Women returning to Issan?

ricklev

I'm curious if the mass exodus home of working girls from Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket is noticable in the cities and villages?    There must have been thousands of sex workers and tourism industry workers returning to Issan

• Confused 2

In years past (I first visited in 2004), I remember at the start of High season seeing pickup truck after pickup truck driving down the sois with a dozen young ladies sitting in the back.  Saw less and less of that over the years as many of the girls I think just stuck it out after high season as there were so many residents and expats in Thailand to help them eke out a living

Plenty of boys returning too I guess, a tragedy of equal magnitude for those with that particular orientation.

Regardless, for those of us who lived through the good times of Thailand and still felt they had many good times to go, it is a lamentable and disastrous situation at the moment.

But it will get better and get back to normal eventually, since just as the natural environment heals itself, so will Thailand when this is all over.     

Edited by Inala
typo
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, ricklev said:

I'm curious if the mass exodus home of working girls from Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket is noticable in the cities and villages?    There must have been thousands of sex workers and tourism industry workers returning to Issan

Your joking right?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

2) 9x% of bar girls don't dress as bar girls back home, even hide their tattoos (if any)

So don't expect that easy to spot change.

and the family and the rest of the village all pretend that the girls were working in respectable real jobs in the city..... 

They can survive off very little at home.  Although leaving the entertainment zones will decrease their earnings, many of them still have sponsors and have money coming in..  Most I know have Korean, Japan, or Chinese sponsors living in their countries.  And, most sponsors would prefer them to be back in their villages anyway, then working in a bar or massage in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. There's been an obvious rift between some members of my extended fam. Those who managed to snag sponsors, and those who didn't. You can tell who's in a better mood, and who's trying to now eke a living selling food by the side of the road.

While I sympathize with the latter's plight, as many are hurting like this right now, I don't have much sympathy for all that time in BKK they had. Time they had to develop their English and social skills, and much better attitudes, which would've led them to forge quality relationships.

On 7/28/2021 at 5:55 AM, Alwaysthailand said:

YES!  They have ALL headed back to isan.

Yet, all are not from Isaan. 

Beyond this trivial pursuit - who's counting this supposed exodus?