Watch Out For This Bus Scam

Weho

I was walking into Ekamai bus station in Bangkok, and a bus was exiting... two uniformed guys jumped out of the bus, which said "BANGKOK-RAYONG", and said I could board immediately, and go to Pattaya for 100 baht... no waiting.

He managed to hook about 4 farangs onto the 1/2 empty bus. I asked him if the bus was NONSTOP to Pattaya, he said it was, then he added, "we go motorway". Two hours into the ride, we were only around Suvarnabumi airport, making DOZENS of stops, going nowhere near any highway or motorway. The bus paid no tolls the entire trip... all small roads, lots of traffic. It took FIVE AND ONE HALF HOURS to get to Pattaya.

There wasn't much I could do, but yell at the liar who hooked me in, as I got off the bus, and he was laughing... he probably does it every day.

There were two advantages, I would mention... I had an empty seat next to me the whole time, and since the bus went down Sukumvit, i was able to get off near Tepprasit, where I live, so I didn't have to hire a 200 baht "baht bus" from the Pattaya bus station to my home, (i had luggage).

But to save 13 baht on the bus fare is NOT worth it... take the 113 baht busses, which usually take about two hours, up to three, depending on traffic. And also, there was NO REST ROOM on the bus... and at one point, the bus ticket guy gets off the bus to smoke a cigarette, as the entire bus waits for him. Go figure.

They have been doing this for years its nothing new, always go to the window and buy a ticket for the first Class bus, not the second class

If the bus has an orange stripe on it its a second class bus it will have a ป2 on the side of the bus its a second class, will stop everywhere nearly.

The ป1 bus is just blue stripe and you must get a ticket from the window, with all the road works with onnut BTS extension the Mochit bus is quicker to Pattaya in peak hour

I agree- nothing new here. They suckered you- because the savings of 13 baht and a few minutes waiting seemed an attractive offer.

Considering your previous escalator experience and need for clear signage, I'm surprised that you fell for their scam. I woulda thought that you would go inside and buy a ticket from the girl sitting under a great big sign!

:o

had the same thing happen to me about four months ago, facing the terminal in bangkok i went to the ticket window to the left of the station, i felt something was wrong when i found out the ticket was cheaper than my pattaya to bangkok ticket but knew asking questions was a waste of time.

after two hours of driving down streets that i have never seen before i realized that i had made one bad mistake, after a total of close to five hours i was dropped off on sukhimvit, and i had to walk to central with luggage.

on my next trip i was with my thai friend and they showed me the right window to go to, all you can do is chalk this up to experience, one of the issues i found to be so frustrating living in thailand is that many of your bad experiences will have to be learned first hand unless you read about it in a forum such as this one

jasper

I agree- nothing new here. They suckered you- because the savings of 13 baht and a few minutes waiting seemed an attractive offer.

Considering your previous escalator experience and need for clear signage, I'm surprised that you fell for their scam. I woulda thought that you would go inside and buy a ticket from the girl sitting under a great big sign!

I wish you guys would lay off with the "nothing new here" bs. Not all of us have lived in Thailand forever.

This is a very useful post and thanks to the OP for clearly indicating a scam that could very easily catch out many of us.

Edited by tropo

I wish you guys would lay off with the "nothing new here" bs. Not all of us have lived in Thailand forever.

This is a very useful post and thanks to the OP for clearly indicating a scam that could very easily catch out many of us.

I agree with you tropo...a good warning for us newcomers.Thanks mate.

You're completely wrong, and making things up out of thin air. I wasn't suckered because of any savings, but rather because I was LIED TO, by a LIAR, someone who distorts the truth... the bus was NOT nonstop, and did NOT use the motorway/highway. You need to read more carefully.

Also, your sexist comment about "girls" selling tickets shows your intellect, or lack of it. They are not always "girls", as you put it. You should get out more often.

the moral of this story is :

don't go to pattaya

That's almost the silliest thing I've ever read here. The moral, if there is one, has nothing to do with Pattaya. If anything, maybe the moral is don't go to Bangkok. But I posted it under "Pattaya", because I would hope the crooks and liars that work on that bus line, don't get away with it again. At the same time, if you're traveling anywhere else, I suppose you should be on the lookout. I was robbed of three and a half hours additional and unnecessary travel time, because I made the mistake of actually TRUSTING someone.

And touche to the poster who was annoyed with the "why on earth are you posting that, cause I myself already know it..."... There are new people all the time here, and there is no reason to scare them away or deter them from posting in the future, for fear that some old-timer will scold them for some stupid reason.

My comment about it being not a new thing was just to show they have been doing it for a long time, nothing aimed at it being asilly post which it isnt. I did add further details however to help newcommers not get misled, again orange stripe/ป2 2nd class stops all over the place, the bus boy also hearding people is another give away

My comment about it being not a new thing was just to show they have been doing it for a long time, nothing aimed at it being asilly post which it isnt. I did add further details however to help newcommers not get misled, again orange stripe/ป2 2nd class stops all over the place, the bus boy also hearding people is another give away

Yes, true, you did add something new and reasonable, most appreciated. I guess I would have just left out the part about "nothing new", which is offensive to new people trying to find their way around in a sometimes difficult place, that doesn't even bother posting signs for dangerous escalators, where some here have even posted they laughed at escalator accidents.

You're completely wrong, and making things up out of thin air. I wasn't suckered because of any savings, but rather because I was LIED TO, by a LIAR, someone who distorts the truth... the bus was NOT nonstop, and did NOT use the motorway/highway. You need to read more carefully.

Also, your sexist comment about "girls" selling tickets shows your intellect, or lack of it. They are not always "girls", as you put it. You should get out more often.

Weho- I read clearly enough and acknowledged that you were lied to... suckered in other words.

I'm wondering what it was about the lie that seemed attractive to you and caused you to absolutely believe the liar and make the split second decision to jump on a bus that was rolling out of the station? If it wasn't the discount offered or the time saved waiting for the next bus, what was it?

To address the sexist comment, I stand corrected in that I should have been politically correct and said "person sitting under a great big sign." However, I do get out often enough to see that the overwhelming percentage of bus ticket salespeople are female.

I'm wondering what it was about the lie that seemed attractive to you and caused you to absolutely believe the liar and make the split second decision to jump on a bus that was rolling out of the station? If it wasn't the discount offered or the time saved waiting for the next bus, what was it?

What attracted me was that since I was carrying a lot of heavy luggage, I wouldn't have to walk over to the ticket booth, stand in line there, and then probably get on a bus leaving in about 40 minutes, and have to wait in the UN air conditioned area maybe 40 minutes. I also asked the bus liar guy if I could get TWO seats on the bus, and he said I could... but I didn't have to pay for the second seat, unless the bus filled up somewhere. The savings of 100 baht on the second (empty) seat next to me wasn't a big deal, but to have the empty seat WAS a big deal, I was willing to pay for... I was willing to pay the 100 baht at any time, to keep the seat empty. I also didn't want to take a risk on another bus, where I might the one of the last two undesirable rows, which I didn't have to worry about on this half empty, but SLOW bus.

Being "suckered" would have been if I hadn't done everything within reason to assure the bus was what they told me it was... I asked the two important and simple questions: was the bus nonstop to Pattaya, as usual, and did it use the motorway/highway... I was told both were true...

"Suckered"? I don't think so. "Lied to"? I'm guilty of that. If a Thai person who looks to be in reasonable authority tells me something, I'm probably going to give them the benefit of any doubt, and believe them. The ticket scammers appeared to understand the questions in English, and they simply intentionally lied to me.

Hopefully, this won't happen to someone else who got to read the thread... I know I won't so easily be lied to again.

:o Brilliant!

Just read the escalator thread too, legendary! This Weho guy is quite a character...

This Weho guy is quite a character...

I guess i'll take that as a compliment... but you have ALSO made a sexist assumption that Weho is a "guy". What evidence do you have that Weho is a "guy"?

This is fair warning for new people (especially farangs) travelling on the bus from Ekamai to Pattaya although I think it happens to almost everyone the first time they go to this bus station, these people look for unsuspecting victims who obviously don't know the system.

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I used this mode of transport and it took me over 4 hours instead of 2 to get from Bangkok to Pattaya, they have been doing this for many years (which does not mean it is right) I just took it as a lesson learned!

P.S. I have just read the thread on the airport escalator and thought it was hilarious (although I can see it does have a serious side) welcome to life in Thailand weho!

Getting suckered onto that bus seems like a right of passage. My experience only lasted four hours though.

I guess i'll take that as a compliment... but you have ALSO made a sexist assumption that Weho is a "guy". What evidence do you have that Weho is a "guy"?

Well, you do list your yahoo id as "jimmyfuhrman." James is generally considered a guy's name.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/profile?sid=16849&fr=

• 2 weeks later...

I got suckered on this one about 6 years ago. And to add insult to injury, there was no lavatory/restroom on the bus!!!!

Took about 5 hours to get to Pattaya, and I had no choice but to find some shadows (it was dark by the time I arrived) near some buildings to go relieve myself!

Next I had to flag down a baht bus on Sukhumvit and pay him twice what my bus fare was to take me down to a hotel.

Good info here on this thread. I hope lots of folks read it and take heed.

Cheers!

Jay

Weho, you had done a good deed for many females who travel solo. Most ladies prefer taking public transportation rather than taxi. This doesn't about saving money rather for our own safety.

Story about a farang got killed by a hired taxi who supposed to take this gentleman from Pataya to SUV/airport for the flight out back to UK few months ago. Half way to the airport, the driver decided to robbed and killed him. His body was left on the roadside. Luckily, the police found the receipt of the taxi company that he had arranged for a ride days early, the killer was caught the following day.

This story is really a wake up call for us. You can not feel safe even you hire taxi from a raputed and well known company to you.

Thanks for all the worning.

I'm a giver... maybe they should give me out some kind of humanitarian award or something, or appear on television with the asian Oprah, "Maylee".

Then they could give me my own parade, maybe name a shopping center after me, and I could get preferential seating at the Sizzler.

Well add me to the list. Despite having made the journey several dozen times I allowed myselfs to be lured on to that ****ers bus. Quick it go now no time buy ticket buy on bus quick quick........ <deleted> wore a Rado watch if I remember.

Cant wait to meet the guy again infact I am getting on his bus and just before the off I am going to tell every falang and asian tourist that the bus will take 6 hours and will at certain points be cramed standing room only. I will of course say this in the nicest possible way. " Ladies and gentlmen I enjoy this bus firm so much I want to share my last trip with you....."

Serious possibility I will be drinking my first beer in Patts through a straw but that <deleted> needs telling he is a <deleted>.

Richard

What's with the third person crap?

Weho needs to be treated with respect... if the party is given for Weho, Christmas 2009, that is, if Weho AGREES to have the party given in Weho's honor, Weho is advising in advance that no one is to come closer than one meter to Weho, and do not ever look Weho directly in the eyes. Weho doesn't like that. Got that, Rockchester? Yes sir!

Oh, and Weho's cold water glass needs to constantly be refilled with purified chilled water. Weho thanks you for your cooperation.

Edited by Weho

I was walking into Ekamai bus station in Bangkok, and a bus was exiting... two uniformed guys jumped out of the bus, which said "BANGKOK-RAYONG", and said I could board immediately, and go to Pattaya for 100 baht... no waiting.

He managed to hook about 4 farangs onto the 1/2 empty bus. I asked him if the bus was NONSTOP to Pattaya, he said it was, then he added, "we go motorway". Two hours into the ride, we were only around Suvarnabumi airport, making DOZENS of stops, going nowhere near any highway or motorway. The bus paid no tolls the entire trip... all small roads, lots of traffic. It took FIVE AND ONE HALF HOURS to get to Pattaya.

Yeah, cold as hel_l and NO toilet onboard either!!!!

I got hoodwinked into taking this bus many, many years ago - but that was the only time!

If I had ten baht for everyone that said they fell for this scam, as I did, ONE TIME, I could retire in the Pratumnak area of town... And I just want to issue out a JEERS to the earlier poster who wrote something like, "we all know about this, it's been written about years ago..." Because maybe, just maybe, a "newbie" to town won't fall for it, as we did... and we have the courage to admit that we did. But we Pattayans are givers...

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a trip to the big Smoke yesterday i took some pics that may help some, maybe not

anyway when you get to Ekkamai bus terminal, go inside on the right hand side and you will see window #1, yesterday ticket was 117baht

ticketsfd9.th.jpg

Then go out the back to bus stop one to catch the first class bus, your bus will have ป1 on it and only be white with blue stripe, also number 48-xx, 48 is the route and xx is the bus number as shown on your ticket.

bus1ln2.th.jpg

If you see people standing out the front next to a bus like this its the 2nd class bus, it stops a lot, around 5 hour trip be warned, i think they put the class 2 pattaya bus outside like this just for that reason, all other class 2 buses depart from the rear.

class2alu0.th.jpg

Here it is again Class two bus, marked with an orange stripe as well as blue

class2fv2.th.jpg

Getting suckered onto that bus seems like a right of passage. My experience only lasted four hours though.

Well, you do list your yahoo id as "jimmyfuhrman." James is generally considered a guy's name.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/profile?sid=16849&fr=

is this the same person as WEHO? sure sounds like the same idiot so-nam-na

When it comes to tipping, good luck

By STEVE HUETTEL, Times Staff Writer

Published April 19, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To tip or not to tip?

Most calls are easy. Only a teenager, maybe only a group of teenagers, would stiff a decent waiter. Most cabbies, pizza delivery guys, barbers, hairdressers and bartenders deserve a few extra bucks.

But travelers run into situations on the road where the rules aren't so clear-cut. One at the airport comes to mind: skycaps checking luggage at airport curbsides.

Jimmy Fuhrman, a musician living in Thailand, sparked a lively conversation last week about tipping skycaps on FlyerTalk.com, the most comprehensive Web site of business travelers talking about business travel. (Other topics on the site included "Why do teenage girls carry full-size pillows through the airport?" and "What are you doing in my aisle seat?")

Fuhrman wrote about an incident three years ago in which a skycap he stiffed at New York's JFK International Airport threw two pieces of his luggage against a wall "as hard as he could in an attempt to break anything he could, including the luggage."

He gets sick of skycaps aggressively soliciting for tips, Fuhrman wrote me in an e-mail. Fuhrman made a distinction between a skycap simply putting a bag on a luggage belt and someone providing special service that merits a tip in a restaurant.

"A restaurant waiter or waitress doesn't have to substitute my tomatoes for broccoli, nor do they always have to refill my soft drink," he wrote. "Skycaps, on the other hand, are only there to do skycapping. I have already paid the airline to check and transport luggage."

But skycaps generally work for contractors hired by the airlines. Like waiters, they rely largely on tips that are harder to come by lately. Some big carriers - including American and United at Tampa International Airport - charge $2 for each bag checked at curbside.

The deal wasn't done with the little guy in mind. Contractors receive the fees, so airlines could cut how much they paid for skycaps to serve their customers.

So, is the traveler who used to tip $5 for checking a couple of bags now going to cough up a $5 on top of the $4 fee? It seems unlikely. I've got to think most people keep paying the same $5 or maybe add a tiny tip to the charge.

American acknowledged that and said its contractors were required to increase skycaps' base salary. United leaves pay up to the contractors, a spokeswoman said.

But United's local contractor says her skycaps make out better now. Curbside check-in dropped to 7 percent of checked bags when United began charging last year, says Susan Alvis, the local general manager for Premium Service Management.

That climbed back to 20 percent as people got used to the fee and skycaps hustled more. Her skycaps now, for example, go to the curb and pull luggage out of car trunks, she says. Travelers respond to the extra effort and "since they've already got their wallets out, they're more generous," Alvis says.

Here's another travel tipping question that deserves discussion: What about hotel housekeepers? They're almost exclusively women earning a starting wage about $7 an hour.

They push heavy carts all day and lift bulky mattresses. Despite those reminders in hotel rooms, about half of 137 people in a USA Today vacation traveler panel said they never or only occasionally left a tip.

Obviously, you expect a clean room for your money. But is their work any less deserving than the service you get from a waiter or cab driver? Do we ignore housekeepers because we don't typically see them doing their jobs?

What do you think?

If I had ten baht for everyone that said they fell for this scam, as I did, ONE TIME, I could retire in the Pratumnak area of town... And I just want to issue out a JEERS to the earlier poster who wrote something like, "we all know about this, it's been written about years ago..." Because maybe, just maybe, a "newbie" to town won't fall for it, as we did... and we have the courage to admit that we did. But we Pattayans are givers...

I've never fell for it. Does that help Weho? I'm just trying to help.