Has anyone tried using American Express or other credit card rewards points to book a Phuket Sandbox trip? Or would it probably be a nightmare waiting to happen?

Would you have to book through the credit card rewards app and then separately contact the hotel to pay for the additional costs (e.g. airport transfer fee)? Inside the rewards points app it's not clear that the hotel's own pre-payment requirements (listed on the hotel's website) are covered/included in the booking through the rewards points app. Has anyone had success doing this? I'm reluctant to try it although I'm not really sure how it could go wrong or backfire. I have about 120,000 American Express rewards points that I'd like to use on the Phuket Sandbox trip. I'm not really sure how to proceed in a way that might mitigate potential risks that trying to use the points for an SHA sandbox hotel would backfire.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

If the hotel accepts the points to do the reservation and payment I see no reason for it being a problem. Contact one of the hotels and/or American Express about it.

American Express is really helpful.  Contacting the hotel is a good idea also.  You can ask for corner rooms, amenities, etc.  They'll also be familiar with you.

Prices are so low now make sure you're not paying to much in points.  Look at the promotion rates on the hotels website.

Megatix Thailand website also has some great voucher deals we use a lot.

Have fun, stay safe.