Teaching Licensure Exam

Greetings, 

First, I would like to ask if anyone has gone through the new licensure exams that took place earlier this year in February? If so, what was your experience and impression of the exams? 

Second, is anyone familiar with the way that they treat major subject teaching on the exams? While reading the documentation, it mentions that teachers of subjects other than languages must take the major subject exam in Thai language. I can read basic/conversational Thai, but how could foreigners possibly be expected to take an examination in Information and Communication Technology in Thai?

Third, are there any resources or materials that are available to assist in studying for these exams? I am currently taking an accredited diploma course in teacher education, but I am not confident that it has provided me with the essential knowledge that was outlined in the test blueprints. 

Finally, does anyone know when they might hold the next set of exams? The person with which I had contact was only able to inform me that the exam dates would be posted on the website.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

• Like 1

Since no one's come forth, here's what I know about the exam. I didn't have to take it, as it's not offered every year. I just had to fill out the app for the license, requiring signatures and ID card copies from your school officials as references. Also, your work permit from that school with a full 365 days is quite important.

A Filipino colleague of mine was even luckier. He applied for the license using the 365 days he did at a previous school. It was far away and had been awhile, and he'd lost touch with those officials. So, he just sent in the app with his work permit copy, and said well, let's see what happens. He got back his license, not needing any signatures or references. Amazing Thailand.

So, the exam. This is what I heard from some years back. It was quite terrible, haha. For foreigners, the English is terribly bad. For Thais, even the Thai's not much better. Many of the questions don't make any sense. You'll get some multiple choice, and think that none of them could be correct. So you've just gotta pick one at random. Hah. Thus, the failure rate was over 50%. Many teachers complained and filed appeals, and some more were given the license. And thus the exam gets scrapped for the next year.

Again, this was years back, and it may have improved since. I'd too like to know what's on this exam, and how it is now.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:31 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

???? There's a reason some of us actually took real classes in real schools to become real teachers.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sure you are a wonderful real teacher that all of the students hold in high regard. 

On 8/10/2021 at 4:26 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

Are you Thai, Pinoy or from Ghana? 

Perhaps you should post the website that seems to supersede Kruesapa (TCT) requirements.

???? These "tests" are for Thai teachers and are written for grade 12. If you're not confident that you're more learned that the students, perhaps you should reconsider teaching?

I hope you don't teach English.

Which requirements in my post are supposedly superseding  the Khurusapa? The information I cited was from documents that I received in an email from the Secretariat Office of the Teacher's Council of Thailand. If you're going to be condescending, at least know what you're talking about.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Since no one's come forth, here's what I know about the exam. I didn't have to take it, as it's not offered every year. I just had to fill out the app for the license, requiring signatures and ID card copies from your school officials as references. Also, your work permit from that school with a full 365 days is quite important.

A Filipino colleague of mine was even luckier. He applied for the license using the 365 days he did at a previous school. It was far away and had been awhile, and he'd lost touch with those officials. So, he just sent in the app with his work permit copy, and said well, let's see what happens. He got back his license, not needing any signatures or references. Amazing Thailand.

So, the exam. This is what I heard from some years back. It was quite terrible, haha. For foreigners, the English is terribly bad. For Thais, even the Thai's not much better. Many of the questions don't make any sense. You'll get some multiple choice, and think that none of them could be correct. So you've just gotta pick one at random. Hah. Thus, the failure rate was over 50%. Many teachers complained and filed appeals, and some more were given the license. And thus the exam gets scrapped for the next year.

Again, this was years back, and it may have improved since. I'd too like to know what's on this exam, and how it is now.

This is interesting information. I have been told every possibility by multiple sources. The admin at the school where I am doing the diploma says that we will need to take an exam before applying for the teaching license. Some other teachers are telling me the same information that you are giving;  I could apply with the letters of reference from school faculty. I also asked the Khurusapa if the exam was required and they did not answer the question directly, but instead sent several documents regarding the test in February 2021. So who is correct? No one knows. Welcome to Thailand. 

Once I receive this diploma, I guess I will attempt to apply directly and hope for the best. Besides, I don't know how they plan to have people sit an exam during a pandemic.

Thanks for you input.

Edited by pickledpapaya
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, pickledpapaya said:

they did not answer the question directly, but instead sent several documents regarding the test in February 2021.

Hmm. 6 months, if they'll again have it in '22. Who knows if they'll be able to get hundreds of teachers to show up and take the exam, with the way Covid's going. Sounds like they're doubtful.

The DLT (driver's license office) was starting to reopen back in June, but now with these rising cases, they're closing again.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, pickledpapaya said:

This is interesting information. I have been told every possibility by multiple sources. The admin at the school where I am doing the diploma says that we will need to take an exam before applying for the teaching license. Some other teachers are telling me the same information that you are giving;  I could apply with the letters of reference from school faculty. I also asked the Khurusapa if the exam was required and they did not answer the question directly, but instead sent several documents regarding the test in February 2021. So who is correct? No one knows. Welcome to Thailand. 

Once I receive this diploma, I guess I will attempt to apply directly and hope for the best. Besides, I don't know how they plan to have people sit an exam during a pandemic.

Thanks for you input.

From what I have heard, they changed the rules suddenly and without any prior notice in January 2021.

Before this date everyone who completed an education qualification automatically received the license upon filling out the application form. 

However suddenly people who applied in January were informed that they need to take a test, which is completely unpublicised, there is no scope or materials for and noone even knows where/when it is available to take. So I have friends who literally finished a course before Jan and got their license, and other friends who finished the exact same course in Jan and are unable to get their license.

Eventually I found someone with concrete information about the test.

All this infor is from my colleague who just took the new Khrusapha test for the permanent teacher license after completing his course with St Theresa's college in Rangsit.....
The test is a mass multiple choice test with 200 questions which should take 3 hours.
It costs 2000 baht.
The sections included: Conversational English, English (basically grammar), Technology, IT in Education, and questions related to good teaching practice.......
Some questions involved knowing about the Thai Technology Act, another asked about what color computer screen is most harmful to your eyes, and then there were very specific grammar related questions......
People taking the test are given very few materials to revise from, certainly not in English anyway.
Thai people take the same test. I believe this is the test which Thai people need to take to become qualified government teachers.......
He got his result yesterday.
Out of 18 foreign teachers who took the exam in English......ALL 18 FAILED.....
Some Thai teachers took the test too....The Thai teachers who took the test in English.......FAILED....
The 2 Thai teachers who took the test in Thai......PASSED.....

It seems like the old terribly translated TCT license test is back, which they got rid of as being stupid a few years ago.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic. I'm following a similar path as the OP.

But, as a subject teacher (other than English), I hope I can at least take the test in English and answer some actual questions about my subject, instead of taking a general test. But I guess not.

Anyway, I'm on course to graduate in the second quarter of 2022 and my third waiver expires in October next year. Curious how everything is gonna work out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I completed my postgraduate degree in December 2020 and applied for the 5 year permit in January 2021 and was then informed about this test.. I don't think that there has been one all year, so I am just waiting for khurusapa to announce it although some study materials in the meantime would be useful.

If you hear anything please do update us here.

Many thanks

3 hours ago, fin5prtw said:

Hello,

I completed my postgraduate degree in December 2020 and applied for the 5 year permit in January 2021 and was then informed about this test.. I don't think that there has been one all year, so I am just waiting for khurusapa to announce it although some study materials in the meantime would be useful.

If you hear anything please do update us here.

Many thanks

What's your postgraduate degee it? Unless the rule has changed reently, you don't need to do any tests if you have a bachelor's degree in education or your postgrag is something like a PGCE/Graduate diploma in teaching. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

What's your postgraduate degee it? Unless the rule has changed reently, you don't need to do any tests if you have a bachelor's degree in education or your postgrag is something like a PGCE/Graduate diploma in teaching. 

The rule changed unfortunately. I have a PGCE in Education. Anyone who qualified post-2019 now has to sit the Khurusapa proficiency examination in addition to their postgraduate degree to obtain the 5 year permit. There hasn't been a test all year, so I am sitting and waiting for the next examination.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 7:17 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I didn't have to take it, as it's not offered every year. I just had to fill out the app for the license, requiring signatures and ID card copies from your school officials as references. Also, your work permit from that school with a full 365 days is quite important.

Thank you for your info.

May I ask, what year did you finish your education degree, diploma, or certificate? 

I think those who finished their education qualification from 2020 onwards need to take the test.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:34 AM, fin5prtw said:

I don't think that there has been one all year

I wonder was there a test in 2020, or 2021? Was it two years they didn't offer a test?

If so, I wonder if that could be grounds for requesting a 5th waiver for those who need it. Because it seems unreasonable that they changed the rules in the 2020 and then don't offer a test for us to comply with the rules.

Edited by FruitPudding