Bike Tax

baz69er

Ive had to use Bikes for sale as there isnt any other options to post a new topic, so would like some advice, I havnt been able to return to Thailand because of covid & my bike is coming up to its second year without being taxed, I know that when I eventually go to tax it, I will have to pay for the last few years, a mate of mine said that after 3 years of not taxing my bike it will be taken off the system & I will have to pay 4 to 5 thousand baht to get it back on, does anyone know if this is true as to me it sounds ridiculously expensive.....

Thanks in advance.....

Baz

@baz69er

No you have no problem at all, your friend knows very little about Thai bike tax for road.

Go to the DLT and you just pay the back taxes.

If your bike is more than 5 years old you will need an inspection check to get your road tax disc.

Edited by Kwasaki

After 3 years, the registration will be taken off the system is true, you'd have to re-register, and, get a new plate even.

but the fine is only  1000 baht if you don't surrender the plate upon 3 years plus back taxes (1% interest per year)

to re-register, various fees are around 1000 baht

this is all if  you do it yourself, at the DLT, preferrably less hassle if you can go to the original DLT that the bike was registered in, if not, you have to transfer to the new DLT, and more forms and fee..

so, if you go to the agents that can do it for you, charging around 4000 baht for the convenience doesn't seem for off

you can pay the road tax and get the necessary insurance online now though, they'll mail you the new tax paper, so you'll need a Thai address

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

After 3 years, the registration will be taken off the system is true, you'd have to re-register, and, get a new plate even.

but the fine is only  1000 baht if you don't surrender the plate upon 3 years plus back taxes (1% interest per year)

to re-register, various fees are around 1000 baht

this is all if  you do it yourself, at the DLT, preferrably less hassle if you can go to the original DLT that the bike was registered in, if not, you have to transfer to the new DLT, and more forms and fee..

so, if you go to the agents that can do it for you, charging around 4000 baht for the convenience doesn't seem for off

you can pay the road tax and get the necessary insurance online now though, they'll mail you the new tax paper, so you'll need a Thai address

Absolute nonsense. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Absolute nonsense. 

I've had letter from the DLT after not taxing a bike for a while saying that I had to surrender the plate to the DLT (essentially declaring it off the road), and to re-register, I had to get a new plate, number and everything, so not nonsense

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

I've had letter from the DLT after not taxing a bike for a while saying that I had to surrender the plate to the DLT (essentially declaring it off the road), and to re-register, I had to get a new plate, number and everything, so not nonsense

Strange that and never heard of such a thing,  don't know where your DLT is or the OP's.

Surely you know not all DLT's are managed the same and anyway the OP has not got a problem with any them at the moment with a bike only coming up to it's second year and it also being within the pandemic period. 

Getting a bike inspected, re-registered, a new book,  and a new number is no big deal anyhow, I already done it. 

My bike was off road not taxed

for nearly 7 years,  went to DLT Sukhothai and they did an inspection of the bike,  paid back 6 years unpaid road taxes plus the 7th year and the fine for 6 years was 6 baht.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, Kwasaki said:

Absolute nonsense. 

Officially a bike not taxed for 3 years will get unregistered and as he said will have to get a new plate etc. He is right. I've tried to buy a bike which was a few years late with taxes but gave up on the deal at the Phuket DLT because of this. You might have gotten lucky.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Officially a bike not taxed for 3 years will get unregistered and as he said will have to get a new plate etc. He is right. I've tried to buy a bike which was a few years late with taxes but gave up on the deal at the Phuket DLT because of this. You might have gotten lucky.

A new number plate has nothing to do so about it you can change a number plate when a bike is 6 months old e.g. if you want to. 

As for getting lucky just shows how naive some people here are.

Our DLT is very helpful, I would imagine as for a DLT in Phuket it wouldn't surprise me at all in a place like that they would apply some 3 year rule. 

At our DLT as said after my bike was off the road for nearly 7 years no problem at all the fine on the road tax was 6 baht,  how much would it it be Phuket.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

A new number plate has nothing to do so about it you can change a number plate when a bike is 6 months old e.g. if you want to. 

As for getting lucky just shows how naive some people here are.

Our DLT is very helpful, I would imagine as for a DLT in Phuket it wouldn't surprise me at all in a place like that they would apply some 3 year rule. 

At our DLT as said after my bike was off the road for nearly 7 years no problem at all the fine on the road tax was 6 baht,  how much would it it be Phuket.

A new number plate is forced when a vehicle has to be re-registered. The old one is not valid anymore. That's the point we made. The reason I didn't buy that bike was because I actually only wanted its number plate and then transfer it to my other bike, I didn't care about the bike itself. Because it wasn't taxed for over 3 years the plate wasn't actually valid anymore.

Not sure what you mean by naive. We're just stating what the rules are and at least in some cases they are followed. The more things become digital the less likely it will be for some DLT to ignore the law.

From the Vehicle Act:

Section 35/3.39 In respect of the vehicle defaulting annual tax
payment for three consecutive years, the registration shall cease. In such case, the
Registrar shall announce the registration number including the defaulting tax
payment at the office of the Registrar and the place prescribed by the Director-
General and shall inform the owner of vehicle. And such person shall return the
vehicle registration plate and submit the vehicle registration certificate to the
Registrar for recording the cessation of vehicle registration within sixty days from the
date of information and announcement.

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

But 4k - 5k Baht to register a bike sounds way too much.

Edit:

I thought this topic sounded familiar.... We spoke about the same thing last year and you confirmed your bike was de-registered and you got a new green book and plate hehe.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

A new number plate is forced when a vehicle has to be re-registered. The old one is not valid anymore. That's the point we made. The reason I didn't buy that bike was because I actually only wanted its number plate and then transfer it to my other bike, I didn't care about the bike itself. Because it wasn't taxed for over 3 years the plate wasn't actually valid anymore.

Not sure what you mean by naive. We're just stating what the rules are and at least in some cases they are followed. The more things become digital the less likely it will be for some DLT to ignore the law.

From the Vehicle Act:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

But 4k - 5k Baht to register a bike sounds way too much.

Edit:

I thought this topic sounded familiar.... We spoke about the same thing last year and you confirmed your bike was de-registered and you got a new green book and plate hehe.

New green book because the old green book was full the new green book is the same.

And Oh !!  the fliging law in a DLT as I said in places where guys like you live in Thailand.

As said there not all managed the same DLT's are different, hence naive. 

Have a nice day.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

You are the one writing nonsense.

After 3 years of not paying taxes you need to get a new green book, new license plate, pay some fees and a fine, everything explained in for example this article:

https://www.moneyguru.co.th/car-and-insurance-tips/articles/วิธีการต่อทะเบียนรถยนต์ที่ขาดมา3ปี

For other articles regarding the same topic just put this into Google: รถที่ขาดการต่อทะเบียนเกิน3ปี

???? New licence plate I was asked if I wanted to change it.

So why is my new green book the same as the old green book.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, when did you do what I did with my bike.

What's the fine where you live at your DLT ??

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

New green book because the old green book was full the new green book is the same.

And Oh !!  the fliging law in a DLT as I said in places where guys like you live in Thailand.

As said there not all managed the same DLT's are different, hence naive. 

Have a nice day.

How can the green book be the same? It's a new green book for the same bike. It will have a different serial number. You even have a different license plate number! Not sure what you are trying to argue here. If some DLT does not follow the law then that's neither surprising nor should one expect it - as you know not every rule is applied equally everywhere in Thailand. But one should expect to have to re-register the bike (no biggie) and if not needed then like I said, nice - got lucky. It's not naive. Naive would be to expect that there couldn't be a need to register the bike again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How can the green book be the same? It's a new green book for the same bike. It will have a different serial number. You even have a different license plate number! Not sure what you are trying to argue here. If some DLT does not follow the law then that's neither surprising nor should one expect it - as you know not every rule is applied equally everywhere in Thailand. But one should expect to have to re-register the bike (no biggie) and if not needed then like I said, nice - got lucky. It's not naive. Naive would be to expect that there couldn't be a need to register the bike again.

What's arguing, just telling how it is at our DLT nothing to do with luck.

The OP as I said has no problem and does not have to worry about road tax disc from what he has stated in his post.

He just needs to go to his DLT if it's open or an inspection place should be able to help him even if his bike is not 5 year old.

Depending where he lives because pandemic OP may have a problem but he can still get insured.

I gave good advice to OP no need for scaremongering about laws and fines in the OP's case.

Yet some people here instead of reading post come on talking a load of nonsense IMHO instead of advice, TiT.

Edited by Kwasaki

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I gave good advice to OP no need for scaremongering about laws and fines in the OP's case.

Yet some people here instead of reading post come on talking a load of nonsense IMHO instead of advice, TiT.

Nobody is scaremongering. You are reading too much into it. All we did is lay out the facts. After more than 3 years of not paying tax the bike's registration will cease and it has to be registered again. That's the law, that's what I experienced at my DLT and that's what you experienced at your DLT. It's not a huge or crazy expensive undertaking as you might have read between the lines. OP just needs to know the facts and what the process is.

Sorry but I have to agree with jackdd, the nonsense came from you ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Nobody is scaremongering. You are reading too much into it. All we did is lay out the facts. After more than 3 years of not paying tax the bike's registration will cease and it has to be registered again. That's the law, that's what I experienced at my DLT and that's what you experienced at your DLT. It's not a huge or crazy expensive undertaking as you might have read between the lines. OP just needs to know the facts and what the process is.

Sorry but I have to agree with jackdd, the nonsense came from you ????

Rear the OP post a person started talking nonsense that was not OP's problem it was  scaremongering fact, face up to it.

Well OK if you know what our Sukhothai DLT does up to you I would not Amit to knowing what yours does or Jackie boy. 

Tell me Thai DLT law guru why they ask us if we wanted to keep the original number plate of Koh Samui which had been on the bike for 26 years.?

I'll start with all DLT's do not operate the same in Thailand.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, transam said:

It maybe the case that areas are different with their laws, I just had to see if I could find something. Have a look at below, load of bumph but start at section 35....This could be old hat but it's all l could find..

Unavailable trying on my phone.

1979 might have been forgotten. ????

When I turned up at our DLT with my 1993 bike and a big smile  I think they just  looked at me and without saying thought  " let's just get rid of this falangie nutter and give him what he wants ". ????????????????

• Haha 1