Tourist visa, 60 day, and driving?

Spaniel

Our son arrived from the USA last month and has completed the quarantine and is now staying with us.  He arrived on his US passport.  His Thai driving license has expired so can he drive here legally using his US license?

Yes, as per the international driving treaties and Thai regulations, he can drive on his US licence, although technically not required, some police, insurance companies etc may want too see an accompanying IDP International Driving Permit (a translation of the US licence).

DLTs will allow a fair bit of leeway renewing an expired license.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, as per the international driving treaties and Thai regulations, he can drive on his US licence

It may not be as straightforward as that if any enquiries were made by police as he would obviously be Thai.   

In some countries, UK for instance, a citizen with a licence issued in their own country has to use (and produce, if asked) that licence even if they have a licence from a different country.     If that applies here, he could be seen as driving on an invalid (expired) Thai licence even though he has a valid US licence.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 10:52 PM, Peterw42 said:

Yes, as per the international driving treaties and Thai regulations, he can drive on his US licence, although technically not required, some police, insurance companies etc may want too see an accompanying IDP International Driving Permit (a translation of the US licence).

DLTs will allow a fair bit of leeway renewing an expired license.

Are you saying a USA license is fine to use in LOS?  Mine is for car and motorcycle but thai cops always say NO..so I got a international one...or link to the "treaty"..?

37 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Are you saying a USA license is fine to use in LOS?  Mine is for car and motorcycle but thai cops always say NO..so I got a international one...or link to the "treaty"..?

As above, technically a US license is fine (as per motor vehicle act below) but some police may insist on an accompanying IDP (an IDP is not a license its a translation of your licence). There is no such thing as an international license.

Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

As above, technically a US license is fine (as per motor vehicle act below) but some police may insist on an accompanying IDP (an IDP is not a license its a translation of your licence). There is no such thing as an international license.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Section 42-2

Hmmm never knew this...Tho I do have my IDP....cost me $20 at AAA...easy peasy