Recommendation for an MPPT charge controller?

I have a requirement for an MPPT charge controller, yup loads on Lazada.

I have requirements that thin things down rather:-

• 48V battery system
  • Fanless
  • Preferably IP65 (or at least closed enough to keep the wildlife out)
  • 60A (3kWP) although there's no reason a number of smaller units can't be used
  • Local seller preferred but no massive rush so overseas shipment ok.

Anyone come across something that matches these requirements?

Price is of course important but I'm prepared to pay for quality.

Been using this for a few years now SRNE ML4860. I have two in parallel and they work well together although #1 seems to think it's finished slightly before #2 but that's not a problem. They are insect proof and fanless. PM me if you want factory contact details. It will probably save you a few bob.

User Manual of SR-ML4860.pdf

• Like 1

Forgot to mention. SRNE have a newer version out which is more or less the same but without setup display and buttons. Everything is done wirelessly including monitoring which you may like. Personally I prefer the hands on buttons and display.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2021 at 9:41 AM, Muhendis said:

Been using this for a few years now SRNE ML4860. I have two in parallel and they work well together although #1 seems to think it's finished slightly before #2 but that's not a problem. They are insect proof and fanless. PM me if you want factory contact details. It will probably save you a few bob.

User Manual of SR-ML4860.pdf 1.4 MB · 5 downloads

Why size and type of battery are you using?

Also, what size and model of DC/AC  transformer are you using?

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why size and type of battery are you using?

Also, what size and model of DC/AC  transformer are you using?

Battery bank is 750 Ah 48v AGM hybrid.

When you say transformer maybe you mean inverter. It is a modified 8kw low frequency inverter.

11 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Battery bank is 750 Ah 48v AGM hybrid.

When you say transformer maybe you mean inverter. It is a modified 8kw low frequency inverter.

Yes, inverter. Sorry. 

Does the inverter also contain a BMS, to protect the batteries from being fully discharged?

15 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yes, inverter. Sorry. 

Does the inverter also contain a BMS, to protect the batteries from being fully discharged?

AGM is Lead acid chemistry. There is a part of the inverter circuit which will detect if the battery voltage is too low and will switch off the inverter until the battery voltage returns to a more acceptable level. This is a form of BMS. Lead acid chemistry is a lot more robust than Lithium and so is quite tolerant of the sort of abuse that would otherwise kill a lithium battery. That's a good plus but on the other hand the cycle life of the lead acid battery is a lot less. Lithium batteries are now in a more competitive position pricewise so my next bunch of batteries will be LiFePO4's.

Just now, Muhendis said:

AGM is Lead acid chemistry. There is a part of the inverter circuit which will detect if the battery voltage is too low and will switch off the inverter until the battery voltage returns to a more acceptable level. This is a form of BMS. Lead acid chemistry is a lot more robust than Lithium and so is quite tolerant of the sort of abuse that would otherwise kill a lithium battery. That's a good plus but on the other hand the cycle life of the lead acid battery is a lot less. Lithium batteries are now in a more competitive position pricewise so my next bunch of batteries will be LiFePO4's.

I am considering the below for my starter system.

Screenshot_20210808-130230_AliExpress.jpg

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am considering the below for my starter system.

Screenshot_20210808-130230_AliExpress.jpg

Looks good especially the bit about the stainless steel container. Useful in the event of combustion as seems to happen in e-cars. Don't forget to do your power consumption sums and add a fair few percent for system expansion. If that writing on the side of the battery is true then the battery should keep going for over 10 years.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Looks good especially the bit about the stainless steel container. Useful in the event of combustion as seems to happen in e-cars. Don't forget to do your power consumption sums and add a fair few percent for system expansion. If that writing on the side of the battery is true then the battery should keep going for over 10 years.

Assuming $500 for that battery and an average of 1.5 kWh per cycle, the cost of the battery is nearly 3 baht/kWh, that is if the 4,000 cycle hold true.

A hybrid system, sure ain't cheap, but it is the only option for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Assuming $500 for that battery and an average of 1.5 kWh per cycle, the cost of the battery is nearly 3 baht/kWh, that is if the 4,000 cycle hold true.

A hybrid system, sure ain't cheap, but it is the only option for me.

And don't forget to factor in electricity price inflation, the feel good factor of helping to save the planet and the security of supply.