Singapore cruise ship turns back amid COVID scare

ASEAN NOW News

Singapore's tourism board said on Wednesday a ship operated by Genting Cruise Lines on a so-called cruise to nowhere has returned to the city-state after a passenger was suspected of having contracted COVID-19, and remaining guests were asked to stay in their cabins. 

2021-07-14T064624Z_1_LYNXMPEH6D07L_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SINGAPORE-CRUISESHIP.thumb.JPG.e416e3e885e10e26722d7d0ecfd85923.JPG

A cruise ship is docked at harbour after turning back due to positive coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case on board, in Singapore 

A Singapore cruise liner returned to its port after a passenger was suspected to have COVID-19.

That is according to Singapore’ tourism board on Wednesday, which added the 40-year-old passenger tested positive onboard the Genting-operated cruise ship, despite testing negative prior to the trip, as required in pre-departure.

The ship was a so-called 'cruise to nowhere'.

Meanwhile, the nearly 3,000 guests and crew were asked to stay in their cabins and all on-board leisure activities were suspended.

Passengers were asked to stay in their cabins until test results and contact tracing was complete.

Genting did not immediately comment.

Singapore, which has seen relatively few COVID-19 cases, last year began allowing a limited number of luxury liners to operate, but the global industry has taken a major hit amid the pandemic, with some of the earliest outbreaks found on cruise ships.

This latest issue will be bad news for the cruise industry, that is already taking on board huge losses.

2 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Anyone booking a place on cruise ship needs his head seeing to. Like prisons, cruise ships are petrie dishes for infections.

And aircraft aren’t?

2 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Anyone booking a place on cruise ship needs his head seeing to. Like prisons, cruise ships are petri dishes for infections.

I used to work for Royal Caribbean and am a Captain's Club member. While I LOVE and MISS them, no way in HELL would I cruise with them. I exercise and eat well cuz some day I want to return. Fingers crossed . . .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Anyone booking a place on cruise ship needs his head seeing to. Like prisons, cruise ships are petrie dishes for infections.

I leave mental health consults to those trained such things. I avoid cruise ships, prisons and those who seemingly know more of less.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...