Phuket medical staff embark on third vaccine booster drive

webfact

1627103133_1-org.jpg

A medical worker receives his shot. Photo: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Vachira Phuket Hospital yesterday (July 23) embarked on its campaign to administer booster shots of COVID-19 vaccine to its frontline staff.

Dr. Chalermpong Sukontapol, Director of Vachira Phuket Hospital, led the medical team comprising of nurses and medical personnel to receive their third vaccination in an effort to “enhance immunity and build confidence in serving people”.

The start of the booster-shot campaign came after Dr Chalermpong stated on Wednesday (July 21) that around 7,000 medical personnel would receive their additional jab by the end of the week. The vaccine being administered is AstraZeneca.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-medical-staff-embark-on-third-vaccine-booster-drive-80806.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-07-24

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The start of the booster-shot campaign came after Dr Chalermpong stated on Wednesday (July 21) that around 7,000 medical personnel would receive their additional jab by the end of the week. The vaccine being administered is AstraZeneca.

While I whole heartedly condone the use of vaccines to help the medical staff serving the public... one must ask how much will that impact the ongoing roll-out for the rest of the country.

Everything seems at the moment to be targeting mainly Bangkok... many other provinces in need are getting zero supplies.

1 hour ago, mackayae said:

The medical staff in Udon Thani had their 2 shots of SinoVac in June. They received a 3rd shot (AZ) a few weeks ago. I imagine that's typical for the entire country. Also the US donated Pfizer will supposedly be given to medical workers.

Booster number 4. 
Then Moderna shows up - Booster number 5. 

Meanwhile retirees and married expats are will still be shown the end of the line as Thais will now need to go to the front for their boosters too.  Especially in places like Chiang Rai.  Of course there may be another No-Notice Woxine Day for expats in Bangkok which fills up in 15 minutes in order to get rid of old Sinovac shots that are a few hours away from their expiration date.

• Like 1

It is ok that the medical workers get their protection, But it is stupid that Thailand continue with the Sinovac. It will only cost more and more money. Now a booster with Astra, later another one with something else and who knows what the effect will be on mid and long term. I think 3 different jabs can not be good for your body 

I am trying hard to ignore the typical Forum cynicism, cheap shots, and axe grinding, and instead put such aside, and I note the following chart from an ongoing Thai study into mixing vaccines (Sinovac and AstraZeneca).  The Thai language reference is here:  https://mgronline.com/qol/detail/9640000072391

Below is a reduced version of the chart from that article:.

The chart compares:

• Sinovac - full (2 jab) vaccination.
  • Sinovac 1 jab + 2nd jab AstraZeneca.
  • AstraZeneca - 2 jabs.
  • Sinovac 2 jabs + 3rd-booster jab AstraZeneca <<<<<< this gives the best of those of the top 4 points in this bullet list (vaccine jabs) compared.
  • Pfizer two jabs - however the Pfizer data is very very limited so it result is most possibly much much higher for Pfizer than shown in the plot (ie there probably was not point to show such IMHO).
  • Natural infection (resistance) - ie if I understand this correctly, someone who has caught the virus (4 to 8 weeks after catching the virus) - note the spread is very high - ie varies massively from person to person

So I think this helps illustrate why AstraZeneca is considered useful as a booster jab to Medical Workers who have had 2 Sinovac (only) jabs. .... I think this 'ongoing' study is against the delta variant < not sure >

2021-07_thai-study-800w.jpeg

Edited by oldcpu

12 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I am trying hard to ignore the typical Forum cynicism, cheap shots, and axe grinding, and instead put such aside, and I note the following chart from an ongoing Thai study into mixing vaccines (Sinovac and AstraZeneca).  The Thai language reference is here:  https://mgronline.com/qol/detail/9640000072391

Below is a reduced version of the chart from that article:.

The chart compares:

• Sinovac - full (2 jab) vaccination.
  • Sinovac 1 jab + 2nd jab AstraZeneca.
  • AstraZeneca - 2 jabs.
  • Sinovac 2 jabs + 3rd-booster jab AstraZeneca <<<<<< this gives the best of those of the top 4 points in this bullet list (vaccine jabs) compared.
  • Pfizer two jabs - however the Pfizer data is very very limited so it result is most possibly much much higher for Pfizer than shown in the plot (ie there probably was not point to show such IMHO).
  • Natural infection (resistance) - ie if I understand this correctly, someone who has caught the virus (4 to 8 weeks after catching the virus) - note the spread is very high - ie varies massively from person to person

So I think this helps illustrate why AstraZeneca is considered useful as a booster jab to Medical Workers who have had 2 Sinovac (only) jabs. .... I think this 'ongoing' study is against the delta variant < not sure >

2021-07_thai-study-800w.jpeg

Interesting graph, but what exactly is the vertical axis measuring - U/ml of what?

On 7/24/2021 at 12:57 AM, chilly07 said:

So the kitty litter continues to suck in vaccines! Just evacuate the medics pull up the drawbridge and bring an end to this Island of Doctor Moreau!

You sound jealous.  Phuket is opened and the tourists are coming despite all the predictions from the perpetually wrong doom mongers.  I was only half kidding when I said the doom mongers were claiming it was going to be the zombie apocalypse and yet here you trying to do just that. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, charmonman said:

Interesting graph, but what exactly is the vertical axis measuring - U/ml of what?

Off the top of my head .. I suspect units per millimeter of antibodies .. I don't speak Thai so I need to rely on Google Chrome translation for translation

• Thanks 1