Vaccinations for ex-pats

Tony M

Some of us have been able to get appointments for vaccination at MedPark Hospital, Bangkok in the next few weeks.  Many of us have contacted the hospital to try to find out what vaccine we will be receiving. MedPark say that they don't know, and that seems strange, as they are making appointments without knowing what vaccine will be available ?  Hospital(s) in Hua Hin have announced that their vaccination program will be "first shot Sinovac, second shot AZ 3-4 weeks later". Some of us might be persuaded to go this route, but some of us are also keeping in mind that Sinovac on a vaccination certificate might not be acceptable for international travel.

Many of us will be making long journeys to Bangkok (without the possibility of inter-provincial pubic transport), and some may have to overnight in Bangkok. This could be a nugatory journey if we only find out, on the day, that we will be given double-doses of the Sinovac vaccine that we don't want. 

My question is, can you (as an interested or concerned entity) contact MedPark Hospital on behalf of British citizens, in order to try to ascertain what vaccine(s) will be used ?   You may have more "clout" than individual enquirers.

sinovac.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tony M said:

some of us are also keeping in mind that Sinovac on a vaccination certificate might not be acceptable for international travel.

I guess it probably won't be, but I saw stories in the UK papers a few days ago of Brit expats complaining that their AstraZeneca doses administered outside the UK weren't acceptable to avoid quarantine. With Sinovac you might not even get on the plane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I guess it probably won't be, but I saw stories in the UK papers a few days ago of Brit expats complaining that their AstraZeneca doses administered outside the UK weren't acceptable to avoid quarantine. With Sinovac you might not even get on the plane.

But the Thai govt is telling us that one dose of each is the way to go ????  Surely they wouldn't lie to us ?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I think your input refers to the 'spat' btween the UK and the EU.   The European Medical Agency has not, as yet, approved the AZ vaccine produced by the Serum Institute of India, consequently EU countries are unable to acknowledge the vaccine.    The UK argues that all AZ vaccine wherever it is produced, is no different.

Edited by Havenstreet1940
Text
  • Like 1

Had an inkling this would happen, they're over-ordered sinovac and way under-ordered all the preferred vaccines. The Thai people are not so stupid, they've read and heard about the low efficacy of sinovac. They want the "good" vaccines like Pfizer and Modera. There's been recent photos from Pattaya & Bangkok of protesting Thais waving signs saying NO SINOVAC.

So it's looking like the gov got a lot of sinovac on their hands that they're find hard to distribute. Solution? Give it to the foreigners.

Today's adventure.

The latest Intervac notice says to contact the hospitals on the updated list.  Which I did.  I contacted Samitivej Hopsital in Bangkok, to ask if I can pre-register for vaccinations. Their response was :

Greetings from Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.

We do confirm that we are now open for pre-registration of free government vaccination. It must be done on site at 1st Floor, Building 1 Front Lobby near the spiral staircase from 08:30 to 16:00. The patient must bring their valid passport or 13 digit Social Security Number for the process.

Thank you.

In view of the current restrictions on inter-provincial travel, the possible risk(s) involved in going to Bangkok (I live in Jomtien), I asked the hospital if it is really necessary to travel to Bangkok to show my passport.  Their response, just received :

We sincerely regret to inform you that this is the new pre-registration policy. You may also contact Samitivej Sriracha Hospital to check their opening or visit the link below to check for updates of the vaccination center list near you.

http://www.thailandintervac.com/

We apologize for the inconvenience. 

I can't think of any reason why this can be either necessary or justified.  

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

As an indication of the priorities of the Foreign Office, I've just been watching a Sky News report that the British Embassy dished out flags in support of a Gay Pride rally in Budapest. Well done, chaps, that's vital work, keep it up!

Actually it is vital work in view of Orban's repression of LGBT rights.I'm proud that the UK together with the EU is giving strong support to LGBT rights in Hungary.

The situation is very different in Thailand where, though not perfect, LGBT rights are generally respected and a spirit of tolerance is deeply embedded.I have no idea why the British Embassy has devoted so much of its resources in this area over the last few years, judging by its public utterances.What is the point? It comes over even to sympathetic observers as self indulgent virtue signalling.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

As an indication of the priorities of the Foreign Office, I've just been watching a Sky News report that the British Embassy dished out flags in support of a Gay Pride rally in Budapest. Well done, chaps, that's vital work, keep it up!

The old Embassy building in Budapest was a wonderful building, with a great history. I went there for a conference ( and a few days of official drinking) many years ago. I think they have since moved to some faceless building in a different part of Budapest. What flags did they dish out ?  Union flags or rainbow flags ?

9 hours ago, Tony M said:

The old Embassy building in Budapest was a wonderful building, with a great history. I went there for a conference ( and a few days of official drinking) many years ago. I think they have since moved to some faceless building in a different part of Budapest.

Like Budapest, like Bangkok, then, judging by the sound of things! Did you ever indulge in a few days of official drinking under the pretext of attending a conference at the old Wireless Road building?????

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Like Budapest, like Bangkok, then, judging by the sound of things! Did you ever indulge in a few days of official drinking under the pretext of attending a conference at the old Wireless Road building?????

No, but I did watch one world cup in the bar in Wireless Road. I wonder if they have a bar in the new "Embassy" ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 9:38 PM, collsey said:

I have an appointment at Med Park hospital on 14th August. I don't now when the first appointments start, but ,we must be able to find out from the hospital, just before that date, surely ?? 

Didn't they send you a mail to confirm date and time?

21 minutes ago, Misab said:

but did you get a mail? because I have booked a date and time, and it said: "you will receive a mail confirming,"  but I never did.

Yes, I got an email with an appointment.   Then I got another email saying that I could walk - in at any time during a 7-day period. So, I have an "open" appointment.  If you send them an email, they usually reply quite quickly.

13 hours ago, Tony M said:

Yes, I got an email with an appointment.   Then I got another email saying that I could walk - in at any time during a 7-day period. So, I have an "open" appointment.  If you send them an email, they usually reply quite quickly.

Thank you

What do you want me to say ?  Yes....no.  How do I know ?

????   What I meant was, If you have booked for a Pfizer vaccination they dont say sorry, but we on ly have Sinovac left.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:18 PM, Tony M said:

But the Thai govt is telling us that one dose of each is the way to go ????  Surely they wouldn't lie to us ?

Antibodies after sin/az is comparable to az/az. I'm making no consideration to international travel at this time. Once more data comes in the UK maky change its rules to what is considered acceptable, re: where az is made. Surely the stuff is made to the same formula regardless of where it's made. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Misab said:

Med Park.      Can you trust you get the vaccine you book?

Ask to see the vial and the box it came from. Your dose will also have a lot number on it when you get the vaccine certificate. The hospital will give this. It will have a QR code on it and you scan that. You info will come up as recorded at the MoPH with your vaccines you have received and their lot numbers.

Similar experience:

I was navigating the expatvac registration confusion which opened Sunday 1st Aug at 11am when someone stated MedPark were offering Pfizer to over 60’s. Scooted over to their site and booked for Wed 11th at 19.30 hrs ( Prefers Pfizer ).

A few days later I received an email to say ( due to the curfew) I could now go anytime between 08.00 to 17.00 10th to 12th August.

I believe expats who registered for the 13th or after received a similar email stating 08.00 to 17.00 13th to 20th August.

Why they decided to bunch together the registrations I don’t know, hopefully it won’t result in a Bang Sue type overcrowding on the 10th and the 13th.

Likewise, I requested Pfizer but have no knowledge of which vaccine I will actually be offered until I arrive there.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Ask to see the vial and the box it came from. Your dose will also have a lot number on it when you get the vaccine certificate. The hospital will give this. It will have a QR code on it and you scan that. You info will come up as recorded at the MoPH with your vaccines you have received and their lot numbers.

Thank you DavisH