Out of pocket cancer screening costs.

racinkc1

Hi. I recently had testicular cancer and now have a "spot" on my liver and an elevated tumor marker in my blood work. I should probably stay in the states and take advantage of my free healthcare however, I have a Thai GF that I have not seen in a year and want to continue my education in the land of smiles, so Im heading back. MY QUESTION: How much do CT Scans, blood work, and maybe an ultrasound of my liver cost out of pocket "for cancer screening".???I am looking into getting a Cigna global policy but I have a feeling it might cost less to pay out of pocket than to purchase the policy. 

27 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

but I have a feeling it might cost less to pay out of pocket than to purchase the policy. 

While this may be true...what happens when a scan (heaven forbid) comes out showing you have cancer and need enourmously expensive treatment. It's always cheaper to go without insurance until of course you actually need coverage.

The spot on your liver and the elevated tumor marker may put this into the category of pre-existing conditions which likely would be excluded from Cigna's coverage. The Cigna proposal form would contain questions that would require you to disclose this information. 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, tonray said:

While this may be true...what happens when a scan (heaven forbid) comes out showing you have cancer and need enourmously expensive treatment. It's always cheaper to go without insurance until of course you actually need coverage.

If anything started to look bad I would just head back to the states and get treatment. Im just wanting to monitor the situation. After another year, without it getting worse, I will stop screening. 

2 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

If anything started to look bad I would just head back to the states and get treatment. Im just wanting to monitor the situation. After another year, without it getting worse, I will stop screening. 

I understand. Part of the reason why Im asking the question....

• 2 weeks later...

do all check ups in the usa.

CT scan cost me 10k

full blood, chest xray, at the government hospital 4500b.

Probably the best to do in an oncology hospital, so they know, what to look for.

Returning to the usa in a timely manner in covid times might be difficult, even impossible. From yesterday thailand is on a red list - not advisable to travel.

Better option is to bring your gf to the usa

• Like 1

I have liver cancer (and had bladder cancer) and pay about 50,000 baht every 4 months for MRI (better for cancer detection and no radiation), blood work and contrast media for full abdominal scan - if just liver check would be cheaper, with upper only scan, by probably 10-20 thousand baht but sounds like you should have full scan with your history.  Blood tests alone are a bit more than 4,000 baht.  This is from upper level private hospital in Bangkok (but not most expensive tier).   Have had two RFA procedures to kill (primary and a secondary) at about 200k each.  I have insurance and would not advise living a life here without (bladder issue was over a million baht and government hospital at less cost was not an option due time factor) - so as said perhaps best for a life in USA for long term if you have issues getting insurance - you may not be in any condition to fly home for treatment in an emergency.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 7:51 PM, lopburi3 said:

I have liver cancer (and had bladder cancer) and pay about 50,000 baht every 4 months for MRI (better for cancer detection and no radiation), blood work and contrast media for full abdominal scan - if just liver check would be cheaper, with upper only scan, by probably 10-20 thousand baht but sounds like you should have full scan with your history.  Blood tests alone are a bit more than 4,000 baht.  This is from upper level private hospital in Bangkok (but not most expensive tier).   Have had two RFA procedures to kill (primary and a secondary) at about 200k each.  I have insurance and would not advise living a life here without (bladder issue was over a million baht and government hospital at less cost was not an option due time factor) - so as said perhaps best for a life in USA for long term if you have issues getting insurance - you may not be in any condition to fly home for treatment in an emergency.

I just got a check up and only need labs. I need my testosterone, Beta-HCG, AFP (tumor marker) and LDH levels tested only. 

10 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

I just got a check up and only need labs. I need my testosterone, Beta-HCG, AFP (tumor marker) and LDH levels tested only. 

Can only advise AFP was 650 baht in June - always have liver function test (several tests) at 2,100 baht (found to have fatty liver as well as cancer).  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, lopburi3 said:

Can only advise AFP was 650 baht in June - always have liver function test (several tests) at 2,100 baht (found to have fatty liver as well as cancer).  

Hey man thanks for the info. 650-2100 baht is beyond affordable. The testosterone and AFP tests are the most important ones for me. BTW: Iv been feeling really worn down and sickish lately. What finally made me feel normal again was fasting. It's scientifically proven to boost your human growth hormone and that alone can fix a myriad of issues. 

Best