Internet interrupted by incoming calls

Hi,

Let me begin with the fact that this issue is not happening in Thailand.  I'm in Ireland visiting elderly relatives, and their internet gets interrupted for a few minutes every time the phone rings or someone picks up the phone.   

Here's the situation:  There are three phone jacks in the house, two are connected to cordless telephones and the the third is connected to the router.  The router has an ADSL splitter between it and the phone jack (but again there's no phone connected on this splitter). It's just the wire from the router going into the splitter and then into the wall jack.   This has to be at least part of the problem, right?

I've put a phone call into their internet provider, but they don't seem in a rush to get back to me.  

I'm guessing / hoping this is an easy fix, and I'm asking the kind and knowledgeable members of this fine forum for sage advice.  ????

Of course I can provide more information / details if needed.

Thanks.  ????

UCS

Edited by up-country_sinclair

15 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

No.  Should I?  Is that what the problem is?

Probably. Also is the router connected to the master socket. I remember once having problems when it was connected to anything but the master socket.

15 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Don't think he has filters.

7 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

The router has an ADSL splitter between it and the phone jack (but again there's no phone connected on this splitter).

IIRC inside the filter/splitter the router connection is direct wired and there's a filter network to the "phone" port.

I understand that the filter is actually to prevent the ADSL interfering with the phone but the other way round is certainly a possibility.

• Thanks 2

I put a phone jack into the ADSL splitter and the problem remains.

And I have a bit more accurate / specific information:

1. The internet doesn't cut out when the phone rings, but when the phone is answered.  
  2. The internet comes back after 2 minutes, even though the call continues
  3. When the phone is hung up, the internet cuts out again for two minutes.

????

Any ideas?

:wai:

Some of the older cordless phones interfered with wi-fi. Can you check the frequency of the cordless? Is it 2.4 GHz? Maybe a solution is to turn off the 2.4GHz on the wi-fi and only use the 5.0 GHz.

Edited by FarangRimPing

9 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I put a phone jack into the ADSL splitter and the problem remains.

And I have a bit more accurate / specific information:

1. The internet doesn't cut out when the phone rings, but when the phone is answered.  
  2. The internet comes back after 2 minutes, even though the call continues
  3. When the phone is hung up, the internet cuts out again for two minutes.

????

Any ideas?

:wai:

New splitters on every phone point (the ones that break-out a phone connection, not just filter the adsl), if you have an old non-wireless phone, use that for a day or so to see if its a cordless phone issue.

You may want to look for a splitter that is hard wired at the lead in cable point.