Should I Pay Twice For A Bowl Of Rice At Fuji Restaurant?

Weho

So easy to write that, behind an anonymous computer screen.

Anonymous computer screens! I take it yours is famous then :o

i always sit in front of the screen. something wrong with me?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and sorry .... just realized that it was you trying to save 13 baht on the bus ... and getting shafted because you were cheap :o

Not true... if I were trying to be "cheap", i would have gone for the non-air conditioned bus. I was going to buy TWO seats just for my precious and very delicate farang arse... it had nothing to do with saving 13 baht... it had to do with NOT waiting in line, not waiting for the next bus, not risking that the next bus would be last row seats, etc. But think whatever you want, based on nothing.

And by the way, I just love how the "I love the 5 baht meal" crowd thinks I'M the cheap one!

Isn't there some expression about "glass houses"?

Edited by Weho

You should have called the Pattaya Tourist Police: '1699'.

They will act as arbitrators on disputes, and in my experience they do so in an unbiased fashion.

See my new thread on this very topic...

Life is to short to get steamed over 16 baht. While i agree you should not have been charged for the new rice. That is part of the Thai charm that farangs have to put up with. In the thai's eyes you are already rich and it should not bother you to pay for there mistake. MAI PEN RAI! Just take into account all the other good deals you get in Thailand and call it even.

Once I stayed in AO Nang Bay for a week. Everyday i had my breakfast at this little place right on the beach road.

Every morning I would order 2 eggs over easy and some toast. After the first 3 days of getting every kind of egg except the over easy way i like it, I decide to send the eggs back and told them I only want over easy eggs.

It took 5 tries to finally get them over easy. My wife and I were in tears laughing every time the brought out the wrong eggs. But it was they who had the last laugh. When i got the bill, they charged me for all 5 attemps at the over easy eggs. It still was cheaper than breakfast in the states. I fiqure that a small price to pay for a funny story to share with family and friends when ever we got out for breakfast.

PKG

over easy

I think it's important to consider, when bitching and moaning, the calibur of the establishment doing the offending. If it's a 5 baht street vendor, you get what you pay for. If it's a 99 baht "all you can eat", same thing.... but if it's supposedly an "upscale", "upmarket" air conditioned place, like FUJI and above, I think one has a right to expect to get what you ordered and pay for.

Now, let's have some more of you "5 bahters" complain about ME supposedly being "cheap". Bring 'em on, as George Bush likes to say when taunting a strong enemy killing American troops.

You say the 16 Bahht was around 10% of the price, this gives a total meal ticket of 160 Baht.

You check through a bill of 160 Baht? That's cheap, I bet you even tick each individual item off as correct.

You then make an issue of the 16 Baht and demand it's removal from your bill. That's super cheap.

You then run wailing to a "faux friend". That's mega cheap. (<deleted> is a faux friend?). The "faux" friend tells you you're cheap.

You then come weeping to an internet forum complaining about it. Your cheapness has just gone ballistic.

Face it, you're cheap but at least you are anonymously cheap.

I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading about a tight farang who is worked up over paying for extra bowls of rice.....I seriously need to get out more. PS - PM me if you need the 16b, I am sure I can help you out...

:o

Congratulations, you foolishly took MY BAIT... so, since the 16 bath was about 10% of the total cost of the special, that you, behind your anonymous computer screen, think I should just casually pay, are YOU willing to be overcharged in your business the same 10% by say a supplier or delivery person? Would it be ok if say you bought a pirated DVD at Tutcom, gave a 1,000 baht bill, and they overcharged you 10% of the total cost? Would you just let that go, casually, as you expect me to pay for tainted rice? As you hide behind your anonymous computer screen, talking real tough about how generous you are, and how cheap you think I am... puh-leese. Grow up. And don't take bait so easily.

And it was NOT my mistake... I don't go to a restaurant to be a "taste tester"... I don't get paid to do that. If I order a teriyaki sauce, and they confirm the order, and deliver a sauce to me that clearly resembles teriyaki sauce, I have done all I needed to do, within reason, to assure I got what I ordered. It was THEIR mistake, not mine, sweetcheeks.

You ruined your rice, so had to buy some more rice, nobody overcharged you for anything - its not liek they could resell the rice after you ruined it.

Don't feed the trolls please ladies and gentlemen, it only encourages them

But look at you, you fed right into my trap... you responded to me, thereby giving me all the extra attention I crave so much. Thanks for taking the bait... and I don't think it's your first time either.

Seriously, thanks for the attention you've give me.

You say the 16 Bahht was around 10% of the price, this gives a total meal ticket of 160 Baht.

You check through a bill of 160 Baht? That's cheap, I bet you even tick each individual item off as correct.

You then make an issue of the 16 Baht and demand it's removal from your bill. That's super cheap.

You then run wailing to a "faux friend". That's mega cheap. (<deleted> is a faux friend?). The "faux" friend tells you you're cheap.

You then come weeping to an internet forum complaining about it. Your cheapness has just gone ballistic.

Face it, you're cheap but at least you are anonymously cheap.

I get/eat the salmon steak lunch special at Fuji about two or three times a week, I know the exact price it should be, with my one bottle of water: 244 baht including all taxes and including the EXTORTION tip they steal. So it wasn't a matter of having to carefully analyze a bill/receipt. When I saw the amount was wrong, then I did further checking, and as I figured, they tried to extort the 16 baht out of me for rice I didin't order. As I said somewhere else, I admit I'm a "cheap charlie", but NOT for this instance... it's not a matter of cheapness to give in to extortion, which you apparently admire as a human quality. Oh dear.

Hey, did you see the poll about me? I'm really honored... i just LOVE the attention. Even voted for myself.

Yes, I'm cheap, I have the courage to admit it, but certainly not for this.

A real cheap person might be one who separates the 2 ply toilet paper, to (unsuccessfully) get more value. Of course my solution to this is to simply eat more fiber, and not have a requirement to use so much toilet paper in the first place.

........Bring 'em on, as George Bush likes to say when taunting a strong enemy killing American troops.

My, you're just full of cheap shots, aren't you?

You are not writing this in German thanks in great part to many dead American troops.

........Bring 'em on, as George Bush likes to say when taunting a strong enemy killing American troops.

You are not writing this in German thanks in great part to many dead American troops.

Please don't forget the British, valid point though, Wheo have some respect, we are talking about a petty bowl of rice.

Please don't forget the British, valid point though, Wheo have some respect, we are talking about a petty bowl of rice.

No, we're not talking aut a petty bowl of rice, we;re talking about allowing others to rip us off. You are so trusting of other people, I'll bet you've never even counted your change anywhere in your life. You're a regular Mother Teresa, aren't you. You're so much better than the rest of us low-life.

No, we're not talking aut a petty bowl of rice, we;re talking about allowing others to rip us off. You are so trusting of other people, I'll bet you've never even counted your change anywhere in your life. You're a regular Mother Teresa, aren't you. You're so much better than the rest of us low-life.

Weho:

If your latest poorly written and largely boorish post is aimed at me, I should advise you I do not consider myself better than most. I do consider myself better than some, however. Those I consider myself above might be somebody that makes a scene over a 16 baht bowl of rice in a public diner, particularly when the damage to the aforesaid bowl of rice was self-inflicted.

You need to grow up.

Globeliner:

I would never forget the British/Aussies/Canucks and the contributions that were made by all during that time. Including the supreme sacrifice made by so many in order that people like weho can vent their obviously frustrating life in a public forum.

It's the principle, and I agree with Weho.... although I draw the line at major chains like Fuji, Sizzler or farang-operated restaurants. If it's a small, Thai-owned shop, I would let it slide, since the money goes directly to the owners and not a corporate bank account, so I usually play the guilt card. It also depends on my mood. I'm more prone to frugality towards the end of the month.

I love Fuji, by the way. I always order the Gyoza with a small side of spicy mustard.... mix the mustard with the sauce that comes with it.

Fuji is generally good for customer service. A friend of mine always orders the Salmon Negri sushi, and sometimes they try to pass off the ends of the fillet that are not to be used for sushi since the ends of the fillet are chewier. He calls them on it every time they do it, and they always comply and bring proper pieces.

The employees at Fuji don't really care - they always have a minimum of 25 people working at any given time, so you know they make a pittance. It's all about "losing face", and them removing that charge from your bill means someone there lost face.

Edited by Hobgoblin

Weho:

If your latest poorly written and largely boorish post is aimed at me, I should advise you I do not consider myself better than most. I do consider myself better than some, however. Those I consider myself above might be somebody that makes a scene over a 16 baht bowl of rice in a public diner, particularly when the damage to the aforesaid bowl of rice was self-inflicted.

You need to grow up.

Globeliner:

I would never forget the British/Aussies/Canucks and the contributions that were made by all during that time. Including the supreme sacrifice made by so many in order that people like weho can vent their obviously frustrating life in a public forum.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension and grammar "skills" at once. Before you attack others, perhaps you should look at your own contributions. Mine may not be perfect, but yours are dull, and that should be a crime.

You're guilty.

Hypocrits welcome to respond.

Well that's rather inviting.........though I'm not an hypocrit I'd like to respond.

Thai usually don't complain about food in a restaurant, because they want to avoid a confrontation. So the waiter at Fuji might be a bit mixed up: they take the complaint for granted and bring you what you want and charge you for it.

Yesterday I had a dinner at a Swedish restaurant and I thought that the water tasted a bit funny, so I complained. I didn't ask for a new glass or bottle, I just wanted to report it. The waitress walked away with a big questionmark on her face. I drank the rest of the water straight from the bottle and that tasted perfectly.

Of course the Thai do have an outspoken meaning on restaurants and their food, but they will never ventilate their opinion there and then.

About your 16 Baht compaint......you'r e right. If you don't complain people wil never learn to listen and take the orders properly.

Hypocrits welcome to respond.

Well that's rather inviting.........though I'm not an hypocrit I'd like to respond.

Thai usually don't complain about food in a restaurant, because they want to avoid a confrontation. So the waiter at Fuji might be a bit mixed up: they take the complaint for granted and bring you what you want and charge you for it.

Yesterday I had a dinner at a Swedish restaurant and I thought that the water tasted a bit funny, so I complained. I didn't ask for a new glass or bottle, I just wanted to report it. The waitress walked away with a big questionmark on her face. I drank the rest of the water straight from the bottle and that tasted perfectly.

Of course the Thai do have an outspoken meaning on restaurants and their food, but they will never ventilate their opinion there and then.

About your 16 Baht compaint......you'r e right. If you don't complain people wil never learn to listen and take the orders properly.

Agreed... and from what you wrote, I can point out nothing hypocritical in it. Congratulations on being the first... and I have learned that if you don't speak up, you won't get what you may want. But puh-leese, I wish the hypocrits would stop accepting the stupid lame "excuse" of "it's a Thai thing". Puh-leese.

A real cheap person might be one who separates the 2 ply toilet paper, to (unsuccessfully) get more value. Of course my solution to this is to simply eat more fiber, and not have a requirement to use so much toilet paper in the first place.

ever thought of washing your behind?

Edited by Dr. Naam

Weho:

You need to grow up.

Globeliner:

You really need to work on your reading comprehension and grammar "skills" at once. Before you attack others, perhaps you should look at your own contributions. Mine may not be perfect, but yours are dull, and that should be a crime.

You're guilty.

And yet another snappy retort from the unwashed generation. :o

Folks, methinks this person is just a spin up artist at work. If you ignore him/her, maybe he/she will go away. I must profess I can't stay away. To sit in front of my anonymous keyboard and monitor and anxiously await weho's next missive is much like watching a train wreck. You just know something incredibly earth shattering will happen.

These are silly subjects anyway but that makes them all the more lovable.

If you ignore him/her, maybe he/she will go away. I must profess I can't stay away.

I'll give you credit for having the courage to admit you can't stay away. And also credit for not assuming I'm one gender over another, multiple genders, or no gender at all, sort of.

Remember, no one, as far as I know, is forcing anyone else to post/respond here. If you don't like this or any of my other threads, there are others that are also quite fascinating... like where to find thin wire. That seems to be a popular thread too, albeit not quite as controversial.

If you ignore him/her, maybe he/she will go away. I must profess I can't stay away.

I'll give you credit for having the courage to admit you can't stay away. And also credit for not assuming I'm one gender over another, multiple genders, or no gender at all, sort of.

Remember, no one, as far as I know, is forcing anyone else to post/respond here. If you don't like this or any of my other threads, there are others that are also quite fascinating... like where to find thin wire. That seems to be a popular thread too, albeit not quite as controversial.

Thank you for giving me credit. My life is now complete.

Your genderhood is of no particular interest to me other than one of prurient interest. You often write like a girl and that sometimes confuses the readers. We tend to think we are dealing with a very macho man and learning how best to handle our difficult situations, and then you say something like..."puh..lease". Your adoring public is confused, thus the previous questions concerning your gender, or lack of same.

Ta ta for now.

Thank you for giving me credit. My life is now complete.

Your genderhood is of no particular interest to me other than one of prurient interest. You often write like a girl and that sometimes confuses the readers. We tend to think we are dealing with a very macho man and learning how best to handle our difficult situations, and then you say something like..."puh..lease". Your adoring public is confused, thus the previous questions concerning your gender, or lack of same.

Ta ta for now.

Sometimes on somewhat heated, but hopefully frirendly discussions on these boards, it's usually a "mob mentality", where everyone gangs up on the person with the dissenting opinion. Occasionally, someone has the courage to actually agree with the dissenting opinion, which takes SOME courage... but to actually be willing to admit that you hate it, but you can't stay away, well, you're just "ACES" in my book... I can't even criticize you any longer.

As usual, though, thanks for the extra attention. Love it!

It reminds me a bit, of that "shock jock" from America, i think his name is something like "Howie Stern", who had that movie PRIVATE PARTS a few years back. the radio station management was going over the demographics of listeners. People who checked off that they liked the foul-mouth disk jockey, listened for something like an average of an hour a day. People who checked off that that HATED the foul-mouth disk jocked listened for an average of like THREE HOURS per day. the main reason given, was something like "i wanted to hear what he would say next".

go figure!

Edited by Weho

How many people pour teriyaki sauce on their steamed rice? (Show of hands, please?)

In Japan, you'd be treated with looks of scorn for such a sacrilege. Although, if the Japanese knew you were doing it to Thai rice, they might smugly smile. The Japanese are seriously protective of their rice. I recall one year with a low domestic rice crop yield, some stores couldn't give away the imported Thai rice they had on their shelves. The Japanese would rather do without rice than eat "inferior" imported rice.

How many people pour teriyaki sauce on their steamed rice? (Show of hands, please?)

In Japan, you'd be treated with looks of scorn for such a sacrilege. Although, if the Japanese knew you were doing it to Thai rice, they might smugly smile. The Japanese are seriously protective of their rice. I recall one year with a low domestic rice crop yield, some stores couldn't give away the imported Thai rice they had on their shelves. The Japanese would rather do without rice than eat "inferior" imported rice.

Fuji restaurant doesn't automatically put soy sauce on the tables, one has to ask for it. So if i'm going to take the trouble of asking for something, it may as well be for the sauce i want. They do serve teriyaki sauce with the salmon steak set special, but only enough for the salmon itself, so it's necessary to ask for some supplemental sauce for the rice.

One time I did ask for soy sauce, and they dropped off one of those small bottles, i think the brand was Maggi... only problem was that the bottle was like 1/2 full, and had TONS of filthy finger prints from the past 50 customers, most of which probably had diseases they were probably spreading with their filthy unwashed hands. So I take my chances with the teriyaki sauce, which probably gets poured from some big vat in the kitchen. The vat is probably filthy on the outside, but at least I don't have to touch it. Cross-contamination is a serious health issue.

We have a saying in my country "you break it you bought it" welcome to Thailand you should have checked the sauce before using it in fact you bought an extra bowl of rice.

Oh really? Should I have checked the rice first to see if it was real rice? Should I check the bottled water to see that they didn't really refilll it with tap sludge? Should I have checked the slaughtered cow to make sure it didn't have disease? I think it's reasonable that when you go to a supposedly upscale (by Pattaya standards) restaurant, to presume that they deliver what you ask for.

And your "breaking it", like a piece of china, and my tainting an overpriced rice bowl, when I was given a different sauce than what I clearly ordered, are two very different things. Nice try, though.