mono laser printer

motdaeng

i have an inkjet printer, now i am really few up to unblock it all the time,
so i like to try a laser printer.

but i don't have any knowledge about mono laser printer.
eg.  is the cartridge refillable, are there different quality / prices
for cartridge. what is important to look at before i buy a mono
laser printer?

the printer is only for private use.  about 1'500 pages (b/w) per year.
scanner function and double sided printing is nice to have but not
absolutely necessary. the budget should be about 2'-5'000 thb. 

any advice or sharing experience is appreciated

stay safe and have a nice day

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

I bought a brother wifi laser printer (mono)

Have the same (1510) and happy with it. Except from some occasional clean of the heater drum there is no headache. What a change from the cheap ink-jets.

Refillable: on the first try I was told that the manufacturer supplied cartridge could not be refilled. So one time bought a new cartrigde and can be refilled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Have the same (1510) and happy with it. Except from some occasional clean of the heater drum there is no headache. What a change from the cheap ink-jets.

Refillable: on the first try I was told that the manufacturer supplied cartridge could not be refilled. So one time bought a new cartrigde and can be refilled.

What’s the heater drum? And how do you clean it?

How many copies do you get out of a

cartridge, I only do copies for immigration these days. 

I have a cheap Epson L210 printer with tanks. Never had a problem in the last few years since I started printing a Word document containing black and white and colour images every few days. The word document is attached.

So that I don't forget to print it, I added a command file to my scheduled tasks which runs every day, and which lets me choose whether or not to print the Word document. The command is:

start WINWORD.EXE "OnePageBWColourTest.doc" /q /n /mFilePrintDefault /mFileSave /mFileClose /mFileExit

OnePageBWColourTest.doc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a/the WiFi version.

Make sure it does what you need.

For example I bought an inexpensive Fuji Xerox mon-laser WiFi, awesome printer, but doesn't print envelopes. Lesson learned.

I use knock-off cartridges from Lazada.

Most printers print two-sides, flip page one, re-feed, pint page 2.

I use a separate scanner. They're cheap.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to all for the good advices.

i bought a budget laser printer, it seems just fine for me.

still have a color printer a3 and external scanner, but i will

now manly use the new brother HlL-1110, thanks for your help!

https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องปริ้นเตอร์เลเซอร์-Brother-HL-1110***หมึกติดเครื่องพร้อมใช้งาน***-i.225417758.8851028152

• Like 1

17 hours ago, motdaeng said:

thanks to all for the good advices.

i bought a budget laser printer, it seems just fine for me.

still have a color printer a3 and external scanner, but i will

now manly use the new brother HlL-1110, thanks for your help!

https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องปริ้นเตอร์เลเซอร์-Brother-HL-1110***หมึกติดเครื่องพร้อมใช้งาน***-i.225417758.8851028152

I've got a HL-1110 which I've been using for a couple of years now and am very happy with it, although I don't print the same volume of paper as you. It's attached to an Asus RT-AC86U router via one of the router's USB ports, allowing it to be configured as a "network" printer even though it is not ethernet or WiFi enabled. 

• Thanks 1

There is a NeverStop printer from HP that actually has toner delivered as syringes and comes with filled cartridges. There are 2 versions of it, one is just printer, while another is a copier. I've played with copier and while print quality is adequate and better than inkjets, it is not as deep black as you would see from high end laser printers. I've used it with Windows, Mac, Linux and mobile (there's an app on the phone to configure it and print to/scan from it). Overall, if you need a printer that comes with ink preinstalled for 2-3 years of your use that can print to from pretty much anywhere, I'd recommend it. The model is 1200w. There's a cheaper 1200a version, which has no wifi and I would not recommend it. If you don't need scan or copy, you could save a bit for a 1000w model, which is just a printer.

If you only plan to use it with a PC with USB cable, then it really would not matter what you choose. The reason for recommending a wifi printer is that it can be used from anything, and be placed anywhere with power socket and wifi signal. Had wifi version of Brother printer and apart from being loud and fuser delaminating on it, the mobile printing was awful. To me it's a convenience to print from phone. And exporting to PDF, then opening in another app which never works properly just isn't the same as the Print button in phone when HP's app is installed.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:39 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've got a HL-1110 which I've been using for a couple of years now and am very happy with it, although I don't print the same volume of paper as you. It's attached to an Asus RT-AC86U router via one of the router's USB ports, allowing it to be configured as a "network" printer even though it is not ethernet or WiFi enabled. 

I also got the Brother HL-1110 but print quality is terrible and I have to set the density at the darkest point to get a barely acceptable output. Apart from that it gets extremely hot in a manner of minutes.

Yes, it is cheap (ca 1,500 Baht a few years ago) but IMO that is reflected in the quality. 

I've bought a Brother MFC-7470D which is also a scanner, I'm quite happy with it, at the time it cost 6000 baht.

The only thing that was a bit iffy were the drivers to get everything to work.

Refills are quite cheap, available as no-brand from Lazada.

After function and print quality, that would be the first thing I would be looking for in a printer.

Edited by tgw

On 7/13/2021 at 1:23 PM, mtls2005 said:

Get a/the WiFi version.

Make sure it does what you need.

For example I bought an inexpensive Fuji Xerox mon-laser WiFi, awesome printer, but doesn't print envelopes. Lesson learned.

I use knock-off cartridges from Lazada.

Most printers print two-sides, flip page one, re-feed, pint page 2.

I use a separate scanner. They're cheap.

I also have an inexpensive (B1900) Fuji-Xerox "All-in-One" lazer printer purchased 4 years ago at IT City, Fortune Tower.  Probably no more than 1000 pages a year, replaced my first full cartridge early this year.   So far, no problems at all.

I also wish I'd paid B1000 more and gotten the WI-Fi version.

The Imaging Drum, the heart of a laser printer; has a predefined maximum cycles life... It might pay to research what the cost will be for it's ultimate replacing?  

The above is one of the major points I discovered in hindsight, after buying a 2nd hand machine. I had no idea at the time how many cycles the printer had had used up its previous life. 

Some may say the Imaging Drum can be cleaned by User. However one must really know what one is doing, otherwise the drum can easily be US'd by touching/wiping/brushing it inappropriately; and nothing can be done for it thereafter, except replacing in toto