Pure UV water filters?

clivebaxter

Anyone got one and do you think the UV lamp is really needed? quite expensive to replace, more than the 3 filters combined. Mechanic says he and a lot of the customers just don't bother with it. Mrs is convinced you need it to kill germs, but is has 3 filters already which got replaced, lamp did not. Also the transformer (adapter) the lamp is powered by never seem to last long, that's broke as well.

uv.png

46 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Most water supplies have already been treated for "germs" or it's not an issue. So UV is mostly a marketing gimic and superfluous.

Get your water tested if you worry about germs. 

I agree but you know some women here have ideas and nothing will shift them, water seems ok and house only 9 years old. Think I will leave it as is, lamps are almost 2k

I think it is added protection, but not got any scientific data here. 

I know that for the fish I have the UV light eliminated algae and helped clean up the water, so it must kill germs.

I suppose it depends on where you live (farming area) and prevalence of septic tank water. I use only bore water.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Anyone got one and do you think the UV lamp is really needed? quite expensive to replace, more than the 3 filters combined. Mechanic says he and a lot of the customers just don't bother with it. Mrs is convinced you need it to kill germs, but is has 3 filters already which got replaced, lamp did not. Also the transformer (adapter) the lamp is powered by never seem to last long, that's broke as well.

I don’t have a water treatment unit but the UV C the light emmitts is extremely effective in killing bacteria and destroying viruses. 
I have and use UV C lights for exactly that. They are widely used in hotels and some hospitals along with ozone generation units for sterilisation. 

Do not be tempted to expose yourself to them as they cause very nasty sunburn and can blind you. 

Your Mrs is completely correctly correct. (She is always correct even when she is wrong ???? )

• Like 1