Eye Exam And Lens Perscription by Ophthalmologist

CALSinCM

I need to get a new lenses prescription for my glasses as well as a full eye exam (dilation) and a consult with an Ophthalmologist.

Do any of the CM hospitals provide
services to provide refraction and a written prescription for lens.  At the same time I want to consult with an Ophthalmologist regarding a full check of my eyes as well as discussing specific eye issues I'm having.

I want to get this done through a hospital and not a Thai optical shop as virtually every 'optician' in Thailand will only give you a refraction but otherwise demand you buy the glasses and lens from them.  I just want the lens prescription which I plan to get filled by a US optician on the Internet for a fraction of the cost. 

12 hours ago, grin said:

Have had all of this done at Rajavej Hospital. Good English and reasonable wait time when going in without an appointment. My exam also included a diabetes eye checkup.

How much do you pay for this service? 

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

How can we order these lens & frames from the internet at fraction of the cost?

Places like Zenni Optical.

I've been dealing with Thai opticians for a lot of years.  Their entire business is a hard-sell of inferior products or a hard-sell of extremely expensive "designer" and "fashion" products.   I'm tired of dealing with hard-sells, high-prices, and low quality.  Zenni has been suggested by a few people I know.  And the prices are quite literally a fraction of what these optical stores in Thailand charge.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grin said:

Have had all of this done at Rajavej Hospital. Good English and reasonable wait time when going in without an appointment. My exam also included a diabetes eye checkup.

@grin Do you need an appointment or can you do a walk-in?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

I've been dealing with Thai opticians for a lot of years.  Their entire business is a hard-sell of inferior products or a hard-sell of extremely expensive "designer" and "fashion" products.   I'm tired of dealing with hard-sells, high-prices, and low quality.  Zenni has been suggested by a few people I know.  And the prices are quite literally a fraction of what these optical stores in Thailand charge.

I had a set of lenses replaced by Top Charoen in Pattaya years ago.

Hi Index, progressive, lens material made in Germany. Glasses shipped to BKK for the work.

Almost the exact same price as Canada - and just as good a quality.

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

The problem is that there are some online scammers out there. What if they don't send the product after we have paid the money?

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The problem is that there are some online scammers out there.

I have ordered two pairs so far; regular and mirrored sunglasses. excellent work, no problems. Get your prescription, order a pair.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lexilis said:

I had all this done at Bangkok Hospital EENT Center. No appointment, in and out in about an hour. I don't remember the price but it was less than 1000Bt. 

Did they do a refraction and give you a prescription for lenses, or did they just do a medical check of your eyes. 
Although I need glaucoma and retinal checks my primary reason for going to get a refraction and a lens prescription.  I've notice a change in my vision and I need a new pair of sunglasses for driving..

Edited by CALSinCM

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I had a set of lenses replaced by Top Charoen in Pattaya years ago.

Hi Index, progressive, lens material made in Germany. Glasses shipped to BKK for the work.

Almost the exact same price as Canada - and just as good a quality.

I'm going with Zenni this time around.  Even in the US when I had a refraction the optician would usher you into their own shop with their own selection of frames and their own prices for lenses.  I've been blind all my life so I never questioned that practice.  Then one day I just didn't see a set of frames I liked at my optician and the lens prices finally got high enough that I wanted to shop around and compare. So I asked for my prescription and thanked the doctor.   And then I found the best set of frames I've ever had in my life and the lens where less expensive but good quality.  Why throw money away?
Since coming to Thailand I've been tossed back into that same model.  Go to most optical shops and ask for just a refraction and a piece of paper with a prescription and they won't do it. If you don't purchase from them at their prices then they won't do it.  In the US they have to.  They can't force you to purchase their frames and lens when you paid for a refraction.   Here in Thailand?  Consumer protection isn't a strong point in Thailand. 
So this time around I just to try Zenni.

I had 2 female Opthamologists at Chiang Mai Ram help me when I got a bad eye infection.

I was very satisfied with both.

After being cured I got a new Rx from the female Optometrist there, and got glasses (and my prescription double checked for free) from the Optician a few doors from the UN Irish Pub.

5 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I had 2 female Opthamologists at Chiang Mai Ram help me when I got a bad eye infection.

I was very satisfied with both.

After being cured I got a new Rx from the female Optometrist there, and got glasses (and my prescription double checked for free) from the Optician a few doors from the UN Irish Pub.

I just remembered the 1st Dr. was named Racheda.

When she went on vacation Dr. #2 took over.

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, CALSinCM said:

I'm going with Zenni this time around.  Even in the US when I had a refraction the optician would usher you into their own shop with their own selection of frames and their own prices for lenses.  I've been blind all my life so I never questioned that practice.  Then one day I just didn't see a set of frames I liked at my optician and the lens prices finally got high enough that I wanted to shop around and compare. So I asked for my prescription and thanked the doctor.   And then I found the best set of frames I've ever had in my life and the lens where less expensive but good quality.  Why throw money away?
Since coming to Thailand I've been tossed back into that same model.  Go to most optical shops and ask for just a refraction and a piece of paper with a prescription and they won't do it. If you don't purchase from them at their prices then they won't do it.  In the US they have to.  They can't force you to purchase their frames and lens when you paid for a refraction.   Here in Thailand?  Consumer protection isn't a strong point in Thailand. 
So this time around I just to try Zenni.

If you ordered glasses from Zenni, are you pleased? Thanks