Tourist Arrivals Rise, Especially From Europe

george

Tourist arrivals rise, especially from Europe

BANGKOK: -- The number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand has risen by four per cent during the first four months this year, with most new arrivals coming from Europe, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Phornsiri Manoharn said Thursday.

About four million foreign tourists visited Thailand between January and April, marking a 4 per cent increase from the corresponding period last year, while a total of 14.8 million international visitors are expected to come throughout this year, bringing in combined revenues of up to Bt547 million, the TAT governor said.

Though increasing numbers of tourists had come from Europe, the number of arrivals from China, Hong Kong and Singapore had dropped, Mrs. Phornsiri said.

However, TAT plans to maintain Thailand as a major attraction for foreign tourists, especially to those from the Middle East, Africa and eastern Europe, during the low or rainy season, which normally lasts for a four-month period, she said.

For that reason, certain provinces which had before now been lesser known to overseas visitors will be promoted as new destinations, such as Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Krabi and Nakhon Si Thammarat, she added.

--TNA 2007-05-24

one for you , one for me

two for you , one , two for me

three for you , one ,two , three for me ..........................................

Doesn't seem to be representative of Pattaya over the past few weeks :D   So many rooms available at bargain prices; no need to make an appointment for a hair cut or manicure; quick service in uncrowded restaurants (well empty :o ) etc. etc.

same old question ,

how do they count them ?????

Same way they count days in your passport!! :bah:

& then approximate to a politically acceptable figure...

Soundman.

JR Texas: Broken record, but I do not believe the official figures are accurate. Question: Is it possible that a govt. that is willing to manipulate TV stations and newspapers and radio stations would have any problem manipulating tourism statistics? :o

I think they estimate the figure by taking a weekly sample of the arrivals (using arrival TA forms) and then adjusting that figure to estimate monthly arrivals. I doubt that they actually count each and every arrival form during a monthly period or six month period.

Then, after they obtain the original crude estimate, a Thai guy with big thick glasses :D adjusts the figures upward so that he and his boss can retain their jobs by making things look better than they actually are. :D

The produced estimate then goes to the guy at the top of the food chain who takes a look and says "these figures look a bit low to me." :D

After that, the same Thai guy with the big thick glasses :bah: discovers that he made a mistake, and adjusts the figures upward...........then same process repeats itself until agreement is reached on what the official statistics on tourism are. :D

What I found interesting about the post, if true, is that tourists from China are down........said same thing earlier about tourists from Japan. The Thai Govt. is spending large amounts of baht trying to get all 1.3 billion Chinese to visit Thailand..........doing the same with Russians but they are, apparently, still coming.

I think they estimate the figure by taking a weekly sample of the arrivals (using arrival TA forms) and then adjusting that figure to estimate monthly arrivals. I doubt that they actually count each and every arrival form during a monthly period or six month period.

I have seen girls entering all the data from the TM cards on to the Immigration computer.

So I have no reason to doubt that they do know the real numbers.

Then, after they obtain the original crude estimate, a Thai guy with big thick glasses :D adjusts the figures upward so that he and his boss can retain their jobs by making things look better than they actually are. :D

The produced estimate then goes to the guy at the top of the food chain who takes a look and says "these figures look a bit low to me." :D

After that, the same Thai guy with the big thick glasses :bah: discovers that he made a mistake, and adjusts the figures upward...........then same process repeats itself until agreement is reached on what the official statistics on tourism are. :D

However this may also be true........ :o

I have seen girls entering all the data from the TM cards on to the Immigration computer.

I don't doubt for a second that the TAT knows the real numbers. I just have real reservations about believing that the real numbers & the published ones are the same.....

Soundman.

Please bear in mind that it has been stated in the OP that these statistics are for the first four months of the year ie April through January. This is the traditional high season so it makes sense the numbers are up. To compare high season tourist arrivals to the present time is pointless as it is the low season. Numbers will always be down this time of year.

I would be more interested in low season statistics. ie, are the numbers down for this low season or not. Do they even post statistics for the off-season of May-beginning of August?

Please bear in mind that it has been stated in the OP that these statistics are for the first four months of the year ie April through January. This is the traditional high season so it makes sense the numbers are up. To compare high season tourist arrivals to the present time is pointless as it is the low season. Numbers will always be down this time of year.

I would be more interested in low season statistics. ie, are the numbers down for this low season or not. Do they even post statistics for the off-season of May-beginning of August?

Point is whatever statistics are posted or not - many people who have been here for many years and have traveled back and forth during all times of the year - are reporting low numbers :o

Can't believe every thing you read, especialy when it contradics the facts on the ground. Everyone I talk to says high season was low this year and low season is a disaster. aloha Rick

Can't believe every thing you read, especialy when it contradics the facts on the ground. Everyone I talk to says high season was low this year and low season is a disaster. aloha Rick

By the same token, I wouldn't believe everything you hear, especially pub talk or only small segments of a larger market where trends can change sharply both ways in different sectors of the same market.

Soundman.

yep , sounds kosher ,

until you wonder what the back log is ?????????

I'm to lazy to do the maths but rest assured that the numbers are mind boggling .

<br />I flew in yesterday on Thai Air...plane was 60% empty. First time I have ever seen that!<br />

AFAIC these are near legendary reports of flights being half full etc.

If this were usual then why are flight prices from faranglands not significantly dropping to try and muster greater demand? I don't doubt the occasional, if not, most unusual report of a plane being quiet. But if flights were commonly half (or less) full leaving Europe, there'd surely be signs of prices dropping to try and whip up more interest.

Nonetheless, I have come to Thailand many, many times and never have I been on a flight that was less than 90% full. How lovely it would be to come on a flight that was even 60% full - let alone 50% or 30%!! Ah well... I intend to come again in about 3 weeks and I expect that, despite traveling mid week (as usual), the flight will be just as busy as ever. Farangs just can't get enough of Thailand and all that it stands for.

Re the peak season: a few months ago, I remarked to my partner that there certainly seemed to be many more farangs than usual in Bangkok. One could hardly turn to look over one's shoulder anywhere in central Bangkok without some farang to be seen. I now find it quite extraordinary that the figures are up only 4% - because it felt like there were about 15% more farangs than usual around...

If we were to believe JRTexas' personal trustworthy (and sorry) stats, we would have to believe that Thailand's been down since 1999 too. :o

JR Texas to ThaiGoon: In case you are interested, the source of the statistic on the poverty threshold is as follows: Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board, United Nations Country Team in Thailand, Thailand Millennium Development Goals Report 2004, p.12.

If we were to believe JRTexas' personal trustworthy (and sorry) stats, we would have to believe that Thailand's been down since 1999 too. :o

JR Texas to ThaiGoon: In case you are interested, the source of the statistic on the poverty threshold is as follows: Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board, United Nations Country Team in Thailand, Thailand Millennium Development Goals Report 2004, p.12.

And?

I have never really been on a flight not 90+ % full from Europe in well over a decade except on KLM during SARS.

Flights to Thailand to and from Singapore are always full at weekends with weekenders and during the week we have to book staff well ahead on the peak flights early morning in evening after EOB.

Just looking around Suk, Siam Paragon and MBK last week I did notice less tourists but it is low season. The flights were packed to and from Sing though.

I would like to come more to pattaya. I have 2 small issues.

1) getting time of work

2) getting a direct flight..at easter i had to fly over bahrain and oman to get to pattaya. Prices on direct flights where very high.

3) hiding my flights to thailand from other people. people might find it strange to go 2 or 3 x per year from europe.. i cant let the office know.

4) Pattaya has changed a bit. Before the girls used to not let go of you. Now, they seem to disappear first thing in the morning, and one even turned me down for another customer. (i am 30, not bad looking and pay more well, i am not cheap charlie).