COE timing question

I am supposed to fly from Chicago to Bangkok on August 18th. Submitted my COE pre-approval last Friday (August 6th) to the Chicago consulate, and it's still pending. Starting to get nervous about the COE not being approved on time. I've bought my insurance already and printed out all the forms, just need the pre-approval to go through so I can book the ASQ hotel. 

Does anyone have any insight into what the turnaround time is at the Chicago consulate? Should I call them and try to speed it up?

I think you still have time but you still have to submit the ASQ/Flight booking confirmation after + get the covid test too. 

With insurance, at least in my case, I could cancel and revise the date before the trip as well as my flight, but I had to pay a re-booking fee for the ASQ hotel. You can try calling them to speed it up.

I was in canada and it was done within 1 business day, both the pre-approval and the 2nd approval for COE

Edited by dj230

It looks like it is taking longer.  I went through the Chicago consulate for my COE in late May.  I received my pre-approval in 1 day.  To get my final approval it took an additional 6 days but that included the Memorial Day weekend.

The London embassy wanted everything paid for and confirmed for preaproval and then entered again after that was approved. Even the flights for a visa on arrival. Each submission was approved or disproved within about 4 hours in office hours. If you need to change an already approved coe you need the embassy/consulate to reset the application. This was for ASQ and sandbox COEs. I did both but not just for me and had to do a date change after gettingmy coe.

Edited by chang1

i can't help with the chicago consulate.  i worked with los angeles.  after i loaded everything into the system (ASQ, flights, etc..), it took 11 business days to get my COE.  i made a mistake, i entered the transit date as the date i left USA instead of the date i arrived at my transit city (ICN).  to change the transit date on the COE took two more business days.  i would not hesitate to send an email just to make sure there isn't some kind of a glitch/problem, etc... 

in the first step of application, i had to load my insurance and passport.  but OP, you are saying you've bought the insurance but haven't loaded it yet ?  the COVID insurance.  after that i got 'approved' and was prompted to add the other stuff (ASQ, flights, etc.).

you never got a 6 digit number (aka preapproval) ?  that came to me almost immediately.  again, after loading passport and insurance.

Per the link (see green box at top of page) everything could take 15 working days. 

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

I got pre approval the next day. Submitted flight and asq. This is now day 8 since sending  travel confirmation. I am also worried. Los Angeles office btw. 

I sent an email to the Embassy.

Not sure why it is taking longer than stated on the website for me.

Keep in mind this is after receiving the initial confirmation email with 6 digit code.

Tho OP has not even received that yet. I have given myself plenty of time so I "SHOUD" be fine but still worried.

I would call the Embassy ASAP if I knew I may run out of time. Good luck to you Jeff.

It has been 8 days since this email was received.

Per the website https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ it should only take between 3-7 days after the travel confirmation is received.

"the COE will be issued within 3-7 days after you submit all required documents and provide all relevant information. "

Please explain why there is a delay in my COE approval past the stated timeframe.

Sincerely,

Ryan Mooney

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate the replies. Just to update -- the pre-approval came on Aug 11 and the COE came on August 16. So the process took 10 days from the time I submitted pre-approval. The trip went great, and I'm chillin in ASQ now. 

For anyone else doing this I'd recommend applying for pre-approval the full 15 days before the trip. At 10 days I was sweating it. 

Edited by jeffthehat

As the government considers opening up more of Thailand to foreign travelers I hope they get rid of the COE.  There is no way the Thai consulates around the world can process the increased number of applications in a timely manner.  Before the Phuket sandbox it took only 5 days to get my COE approved.  Now as the OP just posted, it is taking 10 days.