My Future.

BambinA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen past papers, Thai friends of mine have studied before they test (or maybe it was textbooks too). I remember some of them needed quite good general knowledge or even specific knowledge to pass. For some reason a question about the inner workings of a tap springs to mind!

Just study a bit more and take the test again if you want a higher mark. I think the subject matter of the questions could greatly affect your mark. Definitely looking at past papers will help

Just a few brief comments - IELTS does not aim to test general knowledge, though very occasionally it might come into play. Part I of the Writing test will require description of a graph/diagram/etc., so yes, the candidate needs to be "graph/diagram/etc." literate, as well as able to describe the trends/process/etc. in English at an appropriate level of formality. Some ability to think analytically and abstractly is indeed needed, as the candidate needs to demonstrate the ability to produce academic language, when needed, in the higher bands.

"Past papers" are not available. These would be re-creations or practice-type papers. There are numerous non-official "resources" available, both commercial and non-commercial, on the internet & in bookshops & from language study mills, for IELTS candidates. Candidates should be very cautious about using these, because of the enormous amount of misinformation they contain.

In Thailand, IELTS tests are administered by British Council and IDP Australia. See :

http://www.britishcouncil.org/th/thailand-exams-ielts.htm

http://www.idp.com/thailand/article109.asp

And all the best to BambinA :o !

P.S. Bambi - yes, you must see Cesar Millan, "The Dog Whisperer". The series been shown on television here & may well be repeated. He has a website. Can anyone help more with getting the tv programs to Bambi ?

Edited by spectrum

jamesc2000,

You're absolutely right! You are not a student of vet science! :D Bambi was posing questions she gets asked; not questions she doesn't know the answers to.

All of the "humping" questions in dogs are most likely down to dominance (male & female) not being horny or friendly. No-one was suggesting fixing - read neutering - for barking, just "fixing the problem". And why is neutering cruel? I'd love to hear your opinion on this. BTW, fish have a very short attention span, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to communicate with them. Best of luck in your day job - I wouldn't swap to animal behaviourist, if I were you. :o

Three URL's why (early) altering can be cruel:

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHea...euterInDogs.pdf

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

Cesar Millan uses abusive training and behavior modification methods. Has a court case against him, as children are copying his methods with dog bites as a result.

And for Bambina, I've read the webpage on the Animal Biology. Are you sure you can become an animal behaviorist? There are loads of different animals and, thus, loads of different behavior (problems).

I've studied dog behavior and there's a LOT more to it then the courses as mentioned on that page. Only to mention, for example, what vaccination and altering can have of influence on the behavior of the dog. And then I only talk about dogs, not even about other animal species.

Nienke

And for Bambina, I've read the webpage on the Animal Biology. Are you sure you can become an animal behaviorist? There are loads of different animals and, thus, loads of different behavior (problems).

I'm quite sure. I thought about a master degree of anesthesiology.But it's not the thing i like.

According to the research course,I can choose what i want to scope with my thesis and i can choose the species.

There is no animal behaviourist in Thailand.And I know I have to study from procaryote, a single cell 's behaviour as protozoa to eucaryote.

I hope I will be fine with any class.

I can stand no more with some vets and clients who want to solve the problem of massive barking dogs by ventricular cordectomy (debarking) .Or people who want to solve the problem of aggressive dogs by extracting all 4 canines or cutting one third of canine. I think it is not the right way .We had better find out the origin cause.And it is behaviour problem.I was not the one who crazy with animal.After I have my own pet , i understand how animal lovers feel.

After my graduation in master degree,I will take Ph.D.

However,I have finished my CV and SoP.I will jump to my Vet school asap .Next step i need 2 letters of recommendation from 2 Prof. (no problem with it..fews of professors offered me to do it already) :o

And then I will just wait for the Univ if they want to accept me to take thier class or not.

If not , i will be not sad.I have been doing my best already.

xoxox for all

Bambi

ps, I feel bad with my family's dog.I was 10 years old that time.Now i know she dead and suffered from heartworm disease.I wish i was a vet that time.

Edited by BambinA

Cesar Millan uses abusive training and behavior modification methods. Has a court case against him, as children are copying his methods with dog bites as a result.

I don't wish to send this thread veering off topic, but I am very surprised to read these comments :o . I googled & found something about a court case which ensued from some of Cesar's workers possibly using a choke collar on a dog & forcing him onto a treadmill, plus this http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageSer...s_dog_whisperer . Hmmm. Not sure what to think about it all - perhaps one could argue that dogs can be rough & sometimes a little roughness is needed in return ? When is the line into abusiveness crossed ? I cannot bear to see animals suffer, even discomfort, in ANY way, and I know that would make me a useless trainer, by any standards.

Here's a random question on that topic : It seems nobody trains the soi dogs, yet - apart from the occasional maniacally barking & sometimes frightening renegade - they seem mostly placid and well behaved (I know one still needs to tread with caution around them). Is that because they are well fed ? "Bad" ones removed ? Or what ?

Anyway, cheers to Bambi who is going to lead Thailand to better understanding of animal behaviour :D.

Edited by spectrum

Go for it, BambinA!

Do that Toefl test. You want help editing your "statement of purpose" I will do it for you. I'm sure other esteemed posters would be glad to help in any way that would guarantee your admission.

Quite frankly, you have way more guts than I do. You post here on TV in better English than some of the native speakers, you help folks with their pets, etc, and everybody loves you.

You start your mission and there will be friends to help, if you want.

BambinA - Yes keep your pecker up or whatever you girls call it. Seriously I have read many of your posts and have enjoyed the frivilous and serious sides that you so elegantly present. For the many enjoyable posts and advice you have provided for others I would suggest there will be many a genuine TV member (closer to home than KK) who would be happy to assist a damsel in distress. (come on guys & gals rally around a TV member who would appreciate some kind thoughts & deeds at this particular milestone in her search for happiness.

I am sure with some intensive coaching not just on some of your rough (english) edges but more importantly examination technique - then re-sit that Toefl and blow them away baby.(PB this could be your crowning moment)(come on IJWT where are you?) -

PS. If ever my Thai should reach a similar level to your "Command of English" I would be happy to walk (stalk) around with my pecker held high. :o

There is no animal behaviourist in Thailand.And I know I have to study from procaryote, a single cell 's behaviour as protozoa to eucaryote.

Maybe not an animal behaviorist. Personally I find that a big word. As I've mentioned before, there are so many different animals with so many diffrent behaviors, you need at least three life times to be able to study them all.

There are certainly dog behaviorists in Thailand. I'm pretty sure, as I'm one. And, so far I know, there's another one in BKK.

I can stand no more with some vets and clients who want to solve the problem of massive barking dogs by ventricular cordectomy (debarking). Or people who want to solve the problem of aggressive dogs by extracting all 4 canines or cutting one third of canine. I think it is not the right way. We had better find out the origin cause.And it is behaviour problem.

I completely agree with this. These methods are very abusive to the dog. I do not understand that people, who claim they love and care for dogs, do such very inhumane things to the animals. There is NO justefiable reason for that, as there can ALWAYS a solution be found ...with a little effort.

ps, I feel bad with my family's dog.I was 10 years old that time.Now i know she dead and suffered from heartworm disease.I wish i was a vet that time.

That's the learning experiences we need in life to be able to grow. I've had still have cases in my kennel, that even the vet hasn't had in their clinic (or hasn't a clue about the cause).

For example, when GSD was 13 months old, he suddenly started walking in tight circles as if he suffered brain damage. It wasn't. The vet could only bring it back to damage in his inner ear, but how it occurred he couldn't say. It was certain it could not be the eardrops (bought at the same clinic) I've put just a day or two before in his ears, as he was itching and had some discharge but not much. He did/does suffer permanent damage of what happen then (his mussles in his eyes are partly paralyzed, and as a result he can't put his pupils in normal position and can't look down, making that he always looks up (in the sun) and he suffers ataxia.

I ALWAYS had in the back of my mind "What happened?". Just 2 or 3 weeks ago I got the answer. The eardrops contain gentamycin. And my dog is one of the exceptions that suffered a side-effect of this med. It describes EXACTLY the symptoms and the damage. And sure enough, this influences his behavior as well.

I really hope for you that you can do your study and that you will have a wonderfull time in Holland. Wish you all the luck in the world :o

Nienke

I don't wish to send this thread veering off topic, but I am very surprised to read these comments :o . I googled & found something about a court case which ensued from some of Cesar's workers possibly using a choke collar on a dog & forcing him onto a treadmill, plus this http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageSer...s_dog_whisperer . Hmmm. Not sure what to think about it all - perhaps one could argue that dogs can be rough & sometimes a little roughness is needed in return ? When is the line into abusiveness crossed ? I cannot bear to see animals suffer, even discomfort, in ANY way, and I know that would make me a useless trainer, by any standards.

Here's a random question on that topic : It seems nobody trains the soi dogs, yet - apart from the occasional maniacally barking & sometimes frightening renegade - they seem mostly placid and well behaved (I know one still needs to tread with caution around them). Is that because they are well fed ? "Bad" ones removed ? Or what ?

Anyway, cheers to Bambi who is going to lead Thailand to better understanding of animal behaviour :D.

There are highly effective, efficient and safe training and behavior modification techniques that can modify dogs' (aggressive or feaful) behavior. There is no need for aversive and abusive techniques.

His show carries a disclaimer indicating that the viewer should not attempt to replicate Cesar Millan's techniques. My first reaction is then: " If you should not replicate his techniques (becasue it's too bl**** dangerous), what then is the whole show about? What's it's use of it?" Plus, that children often don't understand such disclaimers and unsupervised may very well copy Millan's techniques. Very very dangerous!!!!

Cesar Millan doesn't only work with choke collar, he also works with the pinch collar and the electrical collar. One can hardly say that's a humane way of training dogs.

There is a growing dismay in the (top) dog behaviorist world, all around the world, on Millan's techniques.

Nienke

For example, when GSD was 13 months old, he suddenly started walking in tight circles as if he suffered brain damage. It wasn't. The vet could only bring it back to damage in his inner ear, but how it occurred he couldn't say. It was certain it could not be the eardrops (bought at the same clinic) I've put just a day or two before in his ears, as he was itching and had some discharge but not much. He did/does suffer permanent damage of what happen then (his mussles in his eyes are partly paralyzed, and as a result he can't put his pupils in normal position and can't look down, making that he always looks up (in the sun) and he suffers ataxia.

I ALWAYS had in the back of my mind "What happened?". Just 2 or 3 weeks ago I got the answer. The eardrops contain gentamycin. And my dog is one of the exceptions that suffered a side-effect of this med. It describes EXACTLY the symptoms and the damage. And sure enough, this influences his behavior as well.

Nienke

Blimey, that should be ... HE (the vet) was certain .....

Bambina--Here are some of my thoughts on the subject of your post that hopefully will help and inspire you in your quest to improve your English and continue your higher education.

I think it is highly unlikely that someone will learn to understand and speak English really fluently unless they spend time living in an English speaking country. I personally consider someone really fluent in English if they can speak both business and street English in an almost flawless manner. I believe that the main reason it is difficult to become really fluent in English is due to the multitude of idioms, phrasal verbs, and slang expressions that are used in common everyday English.

I have learned a great deal about the process of learning English fluently because my Thai wife came to live with me in the USA a little over a year ago. My Thai wife had a Masters Degree in Biology from a University where the courses were in English so obviously she could speak business English fairly well before she arrived here but had some difficulty with everyday street English. There is a big difference however, between speaking English fairly well and being totally fluent in English and able to speak like a native. During this past year in the US, she has spent about two hours a day taking college level English classes. In addition, when we are at home, I correct her English everytime she makes even the slightest error (she has agreed to have me do this ! ). The results after one year are that she can speak English almost as well as a native speaker. I would guess that by the end of this year, her English would be considered good enough for her to teach English at the college level. The most amazing aspect is that she speaks English without a Thai accent and we cannot figure out why since she grew up speaking only Thai until she reached college.

I have read many of your posts and think that you definitely have the intelligence and ability to improve your English enough to meet the requirements that are necessary to meet the qualification to further your higher education. I personally have relegated myself to only learning a few Thai expression since I do not have the time or motivation to really learn Thai which I consider one of the most difficult languages to learn.

I have a tremendous respect for vets as I am someone who loves animals. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress you are making in improving your English.

Edited by jetjock

Bambina, you have received a lot of great advice in this thread. The only thing I can tell you is to figure out what you want to do and then don't let anything get in your way. You could not have received degrees in several specialties from a university such as Chula without being very, very smart and having great perseverance. It doesn't matter whether this time your challenge is in another country and in another language. Just set your mind to do it and you will, just as you have done before.

• 1 month later...

Dear P Bam

I dont know how I missed this thread....so am very late in responding...and I see that lots of very good advice as well as practical help have been offered. So I wont have much more to add, except a little tip on how I first started to learn English......of course this was many years ago...but I still think it helped a lot.

Certainly the tips about practice and reading are very good, but in the beginning reading can be quite hard......you have to find something that interests you enough, yet is at a level you can understand. this combination doesnt always come in one book :D

My Mom bought be a dictionary at the time...I think its called Oxford Learner's Dictionary. That was my secret to learning the language :o It provides English to Thai translation, followed by English translation AND followed by a sentence where the word is used....this gives the user an idea in what context the word can be used.

of course all the other advice applies too....but am hoping the secret of my success (if I may call it that?) can be shared with you.......

one warning kha....without wanting to discourage you...IELTS score of 6 the first time you give the test is ALREADY very good....most thai students get either 5 or 5.5 the first time they appear....but back to my warning...even though the entry requirement may say 6 or 6.5 ... and you do have that score, most time when you go to the course you will still struggle....so its better to spend some more time here to improve your english a bit more...then go do the course ka....otherwise you will be at disadvantage to your fellow students and will suffer. another option is study/practice/improve English some more in thailand..then go overseas for a short English language course BEFORE continuing with your master degree ka. Many schools/colleges in the UK offer such courses (and other countries like Aus...but UK would be nearer for you....I dont know about the scandinavian countries...some may have them too). This option will help not only improve your english, but also your confidence to use it kha.

If there is something else I can share with you please let me know na kha....either here or PM will do

(PS. I had some experience giving advice to thai students that want to study abroad for sometime...most were students that want to do postgraduate studies)

Good luck ka....I can see that you are very smart, and when someone like you know what you want to do..and set out on your course....you will do very well. even if sometime it takes slightly longer in the beginning.

big hug kha...

yours,

Nong MiGgy

PS. I think I left out one word :D...it might be called Oxford English Learner's Dictionary

Edited by MiG16

Bambino dont feel bad about your ielts score, i am a native speaker that took classes here and had to take ielts to get out of english 1-4....i scored 6.5 the first time and 7.5 the second time i took it....yes you can take it as many times as you want , but you have to observe the time frame.

the ielts test is a SCAM they use a english/scottish-cogney accent for the comprehension part of the exam....and anyone who knows what a cogny accent is, knows that it is one of the worst examples of the english language on this planet.....

the ielts test is intentionally designed to make people fail.

when you take it again, simply state that it is the second time you are taking it, and that you need a 7.5...and they will help you out.

i took it at silom and they intentionally turned the air conditioning on to its maximum setting so people could not concentrate....

Edited by Clipped

• 2 months later...

So what's the point of choosing to go to a university in the Netherlands if you want to gain better English skills? Would it not be better to attend a university in an English speaking country, therefore gaining greater exposure to the language?