Pickup hasn't been started in nearly two years

TrevorC

The oil, fluids and fuel will be fine, but put fresh oil in anyway. What you will likely have problems with is wildlife is likely to have chewed through cables, and if you didn't take the wheels off your types will probably not be roadworthy. The rotors will also be rusted up.

A long time ago we parked up a Honda City for 3 years, took the wheels off to preserve the tyres, stuffed some iron wool up the exhaust pipe, sealed up all the doors and cracks with tape. When we came to start, it fired up immediately, but the rats had got in and eaten up the wiring looms and made a home in the ventilation system.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

I used to lay up an old Ford for anything up to a year on a property where I went hunting in Western NSW. I'd pour a bottle of methylated spirit into the fuel tank to take up any water that had accumulated. Brought the battery with me, never left it with the car. Take off the air cleaner, turn it over while spraying ether into the carby throat.

Started every time.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TrevorC said:

Thanks all for the pointers. The tyres were due for replacement anyhow, I'm pleased I didn't get around to that before we left.  I will update on the wildlife findings.

I don't want to scare you, but it also depending where you live.

When you live near by the sea, like Pattaya or something like that, realize the salt air can cause corrosion.

Long time ago i owns a boat in Phuket and at overhaul at the fuel pump i saw corrosion in each cilinder of the pump.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

If i hear your to do list i think it's better to buy a new car 555555 just kidding your list is a bit long but for sure the best way to do it properly and have your car live the longest IMO . 

You might also consider a full respray -- LOL

Appreciate you are just looking for things you may not consider yourself.

Impossible to say what may be required without knowing the condition/service history/mileage of the vehicle. 

It's a diesel and a truck. Therefore, unless it was unroadworthy [by Western standards] when you left it it will be fine with minimal effort now. Trucks are built to be abused and the manufacturers know they will surely be abused in Thailand! Tyres, you've already covered. Comments on 'VERMIN' is number one on the list -- those little furry buggers get everywhere and will eat anything when hungry -- not hard to track down -- if you have aircon make sure to check the interior filter. Brakes, not mentioned yet in posts, there will be surface rust on the front brake discs -- drive slowly and use brakes lightly for the first few KM's and then get them cleaned when you get the tyres changed. If the battery is a good make it could well be fine -- get it tested at a battery place if it's sluggish. If you need a replacement I would suggest Amaron -- made in India and stands up well to the climate here. That's all I would be concerned about but I do have experience.

As usual in Thailand -- no warrany available with these suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caspersfriend said:

You might also consider a full respray -- LOL

Appreciate you are just looking for things you may not consider yourself.

Impossible to say what may be required without knowing the condition/service history/mileage of the vehicle. 

It's a diesel and a truck. Therefore, unless it was unroadworthy [by Western standards] when you left it it will be fine with minimal effort now. Trucks are built to be abused and the manufacturers know they will surely be abused in Thailand! Tyres, you've already covered. Comments on 'VERMIN' is number one on the list -- those little furry buggers get everywhere and will eat anything when hungry -- not hard to track down -- if you have aircon make sure to check the interior filter. Brakes, not mentioned yet in posts, there will be surface rust on the front brake discs -- drive slowly and use brakes lightly for the first few KM's and then get them cleaned when you get the tyres changed. If the battery is a good make it could well be fine -- get it tested at a battery place if it's sluggish. If you need a replacement I would suggest Amaron -- made in India and stands up well to the climate here. That's all I would be concerned about but I do have experience.

As usual in Thailand -- no warrany available with these suggestions.

Waranty untill the door of the garage . 

Whole lot of hogwash posted here.

It has not even been 2 years. My HD sat in a steel container for almost 7 years, full of 95 gasahol. I drained the fuel tank, filled it with fresh gas, installed a new battery - VROOM !

No drain and flush the fuel tank - 555 - no change fuel filters, no change oil (done before stored)

Just stick a battery in it, check the oil and coolant is OK (don't use plain water), fire it up.

As said a few slight brake applications will remove rust from the rotors.

Drive it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Most important thing to do is empty the diesel tank and flush the system clean.

Diesel becomes contaminated with microbes after sitting for along time, also change all the fuel filters in the line from tank to engine, diesel sludge can build up, also remove the injectors and blow through with clean fuel.

Remove old engine oil/filters and refill with new oil.

Change water from radiator and add fresh clean fluids.

On start-up let it idle until full temp is reached, do not rev the engine or drive.. check all gaskets, seals etc that they have not become hard and starting to leak.

Before driving if automatic transmission, remain at idle, foot on brake and handbrake applied slowly shift into each drive position and allow the transmission oil to circulate.

If all seems well, slowly move the car and check brakes are not stuck/sticking, go for a slow drive around the block, check water temp gauge to ensure no overheating issues due to blockages.

Spot on especially the microbes have had that issue on several diesels over the years change the oils I personally wouldent change coolant nor pull the injectors I’d certainly make sure it turns over freely bleed the system light it off and pray the seals dident dry out and fail and for gods sake stay away from that starting fluid if possible it’s really hard on your engine good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

A long time ago we parked up a Honda City for 3 years, took the wheels off to preserve the tyres, stuffed some iron wool up the exhaust pipe, sealed up all the doors and cracks with tape.

3 years is a long time for tape to be stuck on doors without damaging the paint when peeling it off. Curious to know what type of tape was used?

• 2 weeks later...

After charging the battery, checking fluid levels, etc. I would disconnect the stop solenoid then spin the engine over on the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. Reconnect the solenoid and start her up. DO NOT rev it until the oil has warmed up. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/stp-diesel-fuel-treatment-236-i399740576-s776598574.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/6-furio-ultra-hd-diesel-fuel-additive-200-ml-i1760854682-s5101820580.html

Plan on buying a new battery and new tires.  If you're not in a hurry, I'd also drain and refill the fuel, but you may get by with some additive if it was left completely full with no room for condensation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 3:16 PM, TrevorC said:

UPDATE - Well thanks for the advice all of which was carefully considered.

In the event, finding containers, syphoning off 70 litres of diesel, in a condo car park didn't appeal to  me. I  had to charge battery, charged it all day, left it off the charger overnight, tested again and it had held most of the charge. Connected it up. Checked for obvious signs of vermin habitation, couldn't find any, possibly because it is condo parking, walled all around and people come and go all the time. Turned on the ignition and left for a minute before trying to start. Fired up first turn. I did observe all the other advice about no high revs until warm, applying brakes slowly and often on a 5km trip around the block. Tyres were a bit "square" but no worse then they have been after a six month layup. New tyres and a full service due next week. Wish I could find a car wash that is open!

Thanks all. 

You have read here that some really do worry too much.....????

There are some good vids on YouTube where they find forgotten rides asleep in lock ups for decades, and they start after a few fixes....????

• Like 2