Condo purchase Hua Hin

aridion

Hi guys,

I know this may not be the best time for looking to buy a condo in Hua Hin, or Thailand for that matter, however, I am tempted.

However, I have been thinking of getting a place in Hua Hin center, not as a permanent living place, but as a place I go to every few months for a couple of weeks.

I am looking at a place at Baan Klang condo near the center of town. They are reasonably priced, and a decent size.

Anyone know about this place? Worth a look? Or, is it one to pass on?

TIA

• Like 1

On the contrary, it's probably nearing the perfect time to buy but suggest you keep monitoring prices for the present. Can't help with your particular desire but whatever they ask, put in a much lower bid first and take it from there. 

• Like 2

Can’t speak to this particular condo, but can say to look for the same condo on multiple sites (hipflat, Thailand property, etc etc) because it will be listed multiple times by multiple agents with some adding significant markups.  

I looked at it several years ago, seemed OK on the surface.  Check with some current owners about the management team and maintenance and any issues with units being short-term rented leading to noise issues.

I'm just behind there in Tira Tiraa, you should check it out too.

On 8/9/2021 at 8:48 PM, aridion said:

I am looking at a place at Baan Klang condo near the center of town. They are reasonably priced, and a decent size.

Offer half of what they're asking.. it's a buyers market right now, especially in Hua Hin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

if it is just a few weeks here and there why not stay at a hotel?

My thoughts exactly, I did the same exercise in reverse.

I was looking at a static home on the coast in the UK in a holiday park for a few weeks a year as a getaway from Thailand.

Then I just slapped myself, I could easily stay in most decent mid range hotels in any region of the UK or Europe, move around and on check out simply walk away!, no ground fees, no maintenance etc etc

No brainer for my circumstances! I also looked at a place off Koh Chang with the same outcome. It was cheap, good value, but how often would I use it. Top hotels on Koh Chang are 2000-2500 baht a night

Unless you are going to use things a lot, you are burning capital.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Offer half of what they're asking.. it's a buyers market right now, especially in Hua Hin.

I had a house in Pattaya many moons ago. It was a beauty in Khao Talo.

Another thing I found, agents were useless or at best, not enthusiastic or pushy when it came to marketing it for sale.

All they were interested in pushing and promoting were new builds and projects. I sold it heavily discounted by myself.

You are spot on, it's a buyers market, and lets face it, they will struggle like hell to sell it at the moment.

Edited by Scouse123

As others have said, unless you are intending to live there for longer periods at a future date, or have plenty of friends and relatives who can use it, the economics might not add up.

For example, assuming you spend a total of 4 weeks (spread out over the year) in Hua Hin. Paying 2500 a night for a good hotel or apartment = 75,000 Baht. Say another 25,000 Baht to cover extra food costs etc because you don't have a condo with appliances.

Over 10 years you would spend 1 million Baht. A $2 million apartment would equal 20 years. 

Unless you are certain you can sell the condo for a decent price, if you get sick of always gong to Hua Hin, it might not be worthwhile.