Baht To U.s. Traveller's Checks

moondragon

It's much more cost efficient just to use your ATM card in BKK.

Not to mention considerably more convenient.

The exchange rate varies slightly, I was favorably impressed by K-Bank for example.

I understand that you may want Travelers Checks for their security - quite a valid reason. If someone steals your wallet with your ATM card it may be difficult to get cash. However, you can also get a cash advance on a VISA credit card - so always leave one in the room (hopefully in a safe) as a backup.

If you need cash immediately upon arrival, the money exchange in the airport BEFORE you go through immigration has reasonably good rates. After immigration it seems they are actually less generous. So my first trip in I exchanged some USD $$ to get cash for the taxi fare. After that it was ATM all the way.

I have no experience using Travelers Checks in BKK but wanted to offer the alternatives. I do understand that you pay a fee just to get the Checks, then you may pay a fee to cash them, and then the exchange rate is not as good as for using USD currency. Seems costly.

The other thing I recommend all avoid is buying Baht from American Express. You pay a fee and the exchange rate is pretty bad. :o

Have a nice trip,

kenk3z

To clarify, I presume you mean using US Travelers Checks to purchase Thai Baht.

Based on your exact wording, maybe you are asking if you can buy Travelers Checks with Thai Baht currency? Good luck sir.

kenk3z

I dont think his statement needs any clarification, just read it properly. The guy has Thai Bhat and wants to buy US Travellers checks with it, simple really.

All i can say is check the rates at the airport and compare them with downtown Bangkok, Shop around and check the net also.

Good luck,

8ball.