Buying a new car

Are you planning to buy in Thailand?

Just my thoughts... Nissan Rogue is not available afaik and I just checked with Nissan Thailand homepage.

Why the Hyundai Kona? It's going to cost a fortune due to import tax.

If you want full electric, have you considered MG ZS EV?

Or for plug in Hybrid MG HS PHEV or Mitusbishi Outlander PHEV

The Rogue is branded as the X Trail here. Been driving one for two years after renting a Rouge while home on vacation. Its a great car no problems at all, and I enjoy the hybrid. Easy service at Nissan as well.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Nissan Thailand stopped selling X-Trail september 2020 

Hyundai Kona is available in Thailand only in full electric form prices starting at 1.8 million baht

Is the Nissan not on a new platform for 2021? 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking to buy a VAN,  I would go with Toyota but the best one I've seen is the H-1 made by Hyundai I never ever thought I would be looking at a Korean car yes I know they have come a long way.

Here is my problem I live in Pattaya there is a dealership in Banglamung but they don't have a model to show in fact when I walk in there wasn't anything on the show floor to show. Getting online the next closes is in Muang Chon Buri but with virus and lockdown I got their number and try calling if they have models to show before I make the trip.  It has been 3 days now no one answers the phone!  I've also try contacting Hyundai of Thailand sent them several message as of today still no reply.

I've tried Google to see if there is a Thailand buyers Forum to find out about their service, reliabilty, nothing comes up for Thailand. Makes me wonder what I'm getting into if no one even answers the phone!

19 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I have been looking to buy a VAN,  I would go with Toyota but the best one I've seen is the H-1 made by Hyundai I never ever thought I would be looking at a Korean car yes I know they have come a long way.

Here is my problem I live in Pattaya there is a dealership in Banglamung but they don't have a model to show in fact when I walk in there wasn't anything on the show floor to show. Getting online the next closes is in Muang Chon Buri but with virus and lockdown I got their number and try calling if they have models to show before I make the trip.  It has been 3 days now no one answers the phone!  I've also try contacting Hyundai of Thailand sent them several message as of today still no reply.

I've tried Google to see if there is a Thailand buyers Forum to find out about their service, reliabilty, nothing comes up for Thailand. Makes me wonder what I'm getting into if no one even answers the phone!

A lot of places are shut down right now. Maybe not, but they could be limited on employee numbers. 

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

I looked that them, and they are nice, but given the number of dealerships Hyundai has and the number of units they have on the road in Thailand I would not buy one. 

I'm sure it is a fine product, but the lack of support concerns me. Also, while I buy to own and generally don't care about resale, I would be concerned with a Hyundai. 

What Toyota vans have you looked at?  

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I looked that them, and they are nice, but given the number of dealerships Hyundai has and the number of units they have on the road in Thailand I would not buy one. 

I'm sure it is a fine product, but the lack of support concerns me. Also, while I buy to own and generally don't care about resale, I would be concerned with a Hyundai. 

What Toyota vans have you looked at?  

Here in Pattaya area I've seen them all over the road.  My formal neighbor had one and noted no problems I'm not looking to resale once I get it and wanted to local a forum for Hyundai owners to basically answer the questions you noted.

Toyota, Commuter, Hiace, Majestic.  I find the first two just too basic and the Majestic looks out of shape.  Nissan too basic also not Diesel, Honda StepVan too small and overprices imported from Japan?  Then there is the MG, V80,  I've not been able to view it because the dealership don't carry one but it also might be too basic but I do like the price but buying MG feels bad all around.

Out of all of them,  the Hyuadai, starts at 1.3 -1.7 the price is right and feature and luxury for the money is there.  Thanks

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

There over a dozen Hyundai H1 Thailand groups on Facebook some public, some private

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

There over a dozen Hyundai H1 Thailand groups on Facebook some public, some private

Great, maybe you could get one of them to answer the phone or come pick you up when you're stuck. 

There are a bunch of Peugeot clubs as well. 

If you like it buy one. I looked at them when we got the Fortuner and thought they were nice. 

Hyundai are still a relatively minor player in Thailand as compared with Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc.  Service and spares availability could be an issue. The H1 is a pretty good vehicle although it has experienced some automatic transmission problems (chiefly relating to failure of shift solenoids). The transmission is basically a legacy JATCO design built by Hyundai Transys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why? If you're stuck on the side of the road what good does a recording do?

That is the point I'm making!  Anyone using a recorder normally record if the place is close or not home!  But shouldn't be surprise the three numbers on the dealer website first one is push 0 or 1 for operator thereafter it just rings, second, just hangs up, third just continues to ring?  If stuck on the road I just hope the insurance towing works when they come and pick up the vehicle I hope the dealer is open?????

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Hyundai are still a relatively minor player in Thailand as compared with Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc.  Service and spares availability could be an issue. The H1 is a pretty good vehicle although it has experienced some automatic transmission problems (chiefly relating to failure of shift solenoids). The transmission is basically a legacy JATCO design built by Hyundai Transys.

Hyundai builds good product, and because the H1/Starex is on a fourteen year old platform I expect it would be very well refined and trouble-free. 

• 1 month later...

Thought I give everyone an update on my situation regarding Hyundai H-1,  as noted I was having a tough time getting a look at one of the H-1 model and that was for a reason?  Before I get to my story I and my Thai son did as suggested go on Facebook and other research forum to get some consumer feedback on the H-1 Van, majority of the feedback were positive and service and parts were reliable although they don't have a large stake in the market nor a factory in Thailand.

I pretty much looked at the van models particularly the Toyota majority of them were imported from Japan thus the reason the cost although I could afford it being old school I just couldn't see buying something at that price when I could buy two homes for the price they were asking they were nice but not nice enough to justify the money.

So, let get it on, I wrote to Hyundai HQ in Thailand and to my surprise I was contacted back after the weekend by an English speaking saleperson the reason I wasn't able to see any H-1 models was because they were all being recalled throughout the country since the new model the Staria was coming out. When I visited the dealer down the road from my home Banglamung they had now 3 new models starting price 1,799,000 - 1,999,000  this was the next generation models there were some plus and minus compare to the older H-1 models to be honest being old school or just old the damn thing didn't even need a key to start up nor did it have a transmission shift everything was push button and digital Hell NO! The new model had lots to offer but also didn't have some of the things I like in the H-1.

One thing they do  know is how to market the product teasing you to look but when you do the lower end models didn't have much but their website or brochure don't indicate it.  I left thinking a bit more than I wanted to spend plus I like the seating configuration the older H-1 model provided. So I contacted Hyundai HQ again to see whether they would sell me one of the older H-1 the answer was yes but I would need to go into Bangkok but it was suggested I could go to Y-tube to view all the older models. The older H-1 models starting price was 1,300,000 that was really basic for 200,000 more I moved up to the Elite 1,5000,000, I was nearly sold until told no screen to watch yourself backup and no T.V for my granddaugter, side door need to be manual closed so next up with 1,700,000 another 200,000 I would get nearly all I needed.

So from there went back down to the Hyundai dealer and spoke to the saleperson and told him I contacted the HQ and if he was willing I rather order a older model after a bit of negotiation I ended up with the H-1 Deluxe model 1,729,000 more than I expected to pay but with a bit of negotiation and saying it is an outdated model I was actually doing them a favor, so I made an offer 1,700,000 and they throw in all the bells and whistle insurance, custom floor mats, rain screens for the side windows, door handle guards and tinted windows 60-40 one problem they didn't have it in white my favorite color it only left was dark chocolate brown.

Picked it up August 12th, mother day the wife was super happy we since have done a number of cruises around town to the beach everyone loves it. My daughter in law 90 plus Kilos has her own space and leg room she sweats just sitting always complaining A/C isn't strong enough to reach her now she is in heaven. My granddaughter every time we go out points at the van she now wander all over the Van can't decide where she should sit or sleep?  It is like a mobile home?  Just waiting for everyone to get vaccinated and the country opens up so we take it up to her farm. ????

Edited by thailand49