Failed bike battery fix.

transam

There are times when a "dumb" charger is a handy thing to have.

Deep discharge is really not good for a lead-acid battery but if you re-charge it promptly it can recover, it likely won't have the life that it would have but should serve reasonably.

Amazing that the bike doesn't have some form of automatic "I'm not being ridden, I'd better switch off" arrangement.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There are times when a "dumb" charger is a handy thing to have.

I have a cheap charger with wet and dry settings what ever that matters, and it will charge a run flat, run dead whatever battery. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, transam said:

PS. The cheap battery shows 12.9 when I took it off the bike, so have a good spare.

Cheap Thai batteries I've use on bikes for a couple of years now. 

I drink Chang so when I saw Chang batteries for sale ???? I  bought one for a Wave 12v5amp 180baht. 

My Mrs never uses choke on her old Mio scoot so it gives a battery a hard time and run it flat. 

I swapped over the Chang battery to the Mio with the Wave one so that will be a good test. ????

The Wave only kick starts but the old Mio battery had enough to start the Wave and after a week of running it in the Wave checked the old battery and it reads nearly 13v so it not dead yet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I think it has, I/we just thought that is what happened. But, I did notice today, when I put the battery back in, that the orange engine light was on, so took the battery off and put the new one back, light still on, so there could be an underlying prob, though the new battery has been on for a month now.

Told her to take it to Yamaha to test stuff, which the handbook says..

Just remembered, she went through a flood on the thing, hmmmmm....

There's some guys who bought a jet ski and coverted it into a scooter, you and engineer so sorry get to it. ????????????

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's from the 2011 flood, were hybrid bikes even in country then?

Duct tape, tubing and jubilee clips are your friends. No idea how he treated the HT leads.

Keep the throttle reving until it dies. ????????

I'm surprised you had so much hassle with a flat battery, this must happen quite a lot...., I did it once, corner shop guy put it under his charger for 25min looked very old), gave it back to me, worked for 2 years after that until I sold it - must have been 2 years or so when that happened...! 

They just want to sell you a new battery those guys...

I think the un-smart charger is the solution then....! ????

So your experience is that if someone have a fairly new battery , then leaves the light on until it goes flat, then battery is dead and unusable after that - according to places you went to....!? A bit hard to believe....! Many people do the same around the world every day, I don't think they have to throw away and buy a new battery... ????

Anyway, glad you got yours going and good info....

My cheap 800 baht battery on my Blade is started to to lose it's charge,  so will change it,  it had a hard time discharging many times over one year getting the bike sorted out.

It has lasted 2 years though, anyways have ordered a OD devil battery from Lazada anyone tried them.? 

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Never tried a Devil, but most all batteries I have bought here have been - I would bet - made in the same factory.

All copies of Yuasa. The part number is even almost identical.

Just the first few characters different.

Yeah I'm ganna give it a try and see what life I can get out of it. 

It's only 500 baht I am a cheap skate. ????

• Like 1