Koh Samui: Huge crowds descend on island hospital seeking Astra Zeneca jab - only half get it

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

aily News reported that thousands of people descended on Koh Samui Hospital yesterday after officials announced registration for those as yet unvaccinated and relatives of people living on the holiday island.

Didn't they say just the other day vaccinations were on target or even ahead of schedule?

Supposed to be completed in 3 days for the 15th grand opening.

Edited by hotchilli

i had my AZ on Friday 9 July at the high school on Koh Phangan have to say it was very well organised all credit to all the staff who remained quiet and polite to us farangs and there were plenty of us in line 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

another super spreader event, you'd think that they would have learnt by now, early variant - 10 minutes of close proximity to infected, delta variant - just have to walk past an infected to catch it and unfortunately its the asian way of life, market's, crowds, gatherings. Its not rocket science, just stay away from other people, stay away from ferries, markets, public transport, queues, crowds and indoor areas. Regardless of what the government prints, it is rife in Thailand and the situation will worsen. I can understand their desperation but not their actions.

they never learn. not at daytime not at nighttime.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/samui-phangan-reopening-bars-open-5000-baht-covid-tests

3 days till opening of Samui ... wondering where this will lead

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Robs5ct said:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/samui-phangan-reopening-bars-open-5000-baht-covid-tests

Hm. An interesting 'stab in the back' article by a Phuket paper.

I wonder if  'and may draw Phuket Sandbox tourists longing for a drink and a night out.' has anything to do with it?

Looking at the photos, it seems that The Thaiger only went to one property.

Yes - many restaurants are open in certain parts of Samui.

1 hour ago, Robs5ct said:

Well. That was interesting.

Having read the article in the esteemed Thaiger, I thought 'Hm. Maybe things are picking up in Chaweng?'

So, I put on my evening flip-flops, a clean shirt and headed off to have a beer and practice Thai with some young ladies in Chaweng.

Imagine my disappointment when I got to Chaweng. Dead. Still a scene from a Zombie movie. There is more fun in little old Bangrak. (There is more fun in the local 7/11. At least that is open.)

I saw two restaurants open on the Beach road.  Soi Green Mango was all in darkness. Nothing open. No people anywhere. Out of Soi Green Mango, near Central Festival, there was one bar playing music. No customers.

So - "On any given night, customers can be seen drinking and dancing without any masks or social distancing in popular clubs and small bars"

I will be polite and call this 'creative journalism'. The powers that be here in Thailand would call it fake news.

Maybe a case of sour grapes by a Phuket newspaper? I will certainly read it's stories from a different perspective from now on.

8 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

another super spreader event, you'd think that they would have learnt by now, early variant - 10 minutes of close proximity to infected, delta variant - just have to walk past an infected to catch it and unfortunately its the asian way of life, market's, crowds, gatherings. Its not rocket science, just stay away from other people, stay away from ferries, markets, public transport, queues, crowds and indoor areas. Regardless of what the government prints, it is rife in Thailand and the situation will worsen. I can understand their desperation but not their actions.

Worse is that many are not Samui residents, they come mainly from Surat Thani to get a jab, as the supply there is next to nothing. That creates movement of people from not so close areas and further opportunities for virus spreading.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Having read the article in the esteemed Thaiger, I thought 'Hm. Maybe things are picking up in Chaweng?'

So, I put on my evening flip-flops, a clean shirt and headed off to have a beer and practice Thai with some young ladies in Chaweng.

Imagine my disappointment when I got to Chaweng. Dead. Still a scene from a Zombie movie. There is more fun in little old Bangrak. (There is more fun in the local 7/11. At least that is open.)

I saw two restaurants open on the Beach road.  Soi Green Mango was all in darkness. Nothing open. No people anywhere. Out of Soi Green Mango, near Central Festival, there was one bar playing music. No customers.

So - "On any given night, customers can be seen drinking and dancing without any masks or social distancing in popular clubs and small bars"

I will be polite and call this 'creative journalism'. The powers that be here in Thailand would call it fake news.

Maybe a case of sour grapes by a Phuket newspaper? I will certainly read it's stories from a different perspective from now on.

Chaweng is still dead..pretty much nothing is opened along the Beach Road. I pass there almost every day on the way to swim. The Seen beach bar works only Friday-Sunday. There are a few other open places on the beach, but you won't see them from the road, need either to know them or approach through the beach. The Blue Lagoon hotel is closing and selling all the equipment.  However one can still book it on Agoda 555

If one wants to stay in Chaweng, the best bet IMO is to find a hotel in 200 meters radius from the Phetbutcha Stadium. There is a beach access, plenty of food around and some entertainment. The 7-11 near Phetbutcha works, and also the one up street near the bars.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Maybe you try Bangrak, Chaweng lake side or Soi Reggae for your next beer. 

But I agree with you. Phuket businesses probably not very happy about the "unfair" competition from Samui.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robs5ct said:

Maybe you try Bangrak, Chaweng lake side or Soi Reggae for your next beer. 

But I agree with you. Phuket businesses probably not very happy about the "unfair" competition from Samui.

Bangrak is my usual 'watering hole'.

I need to have some friends with me if I go to Soi Reggae - too frightened of the katoys to go on my own ???? smiling emoji! ????

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:12 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Two weeks later ... you remember ?

Chaweng / Black Bamboo is the new Thonglor ☠️

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/koh-samui-bar-and-club-finds-16-covid-19-infections

• Confused 1