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, skatewash said:

Don't know for sure.  However, I have a memory of reading that the rapid antigen tests you could get at the checkpoint were discontinue, but can't find the announcement to that effect.  If I remember correctly, earlier in the year they were 300 baht for everyone, then for Thais it was free and for foreigners it was 500, then it was no longer free for Thais, and then I think they just stopped doing the tests at the checkpoint entirely.

You can get a rapid antigen test at Takuapa Hospital in Phang Nga for 620 baht.

Or if you have had one (1) jab of AstraZeneca at least 20 days before, you can re-enter Phuket without needing to take a test if you have a National Vaccine Certificate (which you can get from the hospital that staffed the vaccination center where you received your jab).

They weren't  offering a national certificate for my first jab just an appointment slip. It all on the national data base  under  your ID

number or passport. 

Edited by arick

I guess I will just go to koh lak and Trang in October. Your never going to have your whole Thai party vaccined when driving into phuket. Nothing there now and I can see anything changing in three months or even  6

The checkpoint seem to be fairly strict checking most/every incoming vehicle but i'm not surprised with the report of minivans coming in without any checks of every passenger as they ply regular routes & cannot afford to wait in line for hours I guess...
Apart from listed options to qualify for entry there's the unlisted option of having 'a valid reason' to enter (regularly) such as can be tracked/reg. via gophuget.com?
I reg. for my last weekend trip to Krabi & Nakorn & that's all I had upon returning but before I got to show that my co passenger showed/said she was fully vaccinated & said 'Yes' when being asked if I was too ???? and in we drove quickly! That was around midnight with a very low traffic volume while peak hours looks like hours being main hurdle more than the actual req. whatever they may actually be enforced as !!
So when will they finally abolish the checking such as was last seen back in Feb?
But actually the thing will change after July 1 is not so much the entry but the EXIT - well after July 14th as the first batch of tourist will be eligible to be  'released' to the real Thailand with all sorts of docs to be proven so how do residents again prove their case to exit (now exit is unchecked but will then become the strictest check & longest que I guess)?