Thailand rental laws (from 2018 "Consumer Protection Act")

Just wondering, I was looking into rental agreements on google and came across these rental laws that change in 2018.

However, I wanted to ask, do these only apply to "business'" or any rentals? I read it applies to rental business', anyone who rents 5 or more units, but figured I would ask for clarification. Because if it applies to all landlords, that would be nice to know, since I am signing a lease soon (most likely), and pretty much none of these are being followed in the lease.

Interestingly enough, these are laws similar in place in Canada, where the landlord is screwed by the law if they have a bad tenant, which is why I was curious.

Somethings that stuck out to me being :

- deposits need to be returned within 7 days of lease ending 

- tenants can give 30 days notice to the landlord to leave/break the lease, for a legitament reason (i.e moving back to home country)

- landlords can't change the locks/lock you out if you fail to pay rent

- landlords can't have you forfeit the deposit if you fail to pay rent

Thai Law: What Landlords Must Now Do (Or Go to Jail) (khaosodenglish.com)

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

However, I wanted to ask, do these only apply to "business'" or any rentals?

The law applies equally to any individual or any company renting a property, if the individual or the company rents out more than 5 units or houses or rooms or any combination thereof.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

The law applies equally to any individual or any company renting a property, if the individual or the company rents out more than 5 units or houses or rooms or any combination thereof.

So it's void for people renting out 1-4 units?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:18 PM, blackcab said:

I assume if you rent out a house with 5 rooms to one person it counts as one unit