Any shops with a good range of staples for Japanese cooking?

csaba81

I can't answer about Japanese ingredients but Tops in Central Festival has a better selection of American/Canadian type ingredients than Rimping and at better prices.  I would suggest you check there before heading to Rimping.

It will be a few days, but I'll check out Tops and Bakermart for Japanese ingredients on my next visit.  I live close to all the markets you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Japanese food store in Ruam Chok same side as all the noodle shops..

I'm pretty sure that is closed already. As the other person said, there is now one in Meechok, maybe the same people

2 hours ago, csaba81 said:

I checked out Bakermart and Yok. Neither is of any use for Japanese cuisine. Definitely more available at Rimping but have yet to check out Tops.

Tops-Chotana caters to a lot of the Japanese ex-pat crowd. They have more variety than Tops -Kad Suen Kaew.

• Thanks 1

I used to cook for Rimping, as they are way overpriced...The mini sushi chef in me would hunt down some Japanese rests and ask them where THEY get supplies.

Go during slow times to get better food quality and they would have time to chat you up as u compliment them, as your Chef will remember you, trust me...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I used to cook for Rimping, as they are way overpriced...The mini sushi chef in me would hunt down some Japanese rests and ask them where THEY get supplies.

Go during slow times to get better food quality and they would have time to chat you up as u compliment them, as your Chef will remember you, trust me...

Many people have a hard time grasping this simple concept.

Go ask the people in the trade. THEY know where to source stuff.

Works for cars, bikes, boats, cooking, you name it.

Asking a bunch of foreigners where to purchase something in Thailand - 555

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Many people have a hard time grasping this simple concept.

Go ask the people in the trade. THEY know where to source stuff.

Works for cars, bikes, boats, cooking, you name it.

Asking a bunch of foreigners where to purchase something in Thailand - 555

Thank u--always go to the source of a place you like----be polite--they WILL remember you---Been cooking over 30+ yrs......You would always get my best item, as we just hear the complaints instead of the praise.....we love talking shop

• Thanks 1

Why not buy from the place where the Japanese restaurants buy from? We buy all of our Japanese cooking supplies from a place in Nong Hoi. It's on the R side coming from the city. I don't know the name - you will have to research it. It's a very busy shop. They have all the sauces, vinegars, seaweed, sushi making supplies and lots of imported frozen items.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:14 AM, elektrified said:

Why not buy from the place where the Japanese restaurants buy from? We buy all of our Japanese cooking supplies from a place in Nong Hoi. It's on the R side coming from the city. I don't know the name - you will have to research it. It's a very busy shop. They have all the sauces, vinegars, seaweed, sushi making supplies and lots of imported frozen items.

What road is this on?