DO NOT use AXA Sawasdee insurance for sandbox

Axa confirmed to me by email, that their rather expensive AXA Sawasdee insurance does not cover involuntary quarantine for the Phuket sandbox. This is in contrast to the free insurance provided by Emirates to passengers for example.

So if Thai authorities put you in ALQ since you were sitting too close to a positive case on the plane in their opinion, AXA pays nothing. All costs are to be paid by yourself.

You might as well get a cheap insurance instead. Most (much, much cheaper) insurers from one's home country wouldn't cover this unexpected Thai quarantine either, since there is no medical justification. I naively thought, reputable insurance companies in Thailand for tourists cover this very Thai risk. AXA Thailand doesn't.

The cheaper ones from the Thai insurance aassociation probably don't cover this either, but at least they're only about half the cost of the AXA Covid insurance:

https://covid19.tgia.org/

So the AXA insurance is way more expensive, but just as useless for the sandbox.

Does anyone know if there are insurers other than Emirates that cover Thai quarantine risk for the sandbox?

Note: See also

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robs5ct said:

As far as I understand Emirates "Multi-risk insurance" they just pay - like all other insurances - only if you are detected positive. If you go to quarantine without being tested positive you pay by yourself.

Based on the (full) article on Phuket News they do:

"I was lucky to be flying with Emirates which includes such an insurance, but not everyone is coming with this airline."

Unfortunately I can't use Emirates, they don't fly to Phuket from my location.

Edited by pentagara

7 minutes ago, pentagara said:

"I was lucky to be flying with Emirates which includes such an insurance, but not everyone is coming with this airline."

Unfortunately I can't use Emirates, they don't fly to Phuket from my location, only to Bangkok.

Maybe she just thinks she's covered ?

I guess she will not get any money from Emirates and I think there's no insurance covering a quarantine for free or small money.

2021-07-16_12-25-54.png

Edited by Robs5ct
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Robs5ct said:

Maybe she just thinks she's covered ?

I guess she will not get any money from Emirates and I think there's no insurance covering a quarantine for free or small money.

2021-07-16_12-25-54.png

Some US insurers seem to cover unexpected quarantine (Crum & Forster Safe Travels International Coat Saver) also for Non-Residents. Getting insurance from a third country might be have unexpected complications though. The Thai embassy might not to accept it.

The policy wording does not require a positive Covid test for quarantine coverage though:

https://www.insubuy.com/covid19-travel-insurance-with-quarantine-coverage/

"“Quarantine” means Your strict isolation imposed by a Government authority or Physician to prevent the  
spread of disease. "

Plus the price is a fraction of the Thai insurances.

Anyone else know an insurance that would make sense for the sandbox?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pentagara said:

Unfortunately I can't use Emirates, they don't fly to Phuket from my location.

no but they do from Dubai, and to lots of other countries

8 minutes ago, pentagara said:

Axa confirmed to me by email, that their rather expensive AXA Sawasdee insurance does not cover involuntary quarantine for the Phuket sandbox.

So it's a policy condition/exclusion that you accept when taking the policy, yes?    Or, are you saying that AXA claims to cover that "involuntary" quarantine but refuses it when a claim is made?

The phuket sandbox victim thinks she is covered thats all she said, I very much doubt she is though. Let's await confirmation, its difficult to imagine any underwriter approving the expense of this ridiculous scheme - if even the stupidly high price domestic originated insurance is declining it then that says something.