Transfering Intl Driver License to Thai Driver License

Barley

Hello,

my international driver"s license from Europe for cars and motorcycles expires in September.

Before it expires, I would like to use it to get a Thai driver"s license. I have a Non-O based on retirement, if that matters.

I live in the Mueang Chiang Mai Amphoe.

Which office would I need to go to? What would I need to do?

Is Covid an issue because offices may be closed or processes delayed?

13 hours ago, lordblackader said:

The Department of Land Transport is not currently processing new licenses and renewals. 

When it does again, DLT on Hang Dong Road at the end of the airport runway.

Thank you very much, your lordship!

Is there a web site where I can find out when they will reopen?

Is the paper stapled to my passport (TM30?) enough, or do I need a certificate of residence for my rented condo?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 2:47 AM, Barley said:

Thank you very much, your lordship!

Is there a web site where I can find out when they will reopen?

Is the paper stapled to my passport (TM30?) enough, or do I need a certificate of residence for my rented condo?

Only the office can tell you that. Different offices have different requirements, just like Immigration and extensions.

BTW, they don't transfer an "international driving license" far as I know. You need your original driving license as issued in your home country.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, they don't transfer an "international driving license" far as I know. You need your original driving license as issued in your home country.

Any international driver's licence is only valid in conjunction with the national driver's licence. So you need both, but they mainly look at the international licence since it is designed to be more internationally comprehensible for people not native to the issuing country. It's expiration date is very important too.

Edited by Barley
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, Barley said:

Any international driver's licence is only valid in conjunction with the national driver's licence. So you need both, but they mainly look at the international licence since it is designed to be more internationally comprehensible for people not native to the issuing country. It's expiration date is very important too.

I didn't have an international licence when I went to change my UK licence to a Thai one. Normally one can drive for a year on home country licence before having to change. Don't remember if that applied in Thailand as I didn't drive before changing the licence.

On 8/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, Barley said:

correct

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:01 AM, Barley said:

and strictly speaking it’s not an ‘International Driving License’ … there is no such thing. It is merely a translation of an actual license issued by a recognised motoring authority and recognised as a translation in many countries.

My Australian-issued IDL does not even include a Thai translation ( but seemed acceptable the one and only time it was requested by Thai car rental co).

I think they are closed for the video and test but you can do it online if you have somebody who speaks thai. After you pass that ( very east) it gives you a number you put that in and it gives you a certificate you can take a picture or print it. Take that with house reg and International licence with passport and Visa you will need 2 copies of each take the  colour test reaction test and line up  the pegs test. Have pics taken and wait for new licence. 2 years for the first licence 5 years after that all very easy 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, MisterTee said:

Good point.

The reason being that IDL's have always been so easily available at KSR, Lower Suky, Sleaze-by-the-Sea, and other places where low-life people congregate.

So true.
  On my annual trips here I would always get an IDL to go along with my Press Card and Student ID as a package deal.

In those days my motto was "be prepared" - for whatever the Land of Smiles might throw at me next.

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2021 at 10:01 AM, Barley said:

Have been using my IDP in CNX for over a year and it has worked with the cops, and now its expd as it still works as the exp YEAR is unknown to the thai cops

NOT saying to copy me , so save any attacks, just saying my expd IDP continues to work as my USA license is for both car and motorbike

12 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Have been using my IDP in CNX for over a year and it has worked with the cops, and now its expd as it still works as the exp YEAR is unknown to the thai cops

NOT saying to copy me , so save any attacks, just saying my expd IDP continues to work as my USA license is for both car and motorbike

Just don't get into an accident - as according to law you do not have a valid drivers license.

When I bought my first insurance policy for my bike at age 14 the agent gave me a good piece of advice - we have lawyers on salary, and before we pay out on a claim we will investigate.

Edited by canthai55

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Yes, this can work also in the future. Till you have an accident with a bigger amount involved, and then the Insurance company will be very happy to deny any responsibility as you not have any valid documents! Good luck

1 minute ago, HampiK said:

Yes, this can work also in the future. Till you have an accident with a bigger amount involved, and then the Insurance company will be very happy to deny any responsibility as you not have any valid documents! Good luck

Never had insurance as thats a whole other story.....but I dont want to worry you! ???? kop khun krup     When in Rome!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Never had insurance as thats a whole other story.....but I dont want to worry you! ???? kop khun krup     When in Rome!

if you not have insurance, and are willing to pay "brown envelopes" then you have a chance you will be OK. 
Only wish you good luck, that you not run into something very big money Issues.

• Like 1

Just now, HampiK said:

if you not have insurance, and are willing to pay "brown envelopes" then you have a chance you will be OK. 
Only wish you good luck, that you not run into something very big money Issues.

3rd bombshell..the Motobike has never been in my name....the thais have taught me well...considering driving without headlights now

• Sad 1