Verstappen's front left wheel hub 

35 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Anyway, on BBC news a clip of the start of Silverstone GP showed flames coming out of Max Verstappen's front left wheel hub

That was the start of the sprint race on Saturday. They were on fire because they were overheating while the car was waiting for the rest of the pack to line up on the grid following the formation lap.

3 minutes ago, JayClay said:

That was the start of the sprint race on Saturday. They were on fire because they were overheating while the car was waiting for the rest of the pack to line up on the grid following the formation lap.

I know brakes get red hot during racing but to shoot flames out while stationary seems just a wee bit dangerous  :shock1:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Somebody tell me what Lewis did wrong in the incident. Looked good to me, as if Maxie ran into him..

I used to be a regular F1 fan back in the days when there were real rivalries between drivers and real accidents that were actually dangerous.

These days its just a bunch of overpaid jolly good chaps having a fun day out.

I'm not advocating death and disaster but Moto Racing, especially F1 is a spectator sport so lets have some more excitement from these overpaid drivers in their cotton wool cockpits.

Perhaps this incident between Lewis and Maxie it the start of getting back to some real racing rivalry.

Edited by Daffy D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

I used to be a regular F1 fan back in the days when there were real rivalries between drivers and real accidents that were actually dangerous.

These days its just a bunch of overpaid jolly good chaps having a fun day out.

I'm not advocating death and disaster but Moto Racing, especially F1 is a spectator sport so lets have some more excitement from these overpaid drivers in their cotton wool cockpits.

Perhaps this incident between Lewis and Maxie it the start of getting back to some real racing rivalry.

Spectator sport.? Watching cars go round and round, seeing them every minute or so but only in the bit of track you can actually see, not knowing what's going on 2 miles away. And as for that Circus called the Starting Line Up, where everyone who thinks they are someone congregates together with 'mechanics' holding umbrellas and hairdryers to cool the driver. 

Rather watch England v Italy.   LOL  555    Sarcastic emoji.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Spectator sport.? Watching cars go round and round, seeing them every minute or so but only in the bit of track you can actually see, not knowing what's going on 2 miles away. And as for that Circus called the Starting Line Up, where everyone who thinks they are someone congregates together with 'mechanics' holding umbrellas and hairdryers to cool the driver. 

Rather watch England v Italy.   LOL  555    Sarcastic emoji.

Exactly. That's why I don't bother watching anymore. 

Anything interesting happens is shown on the sports segment at the end of the BBC News, usually just a couple of seconds. Other sports, Rugby, Tennis, Football and even cycling get more air time than any exiting bit of the days F1.  

As for football, I'm not a fan so any knowledge I have again is from the BBC news section. Some months ago seems a top class footballer joined a new club at a salary of over 600.000 Pounds a week:shock1:

Yet with that kind of money sloshing around the the best of England players can't even win a European cup. No chance for anything world wide. Useless bunch of overpaid pansies. 

• Like 1

Back on topic, brake dust igniting under extreme heat.

Nothing to see here, move along now but Lewis, please don't even think about dropping a wheel on the inside of Copse again or you may not get near to being a 9-time world champion.

Having said that the desperately over-emotional Hamilton tried the same totally unprofessional maneuver while winding in Leclerc in the closing stages but mercifully he bottled out as the likelihood of punting the Ferrari into the same gravel as the Red Bull wouldn't give a good look.

• Like 1

I think the brakes are ceramic and reach stupid temperatures like 1000 degree C occasionally, I also thought that the wheels were tethered to the vehicle unless they have changed that rule.

And how anyone who follows motorsport can say that Sundays race was boring didn't watch it ????