Jump to content

Man faces year in jail after huge cannabis farm found in Bangkok


webfact

Recommended Posts

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

Certain regulations in Thailand about marijuana products may have been eased in recent years but Daily News reported on a case that is a timely reminder that recreational use and certainly the growing of the drug for that purpose remains punishable by heavy fines or years in prison.

 

Pol Lt-Gen Jiraphat Phoomjit and an arrest team armed with a search warrant from the Minburi court went to a five story business premises in Wacharaphon Road in Bang Khen.

 

There they arrested the owner Jirawit, 31. 

 

The first floor was a business selling curtains and snacks on a stick and coffee. The second floor was residential.

 

But on the third floor were 200 plants about 5 to 7 inches high in pots in a very cool air room. Drug taking and extraction equipment was found. 

 

On the third floor was another organic grow section with 19 mature plants with flowers about one meter in height each. 

 

The fifth floor was just storage. 

 

Police said that Jirawit had admitted to growing ganja for two years. He would get "Cherry" seeds from the US via Facebook for 500 baht and had invested 50,000 baht in equipment.

 

His electricity bill was 18,000 baht a month.

 

Via the post he would sell 5 cc of extract for 500 baht, small plants for 200-300 baht and fully grown plants for 15,000 baht. 

 

He faces five years in jail and/or 500,000 baht in fines. 

 

If it can be proven that a suspect has 10 kilos or more of marijuana then the penalty is more severe - 1-15 years jail and fines from 1 - 1.5 million baht. 

 

Marijuana is still a class 5 restricted narcotic in Thailand. 

 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-30
Link to post
Share on other sites

his high electricity bills gave him up. He should go for solar panels or generator.

although I don't understand why small plants had to be kept in a cold room or why he needed so much light for 20 large plants (proper energy saving lights would be just max a 1k/month)

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, internationalism said:

his high electricity bills gave him up. He should go for solar panels or generator.

although I don't understand why small plants had to be kept in a cold room or why he needed so much light for 20 large plants (proper energy saving lights would be just max a 1k/month)

 

wouldn't the 150 or so solar panels on the roof and the industrial generator chugging away all night been a bit of a giveaway though?!

 

those lights get thirsty 😂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, internationalism said:

his high electricity bills gave him up. He should go for solar panels or generator.

although I don't understand why small plants had to be kept in a cold room or why he needed so much light for 20 large plants (proper energy saving lights would be just max a 1k/month)

Would point out plants need high power lights to grow ...... looks like HLG-240 lamps in the photo, 200watts x 16 hours = 3 units a day of electricity each.

Available on Lazada and Shopee for around 5,000bht each.

 

No need for air-con, cannabis grows fine at room temperature .... so a friend tells me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, internationalism said:

his high electricity bills gave him up. He should go for solar panels or generator.

 

It's normally a tip-off. An 18k electricity bill would not even raise a yellow flag. There are people mining crypto with tens of thousands of baht bills per month out there. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a biggy, on every one they catch there are a dozen others that chugging along with full even bigger productions...

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No need for air-con, cannabis grows fine at room temperature .... so a friend tells me.

I've no idea, and I've no friends who know either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

two third floors in this story.

 

the author must have been sampling the goods. 

The third floor had a very cool air room containing seedlings on the third floor was a section that contained mature plants.The forth floor wasn't mentioned perhaps all the growing was done on the third floor.Maybe you've been making some business there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The third floor had a very cool air room containing seedlings on the third floor was a section that contained mature plants.The forth floor wasn't mentioned perhaps all the growing was done on the third floor.Maybe you've been making some business there?

then say "also on the third floor..."

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He can be lucky not to set his house on fire. The electrical installation looks not suitable for powering high wattage lamps...

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

then say "also on the third floor..."

 

 

They also could have said as well or get a decent proof reader who isn't sampling the product seen growing in the article.What I want to know is how he got the seeds as that's definitely not Thai weed.Looks like the guy in the bath robe is onto the good stuff,that's a serious nod he's on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not a biggy, on every one they catch there are a dozen others that chugging along with full even bigger productions...

 

X-actly, Semper High!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anutin at a cannabis farm with his "Friends."  <฿฿฿฿฿฿฿>
freedom.jpg.86873344249f525b3cd366411041c13d.jpg

Cannabis farm that is not a "Friend of Anutin."  <prison>

freedoms.jpg.3e3d894c7bcb687bf27aa10ba98a72f8.jpg

Anutin's legislation to "legalize" cannabis was not done to benefit anyone other than his "Friends."

Every Thai can grow 6 plants at home just like any Thai herb - well, if you don't mind being imprisoned for a few years.  Most of the Thai population are not Anutin's "Friends."

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They also could have said as well or get a decent proof reader who isn't sampling the product seen growing in the article.What I want to know is how he got the seeds as that's definitely not Thai weed.Looks like the guy in the bath robe is onto the good stuff,that's a serious nod he's on.

You can easily order seeds online, The Vault, Gorilla Seedbank, etc.

All will post to Thailand.

You only really need one feminised seed, then can take as many cuttings as you like.

So a friend tells me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...