Alternative to Guam Air V&V

Kelsall

Guam’s Air V&V program now has a major competitor —- and it’s from our own backyard.

GVB President Carl Gutierrez said that Palau is now emerging as a competitor to Guam in vaccine tourism.

“Palau is now giving vaccinations and offering vaccine tourism. So we’re trying to stave that off so we don’t get left behind,” Gutierrez said during the GVB board meeting Thursday afternoon.

https://www.pncguam.com/palau-emerging-as-a-guam-air-vv-vaccine-tourism-competitor/

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 1

Flip flops on the ground in Guam: some may want to note that Guam Air V&V is the private clinic option here.   Thus, it's not the free Covid19 vaccine and it's $42 a jab for Americans and $100 a jab  for foreigners (so at least that should make the TV dual pricing crowd happy) .... Per dose so that's $200 per Pfizer/Moderna set.  That said, the service is wonderful and the atmosphere is like Bamrungrad vs. Bangsue (so undoubtedly safer social distancing wise as well). 

Some folks are under the misconception that all Covid jabs are free stateside.  If you want the free Covid 19 jabs here, you want to go through Vaccines.gov or the local Guam DPHSS website.   Also easy, some family members opted for the free route.... The major difference being the wait time, jab applied by Guam National Guard medic, it was done in the more middle class Micronesia Mall instead of the Plaza Shopping Center and you have to fill at the forms yourself.   (at the Air V&V one they type everything in for you). 

20210813_115124.jpg

For Guam, it's still five (5) weeks (Pfizer: 21 days + 14 day THL sandbox requirement) , assuming you want to return to Thailand via a sandbox. Six weeks for Moderna. Or add the 2 weeks for ASQ in Bangkok. Same-same.

The cost of the vaccine seems insignificant when one adds in the airfare and hotel? And once you land are you guaranteed the vaccine of your choosing?

For some here it might be the best alternative? A lot of "influencers" are "promoting" this option.

Palau? Really? 2-stops? 3-stops? Via GUM of course. 

I hear that for Guam you deal with the Thai consulate in Los Angeles for the CoE.

I'd go back to the U.S., but that's me.

58 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

For Guam, it's still five (5) weeks (Pfizer: 21 days + 14 day THL sandbox requirement) , assuming you want to return to Thailand via a sandbox. Six weeks for Moderna. Or add the 2 weeks for ASQ in Bangkok. Same-same.

The cost of the vaccine seems insignificant when one adds in the airfare and hotel? And once you land are you guaranteed the vaccine of your choosing?

For some here it might be the best alternative? A lot of "influencers" are "promoting" this option.

I hear that for Guam you deal with the Thai consulate in Los Angeles for the CoE.

It's all relative, free vs. $200/$84 a head x however many family members is a few meals or a couple grocery runs.   Again though, the paid version is convenient.    Also good for older or wheelchair bound folks. 

Everyone's requirements are going to vary.   For us, the kids are still attending Thai school classes online so that means around 11am to 3pm western Pacific time in Guam vs. 8pm to midnite central US time (if I were to go back to Texas).    We might still head over to the mainland if Thailand is still in code clusterF in September.   Have always wanted to drive across the country, maybe do Route 66 or the Lonliest highway, or some combination of other routes. 

7 hours ago, Heng said:

Flip flops on the ground in Guam: some may want to note that Guam Air V&V is the private clinic option here.   Thus, it's not the free Covid19 vaccine and it's $42 a jab for Americans and $100 a jab  for foreigners (so at least that should make the TV dual pricing crowd happy) .... Per dose so that's $200 per Pfizer/Moderna set.  That said, the service is wonderful and the atmosphere is like Bamrungrad vs. Bangsue (so undoubtedly safer social distancing wise as well). 

Some folks are under the misconception that all Covid jabs are free stateside.  If you want the free Covid 19 jabs here, you want to go through Vaccines.gov or the local Guam DPHSS website.   Also easy, some family members opted for the free route.... The major difference being the wait time, jab applied by Guam National Guard medic, it was done in the more middle class Micronesia Mall instead of the Plaza Shopping Center and you have to fill at the forms yourself.   (at the Air V&V one they type everything in for you). 

20210813_115124.jpg

Excellent. I just heard about this. I will need to be vaccinated if borders open again next year, and as my destination is Australia, this would be a great 'Plan B' if the Thais can't/won't give/sell a vaccine to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Just out of curiosity, at what costs are we looking here; I mean not the jabs, but how much doe for 5-6 weeks hotel in Guam plus the flight from Bangkok?

Palau Commercial Passenger Entry Policy – Effective June 17, 2021

MHHS Directive 27-21 – COVID Isolation Quarantine Measures
Pandemic Certified Accommodations for Visitors and Essential Workers

Effective Immediately, a commercial airline traveler needs only to present required documentation to the airline/airline representative for entry into the Republic of Palau.

• Pursuant to Republic of Palau Rules and Regulations for Isolation & Quarantine of Contagious Diseases and current Ministry of Health (MOH) Directives regarding COVID-19 measures, all international travelers entering the Republic of Palau are subject to the entry requirements listed below.
    • All travelers must provide valid proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, with final dose received at least 14 days prior to arrival in Palau. Vaccine record must clearly show date(s) and number of dose(s) received as well as vaccine brand that is either US FDA or WHO approved or authorized for COVID-19 (...)
Edited by StayinThailand2much

27 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just out of curiosity, at what costs are we looking here; I mean not the jabs, but how much doe for 5-6 weeks hotel in Guam plus the flight from Bangkok?

And add ASQ or sandbox hotels, insurance, fees, tests, etc. Transport HKT-BKK.

Pretty easy to find this in minutes, hotel is the biggest variable I'd imagine. Some decent AirBNBs. Flights are flights, probably via NRT, on United (NH).  

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And add ASQ or sandbox hotels, insurance, fees, tests, etc. Transport HKT-BKK.

Pretty easy to find this in minutes, hotel is the biggest variable I'd imagine. Flights are flights, probably via NRT, on United (NH).

Hard to find info on ASQ hotels there.

Also, would one be "locked up" at the hotel there, or could one enjoy the beach or surroundings?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Guam loses in that category compared to the US mainland where there is much more to the accommodation spectrum.    The baseline for AirBNB rentals is right at $2200 a month for a basic 1br/1ba and it goes up quickly if you want more space.   (a local explained that that's around the amount that Uncle Sam gives our service members in housing stipends here so that is what most everyone charges).   Hotels... $100 to $500+ a night. 

On the plus side, there are only 190,000 people living on the island and if you believe the numbers, they are more than 80% fully vaccinated and they've administered over 210,000 doses.  So likely everyone has had at least one dose.   Also there doesn't seem to be any of that "they can put a mask on my cold dead face" sentiment that still is a thing on the mainland.... so on the whole it seems like a great place (it's a tiny America... They stop at stop signs and don't try to run you down in the crosswalks like in Phuket or Pattaya... Denny's grand slam breakfasts and all that) to watch how Covid unfolds elsewhere.   It's not completely Covid free.... There was an upshot in numbers a few days ago, 43 cases.    Before that it was 0 a day, a bunch of 1-3 case days....

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Hard to find info on ASQ hotels there.

Also, would one be "locked up" at the hotel there, or could one enjoy the beach or surroundings?

ASQ is for when you return to Thailand.    There is no quarantine here if you have a negative Covid test pre flight. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heng said:

ASQ is for when you return to Thailand.    There is no quarantine here if you have a negative Covid test pre flight. 

True. I misread that. No quarantine with a negatice PCR test.

Meaning, I wouldn't even need to stay there for the whole time. (Just fly in for the first, then second jab, while travelling to other places in between. Of course, I'd need another PCR test then.)

• Like 1