Receiving letters / parcels from UK to Thailand

RandolphGB

A relative is sending a small package, big enough for a letter box, of some bundled together mail I received in the UK.

The customs value is negligible and the items are not restricted. Weight is also negligible. 

Will this be handed straight to Thailand Post for delivery as normal with the post, or will it be held for collection from the customs office?

Anybody have experience of receiving from UK / international?

20 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Will this be handed straight to Thailand Post for delivery as normal with the post, or will it be held for collection from the customs office?

It'll be delivered by Thai Post...the only time stuff disappears off to customs is when it's over 1,500 Baht in value (but Thai Post will deliver a letter telling you how much and which post office is holding it) 

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

It'll be delivered by Thai Post...the only time stuff disappears off to customs is when it's over 1,500 Baht in value (but Thai Post will deliver a letter telling you how much and which post office is holding it) 

Agree. One parcel from U.K. ฿1,400 in value delivered direct. Another from U.K. ฿2,000 in value has to collect from a central post office in Chiang Mai and pay 40% customs duty. 

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Just send it EMS Track and Trace via UK Post Office

I agree, if there's anything you're likely to need in the near future. I can only speak of the Thai Post Office locally, but their standard deliveries have become increasingly erratic and delayed in the last couple of years. This week they made their first delivery for 3 months - 7 letters from the UK dating back to April, plus a few Thai circulars. I suppose I could go up to the Post Office and ask them to look for any mail, but I can't be bothered. EMS does get delivered promptly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

It has been said many times, and proven to be the case often that the main issue is the "last mile" ie. the postie. To overcome this it is recommended you get a PO Box, 500bht a year and the problem disappears. Go get it or check it etc whenever its convenient and you by pass "the last mile" aspect. NEVER heard reported any issues using this method. Have done so myself for 15 years.

I'm sure you're right. It's never been quite important enough for me to bother with that, but I admit that I do get a bit windy when there's a buzz on here about people receiving/not receiving life certificates for their pensions.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:28 AM, Andycoops said:

I had a letter from the GRO, UK arrive last week, government franked and took 4 weeks.

Typical of the cheapskate government back in the UK, I'm afraid. State Pension life certificates also take that long as a minimum to get to destinations in this part of the world (and some never even make it to their recipients, who usually only find out that a witnessed certificate is outstanding in their case when their State Pension payments are summarily stopped by DWP). I gather that all correspondence sent by UK government departments to this part of the world is usually routed via obscure mailing houses located in some mainland European country or other so as to keep costs down, but with consequentially longer delivery times. Did the envelope containing your GRO correspondence include any indication (in the form of a sticker or stamp) to the effect that it had been sent via one of these "off-the-beaten-track" mailing houses? 

Edited by OJAS

On 7/15/2021 at 9:16 PM, Geordieabroad said:

I get medication posted from the UK every 90 days by a mate over there. The last batch was posted in UK on 5th July and i received at home in Thailand on 13th July.

Been here for just over 5 years and never had a problem

My daughter splits the packages one arrived this morning posted on the 14th the other still at laski should get it in a couple of days 15 yrs no problem,except when my brother sent a parcel by courier,never do it ,i let them keep it in the end ,just could not be bothered