What is the most common word for doorbell?

EricTh

I looked at some shops and กระดิ่ง or กระดิ่งประตู (gradìng bprà-dtoo) literally "bell door" looks promising.

กริ่ง or กระดิ่ง? Roll the dice :>)

Advantage กระดิ่ง. Guess easier to pronounce for Thai people.

Edited by KhunBENQ

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I looked at some shops and กระดิ่ง or กระดิ่งประตู (gradìng bprà-dtoo) literally "bell door" looks promising.

กริ่ง or กระดิ่ง? Roll the dice :>)

Advantage กระดิ่ง. Guess easier to pronounce for Thai people.

The formal written words are usually Sanskrit words. I doubt it's what the Thai people speak colloquially.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, EricTh said:

The formal written words are usually Sanskrit words. I doubt it's what the Thai people speak colloquially.

My girlfriend and the cleaning ladies in my building all use กระดิ่ง.       กระดิ่งประตู if you feel the need to be specific. Not sure how much more colloquial you can get than that. Depending on the actual sound of the bell, some use กริ่ง...but that's normally the bell on a bicycle. None of them ever heard of กิ่ง so not sure where you came up with that. Maybe it's a lazy pronunciation of กริ่ง. If you come up with something better after asking some Thai people yourself, please get back to us since we took the time to answer your question.

20 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

My girlfriend and the cleaning ladies in my building all use กระดิ่ง.       กระดิ่งประตู if you feel the need to be specific. Not sure how much more colloquial you can get than that. Depending on the actual sound of the bell, some use กริ่ง...but that's normally the bell on a bicycle. None of them ever heard of กิ่ง so not sure where you came up with that. Maybe it's a lazy pronunciation of กริ่ง. If you come up with something better after asking some Thai people yourself, please get back to us since we took the time to answer your question.

OK. Maybe I will use the word 'krading pratu' instead the next time and see the reaction.

I always thought it was a Sanskrit word like 'Khun' which common Thai don't use except for language teachers.

Edited by EricTh