Social Media Scam

ukbiker

The latest social media scam I've come across seems to be super dupa not to be missed bargains usually tool sets or DIY electrical tools. The ad looks very authentic and professionally made and its always cash on delivery so what can go wrong, After reading the ad meticulously (it was a 20v drill with multi attachments for the bargain price of 1295 bt} it did actually say the weight was 13 lb  I thought what can go wrong so I ordered it. After three or four days I receive a phone call from the delivery man he was outside my condo with a parcel and he required 1295 bt. payment. I met the man at the condo reception and he handed me the parcel. I thought this isn't very big and it's certainly not 3 lb in weight so I opened it under great protest from the delivery man who wanted paying upon handing the parcel over. Inside the wrapping I found quite a large plastic box with three screw drives and an adjustable spanner inside. A few day later I was on my social media page and yet another super bargain appeared with cash on delivery for 96 pc combination socket set 1/4" and 1/2" square drive for 1595 bt so I ordered again same thing as before phone call from delivery man I took the parcel from him and under. great protest I opened the it and it was a cheap and nasty 1/4" set worth about 200 bt.  So I handed it back to the exceedingly angry delivery man. So if anyone is tempted by these super offers on social media make sure you check what you receive before you hand over any cash. B.T.W. any offers I see now no matter what it is I'm ordering so maybe these thieves will cotton on eventually and stop trying to con people.             

Edited by ukbiker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Your actions could have cost the delivery guy his job !

He is just the delivery guy, what you did was wrong and unfair to him.

No payment, no parcel, should be the correct procedure. Its "cash on delivery", not cash after inspection.

If its wrong or whatever thats between you and the seller.

If you suuspect foul play, video the parcel being opened.

That's certainly not the case with Lazada, which encourages people to unpack their consignment to check the contents are as described while the delivery man is on hand, if possible taking a video while doing so, and only then handing over the COD if all is in order. 

Not convenient or particularly nice for the driver, but it does avoid the kind of ripoffs described by the OP.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:46 AM, ChristianBlessing said:

Perhaps you might be more specific than "social media scam". Facebook, Instagram...etc?

Facebook. Its as though the delivery drivers are part of the scam I have had many deliveries from Lazada I've never had a problem opening parcels and checking the contents before paying and to be fair they have always been correct as advertised and ordered. Its as though the delivery men from these other firms know the scam is going on. 

Edited by ukbiker

On 7/10/2021 at 2:54 PM, KeeTua said:

Crappy thing to do to those delivery men and they may have ended up having to pay for those items themselves.

In my opinion they are part of the scam never had a problem with opening and checking parcels from Lazada and they are always correct as ordered.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, Pottinger said:

That's certainly not the case with Lazada, which encourages people to unpack their consignment to check the contents are as described while the delivery man is on hand, if possible taking a video while doing so, and only then handing over the COD if all is in order. 

Not convenient or particularly nice for the driver

That is definitely not the process with Lazada COD deliveries.   The driver is supposed to collect the cash before handing over the parcel (i.e Cash On Delivery) and he is not authorised to accept rejected items.   The company has a returns procedure for that.

Lazada has just confirmed that on the phone 5 minutes ago.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, ukbiker said:

In my opinion they are part of the scam never had a problem with opening and checking parcels from Lazada and they are always correct as ordered.

You can't have done that with COD deliveries, with the driver's co-operation, as Lazada drivers have strict "get payment before handing over the parcel" instructions and they do not have a rejected item policy that allows the driver to accept returns.   Lazada has an official process for returns.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, Mickeymaus said:

Lazada clearly states in their help file that you need to confirm the delivery before you can open the package. And so you have to pay first... Please let us know where you have your information from. 

"Can I open the package and check the item before signing?

You can only open the package once you've signed for it. If you find an issue with the item, click here for instructions and details
of our return process." 

Correct. For those still in doubt here's the link to that info:
https://www.lazada.co.th/helpcenter/Can-I-open-the-package-and-check-the-item-before-signing-6035.html

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 12:13 PM, ukbiker said:

Highly unlikely the delivery guys are part of a scam. Most people know better than to open the package before paying so the typical drivers from Kerry or Flash don't need to be in on the scam to make the delivery and collect the money and be gone before the customer open the package and realizes they were scammed by a Facebook seller.

Imagine what a fiasco it would be if everyone were to open their packages before paying. People will be trying on shoes, testing out electronics etc before paying. And the driver should just stand there patiently with a smile on his face while each COD customer open their packages and what should be a 1 minute delivery turns into 15 minutes?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You can't have done that with COD deliveries, with the driver's co-operation, as Lazada drivers have strict "get payment before handing over the parcel" instructions and they do not have a rejected item policy that allows the driver to accept returns.   Lazada has an official process for returns.

The process is probably very clear-cut for a driver. He leaves the depot with ฿50,000 in COD deliveries and when he returns he has cash and undelivered (unopened) COD items totaling ฿50,000. Any discrepancy and the driver likely must make up the difference and he now owns the opened items.

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

That is definitely not the process with Lazada COD deliveries.   The driver is supposed to collect the cash before handing over the parcel (i.e Cash On Delivery) and he is not authorised to accept rejected items.   The company has a returns procedure for that.

Lazada has just confirmed that on the phone 5 minutes ago.

I wouldn't know about that the parcels from Lazada have always correct so never had need to reject anything.

38 minutes ago, ukbiker said:

I wouldn't know about that the parcels from Lazada have always correct so never had need to reject anything.

I agree with your experiences.  My comment was not about the content of the parcels, though, it was directed to Pottinger who claimed, falsely, that Lazada "encourages people to unpack their consignment to check the contents are as described while the delivery man is on hand and only then handing over the COD if all is in order".