Chinese "tonic" - Safe?

Picked up some of this traditional Chinese 'tonic' on my travels recently, from a tiny traditional Chinese Medicine Shop. Couldn't resist having a poke around inside. The little old lady looked in my eyes, squeezed my wrist, and then sold me this stuff, throwing in a free dead dried sea-horse (poor thing). Not sure what the sea horse is for.

I believe the capsules are a kind of mushroom extract, but am cautious since I remember reading somewhere that some Chinese Trad. Meds may contain harmful and powerful substances.

This is called WILD LINGZHU. I was looking for Ginkgo Biloba as a natural remedy for menopausally induced forgetfulness. Apparently this Lingzhu is a good option to Ginkgo, and also helps with insomnia.

Just about to Google it, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has first hand experience with it.

wild Ligzhu is used for a lot of applications. I just looked at www.shanghor.com

under lingzhi & you & was suprised to see how often it is used in chineese herbology in the Orient. Check out this website for more info Good luck

Beardog

hi

is it Lingzhu or Lingzhi?

My dad has been taking Lingzhi capsules since he had a stroke on recommendation of a HK friend. Seems to have many uses and hasn't done my dad any harm so far - as far as we can tell. It's pretty expensive in HK - well if it's made in Japan. China-made ones are apparently cheaper. Wonder how much your capsules cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bkkmei - Box says "Superior Wild Lingzhi" I am sorry I dont know how much they were, but remember husband said they were expensive.

I also got some Ginko Bilboa (dried leaves of the Ginkgo tree, in capsule form), as I know they are supposed to help with mental accuity. I was hoping they would help with my menopausal bad memory, and they certainly have.

But have not tried the Lingzhi caps yet. I believe they have similar properties, but think that the second (ginko) is the least costly. Before considering Ginkgo for your dad, I would make sure that your dads existing meds do not conflict. Maybe cheaper to buy a Ginkgo tree? I had one in Ireland, and know someone who used to eat a ginkgo sandwich every day. He is still going strong at 97 !

Good luck to you and all the best to your dad for a full recovery.

Chinese folk medicines are ancient and effective cures for what ails you ?????? I wouldn't put too much faith in remedies that use tiger penis, rhinoceros horn and snake blood as key ingredients. I have more faith in my Thai wife's mother and her family medicines.

Gary -- Many of todays medications started out as ancient folk remedies. Aspirin comes from the bark of the willow tree, foxglove gives digitalis for heart conditions. Peppermint calms nerves.Etc etc.

Ginkgo is the leaf of a tree. It is not part of an animal. The Linghzi is a mushroom. Again not a part of an animal. I posted the original question to ensure the safety of taking the Chinese tonic. I have read that some Chinese compounds contain extremely strong natural pharmaceuticals which can interact badly with other meds.

Probably your Thai wifes mothers remedies are mostly herbal/plant based, and many of these so called 'old wives tales' remedies are being shown by science to really have positive effects.

My gran always told us to rub a wound, to stop it hurting. Turns out that this is the best thing in most minor cases, since the rubbing stimulates the production of endorphins, the brains naturally produced opiates.

It is a fascinating subject, and one which interests me hugely. Would not personally knowingly use any part of an animal as a remedy, unless totally desperate. Even then, probably not.

Hi Bkkmei - Box says "Superior Wild Lingzhi" I am sorry I dont know how much they were, but remember husband said they were expensive.

I also got some Ginko Bilboa (dried leaves of the Ginkgo tree, in capsule form), as I know they are supposed to help with mental accuity. I was hoping they would help with my menopausal bad memory, and they certainly have.

But have not tried the Lingzhi caps yet. I believe they have similar properties, but think that the second (ginko) is the least costly. Before considering Ginkgo for your dad, I would make sure that your dads existing meds do not conflict. Maybe cheaper to buy a Ginkgo tree? I had one in Ireland, and know someone who used to eat a ginkgo sandwich every day. He is still going strong at 97 !

Good luck to you and all the best to your dad for a full recovery.

Hi

My wife is at that age...sometimes its the one minute memory...so understand the problem...where can I get a pick up load of Ginko Bilboa from..seriously though..you can buy it anywhere?..thanks

Edited by John45