Is Port Forwarding still a Thing?

Daffy D

10 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Depends where the lost facility was before it got lost. :whistling:

You should have settings on the video player (VLCPlayer) and also on the TV.

No, not a TV, it's on my computer screen, instead of clicking on "Play with VLC Player", I would click on just "Play" and a box would appear at the bottom right hand corner of my screen, I can't remember exactly what it said, and I would just click on it, and the movie would change to cover my whole screen. Now that box does not appear at all. i have not changed or done anything, I suppose it's just a computer being a computer.

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No, not a TV, it's on my computer screen, instead of clicking on "Play with VLC Player", I would click on just "Play" and a box would appear at the bottom right hand corner of my screen, I can't remember exactly what it said, and I would just click on it, and the movie would change to cover my whole screen. Now that box does not appear at all. i have not changed or done anything, I suppose it's just a computer being a computer.

Does this now happen with just the one movie now? have you tried others maybe it's just this one?

When you click "Play" does the movie come up indicating which player you are using?

Obviously using a player, would be useful to know which one it is.

I all else fails install the latest VLCPlayer and make it your default player.

Rivers.JPG.f7e395ee712f2537bb3c0f31b0e23f28.JPG

55 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Does this now happen with just the one movie now? have you tried others maybe it's just this one?

When you click "Play" does the movie come up indicating which player you are using?

Obviously using a player, would be useful to know which one it is.

I all else fails install the latest VLCPlayer and make it your default player.

when the movie starts

1 I have tried many times. 2 It is still VLC. you can see it at the top of the screen when the movie starts. 3 It is VLC. 

I will try and reinstall it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Have Netflix updated their stupid interface so you can make shows you've watched without having to watch them on their platform?

I pay for Netflix but prefer to torrent the shows because I hate their stupid interface.  

Why not use Fmovies or 123Chill etc. place to watch all movies + series free.

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Why not use Fmovies or 123Chill etc. place to watch all movies + series free.

Because the quality is awful .. they reencode to the lowest bitrate to keep bandwidth usage down.

Spend 20k+ on a UHD TV to watch dog<deleted>e, no thanks. 

Do you aren’t against watching illegal obtained material then? 

On 8/13/2021 at 9:38 PM, recom273 said:

Yeah .. I have a couple of ports open for torrent clients - it enables me to connect to others in the trackers I use.

I also need to forward ports for a reverse proxy to access my media library remotely or share my ebook library

with my folks.

I don’t see it as a thing of the past, perhaps people are a bit too confident in UPnP. 

UPnP can do the PortForward things automatically. I am not a fan of the UPnP and always disable it, as I want to know which ports are open and why. Not that any program is allowed to open ports on my router.

But yes I think there are not many things left (for normal users) which need the use of Portforwards. One big exception seem torrent which I not use. Then VPN to access your infrastructure from outside....

And then there is the big problem that more and more ISPs hide you behind the NAT, so you can't use it anymore. This is one part I always check with a new ISP first, before I made my real change to the new ISP. It's worth for me to pay 1-2 month 2 ISPs only to make sure the new ISP really give me what I expect (never trust on the word of the seller), before I cancel the old one.

18 hours ago, recom273 said:

No, but you can do that with a website called Trakt, if you use Jellyfin or Plex media players (which has nothing to do with Netflix) it's a really good feature, I don't think its integrated into Netflix.

I use DuckieTV which lets me very easily mark what I've downloaded and what I've watched.  It also only displays the shows I've chosen to watch. 

I get that Netflix want to recommend stuff to us, but if I have no interest in something I want the option to permanently get it out of my face.  

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Because the quality is awful .. they reencode to the lowest bitrate to keep bandwidth usage down.

Spend 20k+ on a UHD TV to watch dog<deleted>e, no thanks. 

Do you aren’t against watching illegal obtained material then? 

Many place get HD quality these days. And when you are in Thailand many times quality is sht dosent matter you watch material what you have paid. This was about dowload torrent so i suggest other way.