My Android phone is running slow – backing up and restoring – its looks like a mine field – can you help please.

My android Motorola phone has become slow , I have removed every thing including apps / photos / games that I do not want . I have moved as many things onto the phones SD card. But the phone still seems generally slow . I have installed an Android app called SD Maid , and used that app to clean out the phone etc , but the phone still seem to be generally running slow .

The phone is running Android Version 6.0.1 ( due to the phones age I can not update to a newer version of Android ) and I don’t really want to buy a new phone. The phone is not Rooted.

Just looking around at the options for backing up and restoring an Android phone seems to be a mine field that a beginner like my self finds daunting.

What I would like to do is to factory reset my phone then reinstall all the same Android apps I have backed up , back onto the now factory reset phone , in the hope doing that reinstall procedure will take my phone back to its once fast and snappy self. 

Can any kind person here offer me advice on how I can back up and reinstall the same apps onto to my factory reset Android phone .

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

The phone is running Android Version 6.0.1

Amazed this thing isn't encased in amber by now. Or on display at the Smithsonian. ????

1.) Back-up all data.

2.) Factory reset.

3.) Buy new phone.

26 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

SD Maid

My favorite "outfit".

Personally, if given this task I would hook up the phone to a  PC, drag and drop all important data (photos, the 'special' stuff, downloads, documents, music, pictures, videos, etc. LINE goodies are in Pictures) to the PC, then I'd do another separate back-up to a different destination, then I'd make sure I had a list of passwords (Chrome has these too), then and only then would I do a factory reset. Then drag everything back. Apps should all reinstall automagically,

<you should be doing this every month or two as part of a back-up plan>

Watch some youtube videos: copy and paste:    backup factory reset restore android

Fairly common topic here, with many third-party app recommendations. Google:    android back up restore site:aseannow.com

35 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

will take my phone back to its once fast and snappy self

Maybe set those expectations a tad lower?

"Sherman, set the way-back machine for 2015."

• Thanks 1

Thanks  , my main reason that I don’t really want to buy another Android phone is because the model I have ( Motorola Moto Z ) is one of the worlds slimmest and lightest mobile phones manufactured by a well known brand.

With its only 5.2mm thickness and the weight of only 136 g ( 4.80 oz ) and screen size of 5.5 inches with a fantastic resolution of 1440 x 2560 pixels , its an absolute joy to use .

Sadly it seems that currently there no other well known brand Android mobile phones that can match the above specifications . If there were I would certainly look at purchasing one right away .

Thanks.

Motorola Moto Z.jpg

So size does matter.

How long does the battery last? If more than 1 hour - assuming normal use - I'd be shocked.

Go here, find your new phone https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

Your specs are outdated so hard to find a similar replacement. Thin phones are cool, and they'd work too if you didn't need a battery.

Running such an old version of Android opens you up to gazillions of security flaws which have since been patched.

Eventually you won't be able to use some applications which require a higher rev. of Android.

Do a full wipe/factory reset, see if it runs faster. If not...

...buy a new phone.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Can any kind person here offer me advice on how I can back up and reinstall the same apps onto to my factory reset Android phone

have a look at an app called "super backup"  with that you can backup apps and contacts to the SD card  do a factory reset then download the app again and restore from the SDcard

renember to backup your photos documents etc too  either to the sd card or to another device/pc or cloud storage.

49 minutes ago, johng said:

you can backup apps and contacts

These, or course, are the two things you DON'T have to back up. Contacts are synced to the Google account, and apps are synced in the Play Store. These will automagically download once you log in.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

These, or course, are the two things you DON'T have to back up. Contacts are synced to the Google account, and apps are synced in the Play Store. These will automagically download once you log in.

This is not my experience. 

Maybe (i doubt it, but i never tried) the Play Store will try to download and install his apps after factory reset. But it will try to download current versions of his apps. Many of his old apps will be discontinued already, of the rest many current versions won't install on Android 6, and the rest will be irrecognizably changed.

He will end up with a useless phone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

He will end up with a useless phone. 

Seems like he's there already?

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

Many of his old apps will be discontinued already, of the rest many current versions won't install on Android 6, and the rest will be irrecognizably changed.

BS. Most apps currently run 5.0 and higher.

moto z marshmallow factory reset

https://www.motorola-support.com/in-en/?page=topic/reset/factory-reset/device/motorola/moto-z-marshmallow

moto z marshmallow update android

https://www.motorola-support.com/in-en/?page=device/motorola/moto-z-marshmallow/topic/device/how-to-check-for-software-update/1